How often to you weight in?

Options
I have always debated this.

I am thinking about weighting in every three days, what do other people do?

-Will

PS - I would love any support you can muster, I am a 44 year old middle school teacher who just like to make friends! Add me if you would like, I can always use more support!

Replies

• bkersting168
    bkersting168 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to obsess about the scale and tend to check it often. I have tried it different ways and the way that seems to work best for me is every 3 days or so, or in my case I was weighing in on Monday and Fridays. A week was too long for me to either validate progress or verify a rough week. Anything shorter than 3 days was tough because my weight flucuated too much ( i.e. I would be under calories and exercise a lot but might go up a couple of pounds.)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I have more to lose than you but am the same age and log in daily. Would be glad to help where I can....Brian
  • malston40
    malston40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was obsessed with my scale. I was checking everytime I went into the bathroom. I decided to put it away for a month and try to lose weight without the pressure. I lost 7 lbs that way. Without the scale to tell me if I did good or not I could control my day. I didn't beat myself up so no emotional eating.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have a problem, so I hop on the scale every morning before I get in the shower :tongue: But I would only weigh and log in once a week.
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am NOT obsessed with the scale - thank goodness!! I make it a habit to weigh in once a week just to keep track but honestly, if I miss a week or two I don't stress about it. :smile:
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I checked in every single morning for a while on the scale. Now I just don't care to see the minor fluctuations and I check in every few days to see how things are going.

The thing I'm really irked I didn't track when I started was my thighs. Judging by my jeans I've lost about 2 inches in my thighs and it would have been nice to track it properly.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Generally I go once a week. I've become obsessed before and three times a week quickly turned into three times a day which became everytime I walked past the scale. No good comes from that.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    MAYBE once a month. Instead of weighing weekly, I try on a pair of jeans as a way to measure WL.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning (after evacuating). I prefer to know each day how much I weigh. However, I understand as I lose weight, the numbers will bounce back and forth as they trend downwards. For example, I know that if yesterday's food choices contained a lot of sodium (sushi, soup, ravioli, etc), my weight will be slightly higher. Therefore, the temporary weight gain reminds me to up my water intake to help "flush out" the sodium.

My best answer would be to tell you that the frequency of your weigh in (no more than 1x per day and try to weigh yourself around the same time and same condition as your weight can increase during the day. Also, dont weigh yourself after exercising as your weight loss is due to water loss) should be in line with your goals.

First starting out? Weigh daily so you can see how your nutrition choices affect your weight.
    Trying to add muscle? Weigh weekly or monthly or perhaps not at all (take measurements instead).

Once you get a handle on portion sizes and control of your nutrition, it doesn't matter how frequently you weigh yourself. This is strictly a personal choice. If you dont feel like weighing yourself daily but prefer 2x week, then do so. If you no longer care about the number on the scale but only how you look in the mirror, then weigh yourself monthly or not at all.
  • jimmy713
    jimmy713 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weigh in once a week starting today sense it's my first day back in the gym.I think once a week is good enough though.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    everybody come join us in the Friday's weigh in Group. Look under community then groups. We are always looking for more friends to join. See you Friday.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a little obsessive and weigh every day. It works okay for me though, because I do not freak out about the normal fluctuations that happen. My hubby weighs every day and freaks out when it is more, so it does not work well for him. I think you just have to do what you are more comfortable with.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I weight in every morning between 5-7 am. Being doing that most of this year. 238 to 213.4 as of today.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but you need to get a thick skin and learn to roll with the punches to do so. There's up days and down, and if you let daily fluctuations mindfcuk you, daily weighing is not a good idea.

Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so keep that in mind.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Once a week. You can fluctuate too much from one day to the next which can lead to a mental block wrecking your self motivation
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale. I weigh in when I go to the dr. or make it to the work shop and stand on the loading dock.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You might want to try tracking your sodium.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Daily.

And ignore the volatile 1-5 pound swings each day.

But whatever you do, don't put a lot of weight on the number. Ultimately, it's just one metric (and not a very useful one at that).
  • 88Genesee
    88Genesee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a week, at the same time in the morning.

Since I work a standard Monday through Friday, 9 to % schedule; I chose Tuesday and Friday mornings at 7:00 am. Tuesday weigh in allows me to mitigate anything that took place over the weekend, on Monday. Friday weigh in allows me to mentally prepare for the weekend.

I want to do once a week but twice a week keeps me accountable.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I weight myself pre-BM and post-BM every time. I just like to know is all.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Daily.

And ignore the volatile 1-5 pound swings each day.

But whatever you do, don't put a lot of weight on the number. Ultimately, it's just one metric (and not a very useful one at that).

Weight a minute...