Trust: Earn it or Give it

Options
Ever have a teacher who started the school year off with all students having 100% and it was up to you to screw it up? I found I worked harder to keep my 100% and it felt better than having to earn up to it.

With trust, do you find you start people off with 100% or make them earn it? I used to trust everyone up front because if I didn't know them then they gave me no reason not to trust them. I trusted my instincts. After my divorce I went through a pretty big phase of not trusting anyone, but that just attracted people who were negative and untrustworthy. So, I'm trying to get back to the give 100% up front again, but it's a little harder than expected.

Just curious how you handle trust: give it or earn it?

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    tumblr_me9h1nPwzQ1rakg1r.gif
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Better than just break up...I like pictures.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Trust is always earned, never given.

Same goes for respect.
  • __F4t2f1t__
    Options
    trust no one
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at picking people out, I'd like to think, but I can be too nice at times.

Lea, for instance, has been in my old Western-style jail for about 6 months. No way I'm letting her out to shoot up the Saloon again. Not with Old Betsy running it. She'd whip my hide.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    trust no one

WHO THE HELL ASKED YOU?
  • __F4t2f1t__
    Options
    trust no one

WHO THE HELL ASKED YOU?

lol
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good at picking people out, I'd like to think, but I can be too nice at times.

Lea, for instance, has been in my old Western-style jail for about 6 months. No way I'm letting her out to shoot up the Saloon again. Not with Old Betsy running it. She'd whip my hide.
    *dies*

I choked on my coffee, thanks.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    31011491_5233.jpg
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm a give it kinda girl.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Start at 50%, at which point more can be gained or lost.

Also, I dig ketchup on Mac & Cheese.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    One must buy my trust in installments.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Trust is a dish best served cold.
  • wildcata77
    Options

You just dropped to 25% on my scale. Ketchup is disgusting. Also, mayo.

I'm a mustard person.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options

You just dropped to 25% on my scale. Ketchup is disgusting. Also, mayo.

I'm a mustard person.
    Oh, that's a shame. I don't know how I will ever sleep tonight. :yawn:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Respect is earned.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I trust people (irl) after I give them little tests and judge how they respond. Tell them a secret, see if they blow it, etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Instinct. If my gut tells me to trust them then they get 50% and have to earn the rest.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    Sadly, we live in a world where one minute a stranger will help you out with a flat tire or maybe lift something heavy into your truck. And the next minute trample you to death to get a deal on a flat screen TV.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I trust everyone to be human. Knowing they will make mistakes and bad judgments. I go with the flow and if for some reason a person does something to impact my life negatively I make note of it. Just because someone doesn't follow through on a promise doesn't mean I completely lose trust. If I know a friend is a good listener but is always late I will not trust them to be on time but I will trust that when they do show up they will listen. That goes for the people close in my life. As for strangers I don't trust anyone with my life or to have my best interest in mind. I trust them to be strangers. They don't know me and I don't know them.

If I am paying you to do a job I trust you will do that job. If you don't I will not do business with you anymore.

I guess it all depends on the type of relationship you're talking about.