Anyone Taking Vitamins or Supplements?

Options

Replies

• kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the number two item sieved out of “port a potties” before they are allowed to dump the effluent is whole multivitamin pills (soda and beer containers hold the #1 position). This is because many multivitamins are only about 10% useable ingredients, pressed in milk powder or corn starch, and coated in plastic.

If anyone wants to know if their vitamins are breaking down within an acceptable amount of time, you can bring about a cup of white vinegar to as close to 98.6 by placing it in a little bit bigger container of warm water. Drop your vitamin into the vinegar. Now maintain this temp as best you can for the duration of the test by topping up with tap water for 30 minutes. Jostle it around a little every so often. If your vitamin doesnt dissolve in one hour you need to change your brand.

ETA: it is recommended that it should dissolve within the 30 minutes; 45 for sure.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have taken about every vitamin and supplement made at some point I think...most really dont do much and I have heard that taking multi's and any vitamins that specifically help certain defic you may have are all you really need. Me personally I take:

Green Tea Extract
    Garlic Pills (non odor)
    Alpha Lipoic Acid
    Policonsol
    Vitamin B
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Fish oil
    CoQ10
    Liquid multi vitamin (has every imaginable vitamin needed for good health)
    Bloat Away (water pill)
    Tri Flex (for joints)
    Green tea extract
    100% whey protein
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yup, some multivitamin stuff for my nails and hair cause i lack some minerals and essential nutrients and my nails always broke and are very fragile
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    All of these were prescribed to go with my doctor monitored reduced calorie high protein diet.

Omega 3(Fish oil),
    Vitamin B-50,
    Multi,
    Calcium,
    D3-500
    Fiber
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I take Flintstone's complete multivitamin with Iron...am slightly anemic...I stopped having severe cramps since I've been taking them...no other multi or Iron supplement did that for me. Yes, the one for children that is chewable.

I used to take a calcium supplement, but stopped due to the controversy surrounding them...doc has not recommended them since.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do. I take:
    Biotin
    Niacin
    B6
    St Johns
    Ginko
    D (now that it's not summer and we're not outside as much, boo)
    and a muti.

The biotin is for my hair (it makes your hair grow like crazy) and the B6 is for energy. The niacin/st johns/ginko is a mood booster. The combo of those have made a massive difference in my life.

I take almost the same!
    Multivitamin for women (skin, hair, nail),
    Biotin 5000 (prescribed by my doctor to stop hair loss, it has significant effect on my hair)
    Vitamin D (also prescribed to stop the hair loss)
    Ginko (for brain function, prescribed by my therapist)
    Q10 (recommended by my esthetician)
    Evening primrose oil (omega 3-6-9 and its good for women's health. It was prescribed by my gynecologist).
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    A good multi-vitamin that has almost everything in it every day that I remember. (most days!)

And occasionally a mixed fish oil tablet when I remember... about once a week. It makes my burps smell of fish! Should probably take that more though.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Gaspari Myofusion
    Gaspari SuperPump Max
    Gaspari Aminolast
    Gaspari Anavite
    Gaspari Glutamine
    Gaspari Qualatine
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Finding that they really help, especially with appetite. I think my brain monitors for nutrients as well as calories, so I can be well over for calories ina day and still want to eat if I haven't had enough vitamin C etc for the day.

So each day I take:

Viridian - Sports Multi, 1 capsule
    Solgar - Super Cod Liver Oil Complex With Added Epa, Dha & A+D, 1 softgel
    Solgar - Vitamin E 67mg, 1 softgel
    Solgar - Vitamin C With Rosehips, 1 tablet
    Solgar - Chelated Copper, 1 tablet
    Solgar - Calcium Magnesium Plus Zinc, 3 Tablets
    Solgar - Gentle Iron , 1 capsule

Based this on this page from Oregon State University
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w03/multi.html

Made sure I had everything listed there covered, couldn't find one supplement that would do it,so have ended up taking a few.

Hope this helps.
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    * Gaspari anavite 3 In 1
    * dymatize elite isolate protein drink
    * magnum isolate protein drink
    * Gaspari myfusion protein drink (either one)
    * CLA
    * ZMA
    * vit c with zinc n vit b in between when needed.
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    for those that take more than 2 or 3 supplements a day - do you take them all at the same time or do you space them out over the course of a day? I only take the 3 but I take them all at once.
  • cue_chik
    Options
    What caught your eye to start taking vitamins?
    And is there something that you are trying to over come? Like acid reflux, headaches etc..

I started taking them because I wasn't eating properly at all... and my poor body was suffering for it. Constant fatigue, feeling run down and drained all of the time and looking that way - so I decided to take a few supplements while trying to ease back into eating a healthier and steadier diet.
  • cue_chik
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for your input. I've looked into most of the vitamins/supplements everyone has listed. I feel that since I have/am improving my diet, I probably don't need most of them since I'm getting them adequately from my food, but there are a few I am considering adding to my morning doses! Biotin being one and possibly alpha-lipoic acid, I'll have to read more about it!
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I hate cheese, so I eat very little animal products (eggs and the occasional milk based, non cheesy thing like ice-cream). I am taking B12 supplements, because my diet is not that different from a vegan one and I am afraid this may cause a B12 deficit.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and an iron supplement. Both are because I've got health issues and they're supposed to help. The multivitamin doesn't seem to do anything for me, but I see no harm in continuing with it. The iron is something my mum wanted me to take to see if it would help me feel better. So far (I've only been on it for two weeks) I haven't noticed any difference. Still hoping!
  • hedgehogia
    hedgehogia Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    mvi
    vit d
    psyllium fiber caps
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    A women's Multivitamin
    A calcium with D supplement (Oscal) (my doctor said my levels where low and osteoporosis runs in my family)
    Omega-3 EPA
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I take a Womens One-a-Day Multivitamin daily along with Biotin Supplement for my Hair/Nails/Skin. I may start taking Fish Oil as well.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm really concerned about skin sagging and I read that vitamin A helps skin retain it's elasticity. So in addition to fiber and a regular multivitamin I also take an extra vitamin A.