Need some help with Self Sabotage

Replies

• sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Kidnaping is a crime and is not OK. This should not even be a possibility. Do you have a restraining order? At least are all your friends/family aware of the risk and know what to do should you turn up missing? Yikes. Wishing you the best.
  • sylviatx
    EW LOL!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 614 Member
    I am going through the same thing right now. I was going to post about it, but like you posted you would get the good ol Nike quote "Just do it.". I know what I need to do, but just can't. I have no idea why.
  • sylviatx

"Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. CHOOSE YOUR HARD." I've made my decision!!

I love this!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    I don't know how you are going about choosing foods for your diet, but are you being too restrictive? Are you labeling certain foods as "good" and/or "bad"? Are you giving up too many of the foods you love for fear they will hinder weight loss?

Sounds like you binge because you gave up too many things at one time. Often times that leads to frustration and then failure. Try looking at food differently. You should be able to eat most anything as long as you stay under your calorie goal and hit your carb/protein/fat goals. Plan out your days so that you can fit in a few snacks that you enjoy.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 270 Member
    You really have to look inside because the food is not the issue. I have a fear of being viewed as sexy and as much weight as I have lost and more I want to lose I still have to deal with that fear. For me the compulsive eating is all about my emotions not hunger, and trying to fill a void. I just try and do something fun or be active instead of sitting down with the entire bag of chips or the cookies. If I stay busy I don't even thing about being lonely, feeling unloved, having the weight of the world on my shoulders as a child. Hope this helps.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    You need to make small, gradual changes to your lifestyle. If you are honestly serious about losing weight, you know it will take a long time. There are no quick fixes if you do it right. Take one bad habit, and gradually change it. I used to eat 2 donuts every morning. Yep! I started having 1 per day for a while until I got used to it (and I messed up a few times and got 2, but I made sure I was comfortable with getting just 1), then every other day, etc. I haven't had a donut in about 3 months, but it took me a long time to get to that point. And I know if I ever want one, I can get one and just factor it into my calories for the day, but I know I will be starving 5 minutes later. It's not worth the calories (most of the time).

Take whatever it is that you think is causing you the most problems. Sweets? Cheesy things like pizza or casseroles? Soda? Whatever your biggest problem area is, slowly start chipping away at it. Take it one day at a time. Start trying to stay under calorie goals, but set your calories high at first so you can get used to it, and slowly lower them when you feel comfortable.

I know it sounds sucky and probably not what you wanted to hear, but I had very similar problems with sabotaging myself and this is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me. I feel like I am in control of my life again, and trust me, it's worth it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Simple answer.... STOP making excuses.

As the wise Yoda once said.... there is no try, there is only do, or do not.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    I don't know how you are going about choosing foods for your diet, but are you being too restrictive? Are you labeling certain foods as "good" and/or "bad"? Are you giving up too many of the foods you love for fear they will hinder weight loss?

Sounds like you binge because you gave up too many things at one time. Often times that leads to frustration and then failure. Try looking at food differently. You should be able to eat most anything as long as you stay under your calorie goal and hit your carb/protein/fat goals. Plan out your days so that you can fit in a few snacks that you enjoy.

^this times a million
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    A lifetime of previous bad habits will not just disappear. It takes time and effort to re-learn new habits & behaviors.

Everybody will have days (weeks, months, etc) of this when they are re-learning. I do it, but I am getting better at fighting the urges. I'm also learning better choices of what I can eat, so I'm trying to replace one thing with a better version. And sometimes... I say screw it and eat what I want. But I don't pretend that I'm not doing it, I am trying to force myself to see what I'm doing and how I can change but not deny myself everything fun.

It takes time, effort and will power. It can be done.... it's not an easy road or nobody would ever worry about it.

Just take one step at a time - record EVERYTHING. Honestly. Then step back and look at what you've done and see if you can find healthier alternatives. One trick an old pych doc of mine told me was to record (written) how I was feeling when I felt driven to hit the junk food (or even just plain eat). Look at the entries - see if your eating from stress, boredom, anger, etc.

