WALKING?? Exercise Questions

Options
I walk about 30-45 Minutes a day and 20 Squats....What else can I do? I Love walking and would rather just walk for now....I downloaded a pedometer and it helps track my steps....Kind of cool so I know how many Miles I walk a day :)

Feel Free to ADD Me...Love NEW Friends!!!

Replies

• chuckerickson1130
    Options
    "What else can I do?"

What is it you are trying to accomplish? If on a treadmill, raise the incline... You could also add leg or arm weights and tone your muscles while you walk....
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try to add pushups, you are doing great stuff with your lower body add a bit to your chest and shoulders. Start slow and don't get discouraged.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Weighted vests are the way to go :) I love walking too and to spice it up go to a park and hike in the woods :) I lost most of my weight walking and running! Keep going!
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    my primary form of exercise is walking too - love it! i did want to start doing something for my arms, tho, so i've added in wall pushups, resistance bands and some light dumbbells, which i try to use every day, even the ones on which i don't get my walk in. walking was doing wonders for my legs and i knew it was great cardio, but i didn't want to ignore my arms in the process. this definitely works for me. also, i did find an (extreme) beginner's 20 minute yoga routine online that i use a few times a week - it feels great to stretch everything out! ;)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Maybe some situps
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, walk quicker if you want to increase the burn. Try lunges and sumo squats.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I do want to get small weights so I can walk with them...I have done some sit ups..and arm circles if you know what that is HAHA...I am trying to take it slow so I don't have a lot of skin because I seen that happen :/
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WALK... that's how I have lost my weigh... and smaller servings... and WATER...
  • blondie_Kate
    blondie_Kate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, i like to walk on the beach, stoney uneaven ground works my muscles more.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Find a road with lots of hills.
    Find a place to hike.
    Add weights to your legs
    Try beating your time from the previous day's walk
    Try going an extra telephone poll every few days. -I did that and ended up with 6 mile walk every other day haha

When your ready (I know you don't wanna do this yet) but I thought Id put a bug in your ear:
    Try running down SMALL hills and walking the rest of the time. Its easier to transition from walking to jogging/running that way. -at least for me it was
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    walking is the only exercise I do, I love it! I do about 40 miles a week, try to find some hills, they burn loads more calories.get your self a heart rate moniter as well, MFP is'nt that accurate, I also use mapmywalk.com you can share your walks with the community and find new ones.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is familiar with Downtown Richmond, VA but we have Hills for days and the state capital is where I usually walk because there is a park there...Now I walk around the lake...I started walking it twice then the other day I walked it 3 times medium pace then twice slow but I am getting there...I Love it I didn't think I would since I am Lazy but it feels good to work out :p
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Sounds great, i like to walk on the beach, stoney uneaven ground works my muscles more.

I used to live in Virginia Beach, VA and walked along the shore but I moved so no more beach for me :(
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Find a road with lots of hills.
    Find a place to hike.
    Add weights to your legs
    Try beating your time from the previous day's walk
    Try going an extra telephone poll every few days. -I did that and ended up with 6 mile walk every other day haha

When your ready (I know you don't wanna do this yet) but I thought Id put a bug in your ear:
    Try running down SMALL hills and walking the rest of the time. Its easier to transition from walking to jogging/running that way. -at least for me it was

wow that sounds great I need to pick up some weights!!
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    walking is the only exercise I do, I love it! I do about 40 miles a week, try to find some hills, they burn loads more calories.get your self a heart rate moniter as well, MFP is'nt that accurate, I also use mapmywalk.com you can share your walks with the community and find new ones.

40 Miles?!! wow that is a bit much for me to do right now haha maybe next year ;)
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    WALK... that's how I have lost my weigh... and smaller servings... and WATER...

Thanks!!! Sounds Good!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Try to add pushups, you are doing great stuff with your lower body add a bit to your chest and shoulders. Start slow and don't get discouraged.

Great idea!

Push ups can be started on the wall, a step, a stable table or night stand.

When this exercise was suggested to me I balked because I knew there was no way I could do pushups! BUT when someone told me the modifications, I was off to the races.

Went from 10 wall push ups standing almost straight up, worked down on table, chair, stp and then the floor.

Honestly, this was very impowering:flowerforyou:
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    my primary form of exercise is walking too - love it! i did want to start doing something for my arms, tho, so i've added in wall pushups, resistance bands and some light dumbbells, which i try to use every day, even the ones on which i don't get my walk in. walking was doing wonders for my legs and i knew it was great cardio, but i didn't want to ignore my arms in the process. this definitely works for me. also, i did find an (extreme) beginner's 20 minute yoga routine online that i use a few times a week - it feels great to stretch everything out! ;)

I never tried Yoga...Maybe I should
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you want to challenge yourself a little more, you can get weights that attach with velcrow to your wrists and ankles while you walk. I lost 35lbs in 6wks just from low-cal diet and walking 3hrs a day (this was years ago). Walking is the best basic cardio out there, especially for beginners in the exercising world.
  • 1lexisva
    Options

Great idea!

Push ups can be started on the wall, a step, a stable table or night stand.

When this exercise was suggested to me I balked because I knew there was no way I could do pushups! BUT when someone told me the modifications, I was off to the races.

Went from 10 wall push ups standing almost straight up, worked down on table, chair, stp and then the floor.

Honestly, this was very impowering:flowerforyou:

I do the girl push ups for now lol