Can't trust the scales!

Options
I worked my butt off this last fortnight to try to break thorugh a weight loss plateau.

This morning my bathroom scales said, "no change" :sad: what?!

When I got into work, where they have a nice set of body composition analyzer scales, they showed I had dropped 2lbs fat and put on 2lbs muscle mass! :bigsmile:

Jus' goes ta show - ya can't trust the home scales! :noway:

Replies

• spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had tons of scales. The last one was from weight watchers and I weigh 197 but if I used that I could go as low as 176 than a minute later 168 than 184 than 203. Wow was it ever way off lol. Good for you though, goodbye 2 lbs of unwanted fat
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Right now I am stressing so hard about having to get on the scale. And I know it will be good. My clothes are all looking amazing. I am just a major stress case right now.
    ongrats on the 2 lost 2 gained thing. 2 lb of muscle is no joke.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you! The thing now is - how do I record my fat-weight reduction, when I am gaining weight in lean mass? It is hard to ditch the scales and rely on the tape measure when I have been relying on the scales for so long!

OK - I can rely on the works body composition scales and that is great, but the My Fitness Pal weight reduction report is no loinger meaningful. It basically shows I am not losing body fat when actually I am, but also gaining lean mass; strange I know, but true - beginner gains I guess.

[edit: I guess my lean body mass gains will settle again (can't expect a 2lb gain of muscle mass too often?!) and my losses will hopefully be mostly body fat again, in which case the MFP reduction display will start to make sense again.]

Any tips?
  • susyw_2003
    Options
    Ergh i find the same! The ones at work (weight watcher ones) always show me at least 3lbs heavier than my ones at home and ones at my boyfriends house.. its hard to know what to believe so whilst i keep an eye on my scale weight, ive learnt to depend on the tape measure and the way my clothes fit.

As for the weight plateau, I plateau'd for 8 weeks, and the way i broke it was upped my water intake, switched from pure cardio to cardio and weight training and stuck it out.

Good luck xx
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Ergh i find the same! The ones at work (weight watcher ones) always show me at least 3lbs heavier than my ones at home and ones at my boyfriends house.. its hard to know what to believe so whilst i keep an eye on my scale weight, ive learnt to depend on the tape measure and the way my clothes fit.

As for the weight plateau, I plateau'd for 8 weeks, and the way i broke it was upped my water intake, switched from pure cardio to cardio and weight training and stuck it out.

Good luck xx

I am hoping increase weight training is going to help me. I'm within my healthy weight range . I have stayed within my calories for two months but not lost a thing.
  • nataliesherrie
    Options
    I totally get what yoy mean!!! I have stayed on track since july & my scales constantly mess around! I have decided to go with the measurements more now.. Hoping to see the change with that. Plus i have been taking more regular photos of myself. For a start i couldnt really notice much, but when you look at where the tape measure is saying that you loose the weight, so can actually see the difference.
    Keep up the good work everyone :) xx