Half Marathon

Options
I made the crazy decision of signing up for a half marathon after struggling through a 5k a few weeks ago. A few of my coworkers signed up for it and thankfully I'm not the most out of shape person doing it! I'm so nervous because I have never been a good runner. I've looked up so many couch to half things on the internet but I just need support right now! I also want to know what has worked best for you guy? Is there anything special I need to buy/do to prepare for this?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    when is the half? i'm running my first half in june and i started training about a month ago. it'll be my first half. as of today my longest race has been a 10k. since you said you struggled with a 5k hopefully the half is far enough away that you can sign up for a few 8ks or a 10k before tackling a half.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first this weekend. I just slowly increased my mileage on my long runs on weekends and ran at least two additional runs during the week of at least 30 and preferably 45 minutes. I was adding about a half mile to a mile to my long runs and sometimes easing back or keeping the same distance for a couple of weeks in a row.

I was up to 11.5 miles on my long runs when my IT band got jacked up. I was only minimally training for the past 6 weeks but was determined to run this half. I changed my goal from a time goal to just a run the whole thing goal. I was able to run the whole thing and felt awesome.

Good luck and have fun!
  • tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out Jeff Galloway, his method works well. I've done a number of 1/2s one full and training for another full in Jan using his method. This is from someone who wouldn't run unless being chased by a crazy man with a knife. It works and works well.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Good news is that you've done the hardest part: Zero-to-5K. Jumping up to 10K, 13.1 will take more training but it's well within grasp. When is the half? Check out this 12-week training plan:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Best of luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    First question.......when is the half marathon?

If you have enough time to train (I'm thinking a minimum of 18 to 24 weeks) then its feasible but you need to get out and run, consistently, 3 or 4 times a week between now and the race date. Your weekly schedule needs to include a longer, slower run (this is what builds your endurance) and, given that you "struggled" through your 5K you should approach your training fairly conservatively (ie build up your distances gradually).

Given that you're new to running and shooting for a pretty big objective you may want to consider using one of Galloway's training plans (he's a big advocate of a mixture of running and walking which is ideal for novice runners). Here's link to his 19 week half-marathon plan:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

Keep in mind that most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much, too soon, too fast. Focus on building endurance rather than worrying about speed.

Have fun!
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Bump for further reading since my first half is next March...
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    First and foremost rule: Enjoy yourself. Have fun. Lots and lots of fun. If you find new and exciting ways to enjoy your training, you'll never worry or wonder. Half marathons are great fun. The people who race them show up ready to enjoy their race and their day. If you make sure you have fun training, you'll be sure to have fun racing. I guarantee. Yes they're lots of good hard dirty sweaty work. But you know. If, as the old movie says, you find a way to whistle while you work, it'll all be good.

Next piece of advice: Good running shoes from your dedicated running store - NOT your local shoe store. And some good racing and training gear. Cotton is rotten!!!

Past that, just go have fun. :smile:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Next piece of advice: Good running shoes from your dedicated running store - NOT your local shoe store. And some good racing and training gear. Cotton is rotten!!!

This^ All those fancy technical shirts, and fabrics were just trendy fads for rich people....until I ran my first 6 miles in the heat and humidity. As soon as I cleaned up from that run I went straight to the sporting goods store.
  • kbogart1996
    kbogart1996 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Dead horse, but when is it? If you "struggled through a 5K" I hope you gave yourself enough time to train for it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Dead horse, but when is it? If you "struggled through a 5K" I hope you gave yourself enough time to train for it.

Yeah. Doing too much too fast can get you hurt to the point where you can't do it at all.
  • 7under2
    7under2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of training plans that I see people have linked to (Hal Higdon, etc). Speaking from experience, I've always trained for my full marathons and half marathons following a few simple rules to stay injury free:

1. Never increase your total mileage by more than 10% per week, or 10% per longest run.

For example, let's say you ran 3 miles on M-W-F and then a 6 mile run on Sunday for a total of 15 miles. The following week you will Increase your total mileage by only 1.5 miles. But your long run can only increase by 10% as well. So the next week's running schedule would look like this:
    Monday: 3.3
    Wednesday 3.3
    Friday 3.3
    Sunday: 6.6

You can easily create a spreadsheet that will track this.