:) good luck (to you and everyone - we all need it :flowerforyou: )
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Oh. From the title I thought you wanted suggestions on delicious ways to sabotage yourself. My bad. Well let me know if you do.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    I find it really hard to stay on track if I am cutting things out completely - so I usually plan for a treat, several times a week and make sure that it fits into my daily food/exercise limits. I mean sometimes you just wanna eat ten cookies, lol - but if you are having one or two and stopping there on a regular basis - there's no problem with that.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    I think what you're experiencing is very normal. It's what makes losing weight so hard... the behavioral aspects.

I'm a stress eater. One bad week at work and my self-control tends to go out the window for a couple of weeks until I finally drift back onto the wagon. I don't expect to ever get over it, but I am getting better at it. For what it's worth, here's some strategies that have helped me to improve it.

1) Have a mantra: Mine is 'don't turn a slip up into a give up'. I don't know why that one rang true for me, but it did, and it helps. Find yours.

2) Redefine your goal. It should be something along the lines of "healthy and happy" rather than "below 210lbs".

3) Try to redefine your relationship with food. The fact that you used the term "junk food" in your post says a lot. Most people who yo-yo diet have overly strict definitions of what food is 'good' and what is 'bad', and as a result they fall into cyclical patterns of self-punishment when they eat a perceived 'junk food' item. On the contrary, most of the really successful people on mfp have a healthy relationship with food, they allow themselves treats and fast food, just within the boundaries of their daily calorie allowances. I would even go as far as to suggest having a once-weekly meal of something you consider 'junk' to prove to yourself it can be okay and life can go on normally. I had Taco Bell yesterday. It was delicious, and I came in under cals regardless.

4) Try mindful eating. I recommend the book "Savor" by Thich Naht Hahn.

5) Try to develop a love affair with food. It sounds counter intuitive, but the more I dig into culinary arts, the better I find myself eating. You just don't want that frozen pizza when you know you can make a fresh, delicious and nutritious one just as quickly.

6) Remind yourself at least once a week that weight loss is *never* a descending straight-line graph, but it always has jags and peaks. You go up and down, up and down... the trick is to try to keep the *general* trend going down. I'm trying a new strategy where, regardless of my performance during the year, I try to end each year 10lbs lighter than the year before. By having that set point goal, I can swell up in the summer (at least I did this summer) and still end the year on the downward trend.

7) Modify behaviors that put you into contact with your weakness foods. I take a different route home from work so I don't pass any restaurants or gas stations that might tempt me in during a stressful day. And I try not to keep things in the fridge that I know I tend to binge on (sadly, my favorite food - cheese - is one of them.)

8) Don't deny yourself anything. I don't keep cheese in the fridge (see #7 above) but I do let myself have a delish cheese sandwich now and then. nom nom.

9) It helps me to remind myself that I tend to feel better when I'm eating better and working out. And ultimately, isn't that the only reason to do it? Weight loss goals and health or longetivity hopes and dreams have a place, but it's feeling good about yourself each day that really counts. If you can find a way - some kind of personal mental trick - to keep that in your consciousness, then you'll have more success.

10) Build up an awesome wall of supportive mfp friends. Drop anyone who holds beliefs that will steer you towards your own problem areas (such as divisive white/black thinking about "junk" food for instance).

Hope something there helps.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    stop thinking about it and talking about it and just put your money where your mouth is already
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!

*runs and hides*

:bigsmile:

sorry.
  • Carrie_704
    Carrie_704 Posts: 24 Member
    I think this is very common. Fear is the why.. I've been to two therapists and I still cant figure out why I keep doing this to myself. I gain and lose the same 20 lbs over and over again.. not sure why!

I think everyone is different. Having someone hold you accountable helps. I have a buddy who has the same goals as me. It helps keeping me motivated since I feel less alone.

Good luck!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!

*runs and hides*

:bigsmile:

sorry.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    I think what you're experiencing is very normal. It's what makes losing weight so hard... the behavioral aspects.

I'm a stress eater. One bad week at work and my self-control tends to go out the window for a couple of weeks until I finally drift back onto the wagon. I don't expect to ever get over it, but I am getting better at it. For what it's worth, here's some strategies that have helped me to improve it.

