Sound like a healthy/clean diet?

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You've argued with everyone except the one person who also likes routine. If all you wanted was validation you should have phrased it differently.

If it works for you keep doing it. If it doesn't work for you change something.

I didn't really see what I was doing as arguing? I've simply stated that eating generally the same thing every day works for me. I just simply wanted to know rather it was a healthy diet or not. And, that despite the fact it may seem like I'm not getting enough calories, I really do manage to eat about 1600 every day.

I've got no issue with eating the same thing every day. I could do it probably 5 days a week easily but my wife and kids would stage a coup. If you're hitting your macros and getting enough calories to fuel what you're doing on a daily basis then it's a healthy diet. MFP can help you see where you are with those numbers. If you want to eat clean, wipe the dirt off your food when you drop it and rock on.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It looks like a very healthy diet; lots of fruits and veggies. I eat more or less the same way, and to those who don't believe it, yes it is possible to consume 1600 calories eating this way. Do what feels right for you.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    You've argued with everyone except the one person who also likes routine. If all you wanted was validation you should have phrased it differently.

If it works for you keep doing it. If it doesn't work for you change something.

I didn't really see what I was doing as arguing? I've simply stated that eating generally the same thing every day works for me. I just simply wanted to know rather it was a healthy diet or not. And, that despite the fact it may seem like I'm not getting enough calories, I really do manage to eat about 1600 every day.

I've got no issue with eating the same thing every day. I could do it probably 5 days a week easily but my wife and kids would stage a coup. If you're hitting your macros and getting enough calories to fuel what you're doing on a daily basis then it's a healthy diet. MFP can help you see where you are with those numbers. If you want to eat clean, wipe the dirt off your food when you drop it and rock on.

I eat a little different from time to time, but this diet is just what works for me so long as it's healthy. I usually always hit the right protein amounts and get more than enough fiber. Thank you. :)
  • virginialeeh
    virginialeeh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's good that you don't eat any empty calories. Its good to make them all count towards nutrition. But I hope u enjoy what you're eating. I've only lost so much weight bc I eat things that keep me interested. Something new every day
  • mariku_king
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has given me opinions. I never meant to seem like I didn't appreciate it or wouldn't listen to your advice. I simply wanted to clarify the fact I am getting enough calories and that my diet works for me. I do change things up a bit, different fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. This was just a general idea and I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to argue or anything.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    That's good that you don't eat any empty calories. Its good to make them all count towards nutrition. But I hope u enjoy what you're eating. I've only lost so much weight bc I eat things that keep me interested. Something new every day

I do really enjoy what I'm eating and i try to make every calorie count.
  • __F4t2f1t__
    Options
    With the exception of a little something here and there, of course...

Breakfast is typically healthy whole grain cereal with skim milk and some fruit, like strawberries and bananas, or toast with peanut butter on whole grain bread

Lunch is generally omelets with vegetables, or a salad with 4 -5 different veggies, some sort of meat and maybe some fruit

Dinner is a salad with chicken, and some almonds

I drink a lot of water, and I drink some green tea, no sugar added.

You need more fats
  • mariku_king
    Options

Breakfast is typically healthy whole grain cereal with skim milk and some fruit, like strawberries and bananas, or toast with peanut butter on whole grain bread

Lunch is generally omelets with vegetables, or a salad with 4 -5 different veggies, some sort of meat and maybe some fruit

You need more fats

I'm not sure how else to get healthy fats. I can't afford to by healthy oils or things like that. And I can't ask my Mom to buy it either.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's fine. The issue I would take with it is that you are training your body to live on such a fixed thing. If you can handle it for the rest of your life, that's great, but otherwise I would expect you to lose weight just fine on it, reach your goal weight, change your diet a touch, and pile any weight you lost back on.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Hi there.

"Whole Grain" cereals and breads and skim milk are very highly processed foods. I hardly find them to be clean foods.

I agree with some of the other comments about the limited foods being boring also. Variety is the spice of life and there are tons of vegetables and fruits out there to try.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This is obviously a clean diet. No sugar, very little fat and no white starch. Why are you even asking? What do you want, a pat on the back?
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    "Clean" for me means cutting back on dairy. But if your stomach handles it just fine, skim milk works. However, you may want to look into almond milk and other alternative milks. They can actually offer more nutrients for MUCH less calories (1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk is only 15 calories, but it's full of flavor).
    Almond milk has fewer calories than mammal milk because it lacks the nutrients contained in mammal milk. Flavor is not technically a nutrient. If the OP has no issues with dairy (dietarily or morally) then there is absolutely no reason to switch to some random nut juice.