2. Avoid "garbage miles". This is when you just go for the run to get it over with and really don't make any progress. Shake things up so the body doesn't get used to the same old routine. Make one of your weekly runs a hill routine. Hills are excellent, as they say, because they are like doing speed work in disguise. Intervals are great too. If running on the street, sprint the length of one telephone pole to the next, then run at normal speed for the next two. Repeat this for the entire run as best as you can. Track workouts are great as well because you can Yasso workouts. http://www.bartyasso.com/800s (these are cool because you can use them to actually predict your half marathon and full marathon times!)
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have no tried and true method, but in training for ny first as well! I'm using Hal Higdon's method and I like it so far. If you can do a 5k you can do it!
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Started out by saying: "I hate running. I'll never be a runner."
    Ran a mile then said: "I'll never run a 5k."
    Then quietly said to myself: "Maybe I'll run a 5k."
    Ran the 5k and said: "That was so fun, but I could never do a 10k."
    Ran the 10K then said: "I really have to stop telling myself I can't do things I actually can do."

My first half marathon is in February! I have no training plan other than getting a good mix of short runs for speed and long runs for endurance between now and then and keeping up with my lifting schedule. I can't wait to cross the finish line.

Best of luck to you on yours! :drinker:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just leave time to get properly trained.

With that said, I reject that 10% rule. I say listen to your body instead. People throw it around like it is some sort of guarantee or something. As if the knees of a 4 mile runner will explode if they take one step past 4.4 miles.

The truth is you might be able to jump for 4 to 5 miles with no problem or you could get injured at mile 2.8.

Either way, train smart and don't be a too big a hurry - good luck and have fun!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was last weekend and my first half marathon will be in March. I plan on running a 10k on Jan 1st to help me prepare. Just believe in yourself, slowly increase time and distance and you will get there!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    What I did, and what has been suggested to me several times before, is have 1 long run a week (saturday?). Add 10% to your longest run for 3 weeks straight then do a light week. Repeat the 4 week cycle again until you can do at least 11 miles without stopping.

Don't be concerned about your pace - in fact your pace should be purposely slower than your 5k pace since it is longer distance. I ran my first half last the beginning of this year and had only run just over 11 miles before doing it.

Also, when you run it you might want to consider walking through the water stations. If there is one on the left and the right go to the one on the left - it is generally much less busy as most people tend to gravitate towards the right-hand ones.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've done 2 half's this year. I started running a year ago. My 1st half was in July and my 2nd half was in November.

you have a couple of options.

1. run walk intervals. run 5 mins walk 1. You can get it done in 2hr30mins
    2. run it all and not worry about time
    3. run it all and try to do it in a certain time frame (say under 2 hr 15mins)

You will need at least 16-18 weeks to prep for it. Esp if you have never run before.

And if you can get to 16km aka 10mi then you will be able to get the full 21.1km / 13.1mi

Good luck.

Feel free to add me if you want support.

I'd also suggest looking up the mcmillian running calculator, it will give you optimal training times and a good training schedule too.
  • rlangeloz
    rlangeloz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make sure that what ever you decide to buy/try for the 1/2 marathon, you try before the actual day of the run. I use energy gels at least once at the 5 mile mark and maybe once at the 10 mile mark. If you are going to use something like that, make sure you try them during one of your shorter runs, so you can see if your stomach will be okay with it. Never try something new on the day of the run. Tech shirts/wicking are the best way to go. I had some pretty serious rub burns on my inner thighs on my first 1/2 marathon from wearing the wrong kind of shorts, so now I make sure to wear (bicycle type shorts) made for runners. Good luck. Your first 1/2 is always great when you complete it.
  • wildcelticrose
    wildcelticrose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SHOES!

Do not go to Foot Locker or Big 5 or any other sporting goods store.

Go to a real running store, owned and staffed by actual runners.

They will watch you run, analyze your gait and determine which type of shoes you need (neutral, motion control, cushion) and if you need any additional support to deal with issues such as pronation.

They will give you several models to try on and a 30 day guarantee on the pair you take home.

The wrong shoes can cause injury, the right shoes can make your training so much easier.

Here's a sample half marathon training program that a lot of folks have good luck with:

http://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/