1) Have a mantra: Mine is 'don't turn a slip up into a give up'. I don't know why that one rang true for me, but it did, and it helps. Find yours.

2) Redefine your goal. It should be something along the lines of "healthy and happy" rather than "below 210lbs".

3) Try to redefine your relationship with food. The fact that you used the term "junk food" in your post says a lot. Most people who yo-yo diet have overly strict definitions of what food is 'good' and what is 'bad', and as a result they fall into cyclical patterns of self-punishment when they eat a perceived 'junk food' item. On the contrary, most of the really successful people on mfp have a healthy relationship with food, they allow themselves treats and fast food, just within the boundaries of their daily calorie allowances. I would even go as far as to suggest having a once-weekly meal of something you consider 'junk' to prove to yourself it can be okay and life can go on normally. I had Taco Bell yesterday. It was delicious, and I came in under cals regardless.

4) Try mindful eating. I recommend the book "Savor" by Thich Naht Hahn.

5) Try to develop a love affair with food. It sounds counter intuitive, but the more I dig into culinary arts, the better I find myself eating. You just don't want that frozen pizza when you know you can make a fresh, delicious and nutritious one just as quickly.

6) Remind yourself at least once a week that weight loss is *never* a descending straight-line graph, but it always has jags and peaks. You go up and down, up and down... the trick is to try to keep the *general* trend going down. I'm trying a new strategy where, regardless of my performance during the year, I try to end each year 10lbs lighter than the year before. By having that set point goal, I can swell up in the summer (at least I did this summer) and still end the year on the downward trend.

7) Modify behaviors that put you into contact with your weakness foods. I take a different route home from work so I don't pass any restaurants or gas stations that might tempt me in during a stressful day. And I try not to keep things in the fridge that I know I tend to binge on (sadly, my favorite food - cheese - is one of them.)

8) Don't deny yourself anything. I don't keep cheese in the fridge (see #7 above) but I do let myself have a delish cheese sandwich now and then. nom nom.

9) It helps me to remind myself that I tend to feel better when I'm eating better and working out. And ultimately, isn't that the only reason to do it? Weight loss goals and health or longetivity hopes and dreams have a place, but it's feeling good about yourself each day that really counts. If you can find a way - some kind of personal mental trick - to keep that in your consciousness, then you'll have more success.

10) Build up an awesome wall of supportive mfp friends. Drop anyone who holds beliefs that will steer you towards your own problem areas (such as divisive white/black thinking about "junk" food for instance).

Hope something there helps.

That was freaking great. I'm sure it will help a lot of people!
  • katepsher
    katepsher Posts: 10 Member
    I had been struggling with the same issue for a couple years. Then a few months back I realized that the reason I self-sabotaged is because I never really believed I could make the change in the first place. In the back of my mind I really thought I'd always be stuck at the weight I was at, never able to achieve success. I didn't believe that I was able to work toward a goal and reach it. That's what other, driven people did, but not me. I have a history of not finishing the things I start (is what I've been telling myself) and this was just one more thing on that list of failures. I don't know how else to explain it besides that, but I believe that's the reason for my own personal self-sabotage. Every time I'd see a visible sign of success I'd suddenly start eating and stop trying. Then I'd be right - see? I knew I couldn't do it.

Anyhoo, not sure if I'm explaining that in a way that makes sense. Makes sense to me. Enough sense that I decided to actively think differently about the outcome, now that I know what was going on in the background without my knowing it. That little bit of knowledge has shaped the way I'm approaching things this time.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Kidnaping is a crime and is not OK. This should not even be a possibility. Do you have a restraining order? At least are all your friends/family aware of the risk and know what to do should you turn up missing? Yikes. Wishing you the best.

I had a restraining order and he kidnapped me while it was still in effect. So when he went to jail, that was one of the charges against him. It has since expired and I've been told I cannot put it back into effect until he does something to cause me to. He has joint custody of our two kids so unfortunately he's in the picture. However, I don't talk to him or even get near him and my hubby goes with me to the "drop off". Everyone in my family knows what's happened to me and will know it's him if something happens to me again.