Rude! I was just offering an opinion, and, as you can see, I said that skim milk is fine if her stomach handles it well. Also, I didn't say that flavor WAS a nutrient. I'm not an idiot. Almond milk naturally has less sugars and more iron. Both of these things are important for me personally. I get all my vitamins/minerals from veggies, and the OP eats her milk with cereal and has a good diet overall, so she's probably getting enough vitamins, protein, etc., from that and the other things she eats. Both of those things are important for ME personally. More than 80% of adults in the world have some form of lactose intolerance, so I sometimes suggest people give almond milk a try is all. No need to jump on my case, yo.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    More than 80% of adults in the world have some form of lactose intolerance,
    Bullsh!t
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bullsh!t

I certainly knew that was coming. I have seen that statistic time and time again. Look it up for yourself. Of course, I don't think statistics can be trusted much, either. But I personally know a LOT of people who feel better when they take dairy out of their diet. When I personally consume dairy, I am constipated for days and then have a terrible upset stomach, in addition to horrible stabbing pains in my stomach, etc. It's not a rare problem. It's fine if you don't agree, with the stats but I do think lactose intolerance is pretty common. But please don't be so rude. Maybe your blood sugar is low. Perhaps you need a healthy snack. Maybe you should have a glass of cow's milk, if you love it so much, and then question why you are spending your time trying to shoot down other people's views and lifestyles in the Internet, when you could be doing something much better with your time, like improving your personality/people skills.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Bullsh!t

I certainly knew that was coming. I have seen that statistic time and time again. Look it up for yourself. Of course, I don't think statistics can be trusted much, either. But I personally know a LOT of people who feel better when they take dairy out of their diet. When I personally consume dairy, I am constipated for days and then have a terrible upset stomach, in addition to horrible stabbing pains in my stomach, etc. It's not a rare problem. It's fine if you don't agree, with the stats but I do think lactose intolerance is pretty common. But please don't be so rude. Maybe your blood sugar is low. Perhaps you need a healthy snack. Maybe you should have a glass of cow's milk, if you love it so much, and then question why you are spending your time trying to shoot down other people's views and lifestyles in the Internet, when you could be doing something much better with your time, like improving your personality/people skills.

The OP said she didn't have a problem with milk and you start recommending that she cut out dairy and then dredge up some bullsh!t statistic about lactose intolerance. Why project your problems on her if she has already stated that she doesn't have them. My blood sugar is fine. Maybe I've just met the MABST.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Add GREEN LEAFY veggies, kale, brocolli, spinach. The "whole grain" cereal is probably high is calories, sugar, and artificial stuff. I try to have veggies with every meal. Add some raw nuts, almonds, walnuts. More fruit. How about a little dairy like Greek Yogurt? Can you work in any fish? Wild Salmon (stay away from farm raised), Wild Tuna? How about some brown rice? Other whole grains like oatmeal, wheat bulger (make some tabbouleh), whole beans (black, pinto, etc.).

Finally, throw in a multi vitamin and a fish oil everyday.

It looks like you have a pretty good diet going, but add more natural, vitamin rich, foods, more complex carbs, and some fruit.

Keep up the good work!

- Mike
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    I have no idea why everyone is being so rude. If that diet works for you, keep at it. It looks pretty healthy! As long as you are happy
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how else to get healthy fats. I can't afford to by healthy oils or things like that. And I can't ask my Mom to buy it either.

Part of the problem is you are making up your own rules and food groups, meat is not a group on it's own and there is no minimum requirement the group is meat and fish. Most governments recommend eating a wide variety of different foods to ensure you get a balance of all the nutrients you need, not picking one food from a given group. Be aware that exercise increases your body's needs for all nutrients - including vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids - not just calories. It's not healthy to be overly restrictive, could you change up one or two foods every day?

Refined oils are not really in the spirit of clean eating try oily fish (fresh frozen or canned), avocados, block creamed coconut or unsweetened dried coconut, more nuts and seeds than at present especially ground flax/ pumpkin seeds/ walnuts/ hemp, whole olives, low sugar dark chocolate. Oily fish and certain nuts and seeds will also help bump up your mineral intake since you don't eat enough dairy products Sesame seeds are a good source of calcium and magnesium, but there are others (good sources and other minerals!)
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-012118120000000000000.html?mbid=ndblog

HTH.
  • Stella2070
    Stella2070 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's healthy/clean, but it doesn't sound like enough food. It would depend on portions...but that EVERY day is pretty impossible. You need to be flexible and find things that fit into daily life when those options aren't around. Concentrate more on getting the proper nutrition than obsessing about what is clean/healthy. You need something you can stick with long term because this isn't something you do for short period of time until you reach a goal.

We'd need to know how much you were working out and what your stats are before really giving an appropriate answer. And if you are struggling with what you SHOULD be eating I suggest consulting a nutritionalist...professionals will ALWAYS be better than MFP followers!

saying its impossible to eat the same thing everyday is a bunch of garbage.
    Its very possible if the person wants to do that. When i was living by myself for 8 years i ate the same thing everyday with a bit of changes here and there and i never got bored of it BECAUSE I LIKE ROUTINE. If your not able to do it everyday then thats fine thats just how you are, other people may be able to.

I am currently on a 5 week plan that entails basically the exact menu every single day. What's funny is that is it basically what I have eaten -and still eat even when not on a "plan" - for my entire life (the 5 weeks being different are only because I am eating smaller portions). If I get bored with it, I continue to stick to my plan and then on check day (every two weeks) I will eat out that day. I am quite happy with my choices. I eat to live, not live to eat (my favorite saying, btw, since losing weight). The control helps me to maintain. The 5 week plan came in to play from enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday and the anticipation that I will enjoy the Christmas holiday, as well.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    This is obviously a clean diet. No sugar, very little fat and no white starch. Why are you even asking? What do you want, a pat on the back?

It's kind of clean..............not obviously a clean diet.

Let's not be mistaken............Skim milk and store bought grains are not what are considered "clean"