Oatmeal yuck

Options

Replies

• shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just hate hot oatmeal. I do refrigerator oatmeal(google it) or baked oatmeal. My favorite baked oatmeal is from Sugar Free Mom's blog. Sooooo good.
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time. Need to get over texture. I use 1/4 cup oats, 1/2 cup water with blueberries..Cook it all at once. Microwave - 50% power for 3 minutes. Came out ok. Definitely love the low calories and I get my Vitamin C too! I think I will try with peaches tomorrow.
  • joebob66
    Options
    i used to use instant also...try this......1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, 1 cup water..1 serving raisins. microwave 2 minutes....slice a banana on top....microwave for 40 more seconds....you have a perfect bowl of oatmeal, no sugar needed! if you use quick oats, microwave only 1 minute 40 secs the first time
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to hate oatmeal until I found out that I'm just really particular about preparation. I recommend finding a brand of good, steel cut oats and following the package directions exactly. Personally, I use Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal, because I really like how creamy the texture is.

I will warn you that this kind of oatmeal does take a while to cook, approximately 20 minutes with my brand, but it really is worth it.

And of course, after it's cooked you can top it with fruit, cream, nuts, whatever makes you happy. Or you can put some dried fruit and a little spice in while it's cooking.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. I can't stand the taste/texture of rolled oats but love the steel cut. I make mine with water, on the stove top, using the directions on the package. Then I add a teaspoon of brown sugar and some raisins. I make a big batch on weekends sometimes and one portion fits perfectly in a 1c wide mouth mason jar. Then I just reheat in the microwave (add a little water if it gets too thick).
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I find it helps if I put bacon and eggs on it.

Yes, and perhaps skip the oatmeal.

Problem solved.

This^^
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I bring mine to a boil and then turn the heat down a little bit and cook it for five minutes - stirring a lot. Then I turn off the fire and cover it and let it sit for a few minutes. It's perfect every time - like everything I do.
    [/quote]

<this> I usually add a dash of cold milk to loosen up the oats a bit...then add in agave nectar & PB.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is one of those things you either find a way to deal with, or you break out the bacon and eggs and do not bother with again LOL \m/
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I have this almost every morning for breakfast...if I can do it, you can too.

Oversized cup or bowl (you'll need it), 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup water or milk (I prefer skim), salt.
    Microwave for 1 minute and 45 seconds. Add fixins (raisins, brown sugar, syrup, chocolate chips, whatever you want) stir and enjoy!

You're welcome.
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Also adding in egg white when cooking makes it extremely creamy and boost the protein content :-)
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Have you ever tried taking plain ol' rolled oats - not quick oats - (maybe some dried fruit and a bit of sugar or stevia), putting enough boiling water over them to let them soak it all up, then adding in some warmed milk before you eat it?

Completely different texture.

The bakery near work serves oatmeal that way -- now that's how I make it at my desk, if it's not 'overnight oatmeal.' In fact, the water isn't even boiling. I just run water through my CBTL Coffee Maker for it, before I make an espresso. But it's good enough when I toss a lid on the bowl and let it soak.

Admittedly, it was a surprise that it would taste good that way. I mean, everyone cooks the heck out of it, right?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Skip oatmeal, eat peanut butter.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I just made my first attempt at fixing oatmeal at home. I tried to make maple and brown sugar oatmeal and it was disgusting. How does someone ruin oatmeal? lol. I cooked the oats for about 5 minutes, the container said to cook for about 8. Could that have affected the tasted that much? Or am I so used to Quaker Instant it's going to take some getting used to ?

What didn't you like? The texture? Taste? Was it burnt or something?
    It was probably more chewey then you are used to if you usually have instant.

It was more chewy, and it tasted like the oats smelled in the container, I just assumed that was how it was supposed to be.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    What brand of oatmeal are you eating that is low carbs?
  • adm603
    adm603 Posts: 48
    Options
    I hate oatmeal, but everyone kept telling me that it helps to lose weight and keep you satisfied longer. I only can eat the instant Apple and Cinnamon one. I do find that it has helped the weightloss. I don't think it keeps me full any longer though.
  • kvcreed
    kvcreed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The perfect oatmeal is a personal artform. I find it easiest to place some old fashion oats in a bowl (not too much mind you, a bottomfull is usually enough for a lunch in my case), mix in some cinnamon, and then I use skimmed milk. I find it tastes better and gets me some calcium.
    Into the microwave it goes for 2,5 minutes, stir in some milk after (I like mine thick so I don't put a lot of milk into it to cook it, but rather add it later) and add some raisins. The cinnamon is sweet enough so no sugar is needed.
    Dried apples, dates, and nuts can be a great add when you're feeling like a pick me up :)

I hate making oatmeal on a stovetop, I could literally burn water so I will totally burn it there, and the pots are a pain to clean properly...and I feel it always gets soggy and slimey...
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My oatmeal is Quaker 1minute oats. 1cup water, 1/2 cup oatmeal, in the microwave for 1 minute 35 seconds, stir and cook for the same time again, add a dash of salt and a few shakes of cinnamon with the oatmeal before cooking. When cooked use blueberries or maple syrup on top and skim milk. I just use about 1/2 teaspoon of regular sugar and that is my breakfast 5 mornings a week. Hope this helps, good luck with your program.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the microwave. One cup of water, 1/2 cup oats (I like Trader Joe's Multi-Grain hot cereal), a dash of salt, microwave two minutes. Stir, two more minutes, done. I add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, some fresh fruit (blueberries are my favorite, but pears, peaches, banana works too), a handful of walnuts, a Tbs of honey, and shake some cinnamon over the whole mess. It is delicious.

And now I need to get off my butt and go run in the fog so I can get back and eat my oatmeal! :tongue:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Real oats are a stronger flavour and they are a little more chewy, the quick cook stuff is processed - flaked, steamed and dried. Try soaking the oats overnight in MILK not water, then cook slowly stirring continuously until it is as thick and creamy as you like it. In the UK only Scottish people cook oats with water then you need to drown with unhealthy sugar or salt for flavour (actually they often use steel cut not whole rolled anyway), English people generally use milk and you don't need half as much added rubbish.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just made my first attempt at fixing oatmeal at home. I tried to make maple and brown sugar oatmeal and it was disgusting. How does someone ruin oatmeal? lol. I cooked the oats for about 5 minutes, the container said to cook for about 8. Could that have affected the tasted that much? Or am I so used to Quaker Instant it's going to take some getting used to ?

1/2 cup Wholesome goodness old fashion oats, 1 tsp veg. spread, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1.5 tsp aunt jemima original, 1 tsp cinnamon. 1 cup water.

Stirred the oats into boiling water, reduced heat to medium. Cooked for about 5 minutes and they started getting thick so I removed and added the other ingredients.

Edited to add ingredients and procedure. I really didn't anyone would respond lol.

I refuse to eat boiled oats. To me, it's super disgusting, mushy mess. I bake my oatmeal in a sheet pan and cut it into single serving bars. I add peanut butter, brown sugar, hemp seeds and protein powder. Sometimes I have added a bit of cocoa powder too. It's like getting oatmeal cookies for breakfast, but healthier. Yum!