My name is Jay, and I'm a food addict...

Options
I'm losing my battle with food on a daily basis. I have started doing some research on Over eaters Anonymous and support groups for food addiction. Has anyone else followed these programs or gone to these meetings?

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have not but I started researching it once too. At times in my life I would just eat and eat, sometimes until I was sick. The heavier I got, the worse my problems got, the more I'd eat. I do not do this any more, but I think I can relate. Hang in there, get some support, and you can do this!
  • fwankiesgirl
    Options
    Hi there,

I've never gone to a meeting myself, but I often check out the community to see if they offer anything. Unfortunately, I haven't found one. I struggle daily with food, so you are not alone in that. I've lost weight, put it on, and have yo-yo'd for years. I was so happy when I found myfitnesspal as it has really kept me accountable, and the people here that don't even know me are very encouraging. I lost 12lbs on my own and another 18 through MyFitnessPal. Good luck in your journey, it will be tough, but you can do it!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs a couple years ago, just with diet and exercise. I have been able to keep it off, but not lose anymore. I feel like I sabotage myself and makes lots of excuses.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a relative who is very active in OA. He has been successful and attends the meetings weekly. Like with anything else, I suspect one's success depends upon making a commitment to the program.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have not gone to an OA meeting, but found their online site (www.therecoverygroup.org) to be very helpful for me while I was working through my step work for AA.

I would say that if you think you might have a problem, go to their site and read some of their stories. Usually someone will tell a bit about where they were (addiction-wise) as a preface to their discussion of each step. If you see bits of yourself / your behavior, then you should consider the program.

Good luck, and may God bless you. Recognizing you have a problem is best done sooner rather than later.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good resource if you can get into a meeting!

You'll find that a lot of people on this site aren't as supportive as they should be, and can often leave you feeling worse off than you began.

So, going to a meeting would be great! Or even talking to a counselor would be a good alternative.

And if nothing else, find a friend who can understand where you're coming from and at least be a buffer for you. :flowerforyou:
  • kevinkalis
    Options
    I can say a lot about this subject, most of it from experience. IMO, any overeating is emotional. I personally overeat when I'm bored and- or unhappy, be it an inherent unhappiness with my life or a sudden event, my first thoughts always turn to food. The boredom thing I've gotten under control by just keeping myself occupied. This might not be easy to hear, but you'll have to take a long hard look at yourself, evaluate your life, your situation, be brutally honest and do a bit of soul searching. That's where you'll find the answer.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I can say a lot about this subject, most of it from experience. IMO, any overeating is emotional. I personally overeat when I'm bored and- or unhappy, be it an inherent unhappiness with my life or a sudden event, my first thoughts always turn to food. The boredom thing I've gotten under control by just keeping myself occupied. This might not be easy to hear, but you'll have to take a long hard look at yourself, evaluate your life, your situation, be brutally honest and do a bit of soul searching. That's where you'll find the answer.

I agree with you 100%. I'm just hoping to find a program that can guild me through the process. I know many people that have been to Al Anon, and it's seemed to help them figure things out. I'm not looking for a quick fix, but something is broken and I am willing to put in the work to make things better.