Pain in Shins

MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok I really like to run. I love the feeling after. But, it is killing my shins. I'm still pretty heavy (266) and I know that it has to do with my weight and the stress I'm putting on the bone and muscle.

Usually I wont run but maybe once or twice a week. I have to go back to cycling or Elliptical or some other exercise. My shins just cant take more then 2 days a week with 3 days or more in between.

Should I wait till I have a bit more weight off or are my bones and muscles just in need of conditioning and I need to step it up?

I get to the Gym 5-6 days a week usually some combination of Elliptical trainer and cycling for 45 min to hour. I try to do non stop mile runs on the treadmill as that don't bother my shins as bad. I was jogging around the track and then doing half lap sprints every 3rd lap but the strain on my shins was just to much.

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Possible shin splints- is it more of a burning feeling? If so...shin splints.
    Hoping Banks will chime in on this...not sure what else it could be.

Also, LOVE your quote! I'm having that tattooed on my back. :bigsmile: I already have it on my checks and my e-mail signature.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    I would speak to your Dr. to rule out shin splints . . . but in my experience I had that exact same feeling for the first 3 weeks after doing daily physical activity. Don't step it up but instead do a brisk 30 minute walk each day as that will tone your shins enough that they will get used to it. After about 3 weeks I didn't have any of that discomfort any longer and was able to really step up my program and start jogging.
    Good luck!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Sounds like shin splints. Runner's World.com has some great health tips on those. I don't suffer, but I know people who do -- and they swear by stretching (check Runner's World website for specific stretches) and backing off a bit on distance/effort.

Also -- are your shoes in good shape? This could help alleviate some of your discomfort.

Good luck!!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Have you tried alternating speed walking into your run routine? This allows your body to recover while still building the strength it needs over the long haul. Also, how long have you been running? Mild discomfort for a while is normal as your body adjusts. I second the motion on double checking your shoes: 220lbs+ for men is the ear-mark that specialty supportive shoes are a must.

Consider RICE for your shins after you run as well. This will greatly reduce swelling which will allow the healing process to happen a lot faster. I have always iced ten, elevated ten, iced ten, elevated ten, and then compressed for the next few hours (a good pair of trousers will hide an ACE bandage nicely). Also, up your water consumption.

good luck, and run on!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    My guess is that you're running in rundown or improper sneakers. Then when you go to the gym and jump on a machine, you're not helping it. Stretch, stretch, stretch and go to a running store and get fitted for new sneakers by someone who knows what they're doing!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Check your shoes and make sure they are right for you. Go to your local running store and have them check them out for you. Good shoes are a big part of running. Also stretch your calves and hamstrings. That will help. Lastly, ice your pain and take a little break. Don't push it. It will only make it worse and it will take longer to recover. There is a running thread we post on so feel free to join us. Lots of runners post and also have some great advice.
  • baxyboy
    baxyboy Posts: 70 Member
    I agree - sounds like shin splints to me too.

Last weekend/early this week I changed up my treadmill routine from doing walk-run-walk-run-walk intervals to a constant jog/run, but after a few days of doing it each day I was starting to get pain from shin splints, so I have taken a day off running altogether to let my legs recover a little, I have football (soccer) tonight after work and then from now on I'm planning to do interval running during the week and the harder, constant pace sessions on Saturdays and Sundays.

Hopefully after a while as my fitness improves and weight comes down I'll be able to do it a little more often.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    I danced for 10 years - we would have this pain happen now and then, specifically if we went on a lazy kick and didn't stretch enough. Sounds like combo platter Shin Splints/Shoes.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Shin splints are very common in runners and I read the other day to prevent them or to lessen them, to take quicker, smaller steps instead of long, slow strides. It takes the pressure off your shins. Hope that helps :)
  • MassiveDelta
    Shoes are Asics Cumulus 9's I got them prior to starting up full time they had roughly 10 - 15 miles on them 10 Weeks ago when I started. No idea what they have on them now. I wear them only for working out and running. Its not like im running marathons in them. I know I should replace them as the constant compression and decompression wears out the shoe. but I dont think Ive got enough time on them yet to replace them.

When I do my runs I usually do 3-5 minute brisk walk before kicking i up to a run. The speed walking sounds like a good plan. Is the pain cased by weak shin muscles or the bone? Is there any weight training I can do for shin muscles?
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    I agree with all the other posters...shin splints and bad shoes.

I have been suffering with shin splint and leg muscle pain forever. It all started by running and pushing too hard, too much. If this problem persists it can lead to stress fractures. My problem led to irritation in the muscle that runs along the leg and connects to the arch of the foot. I am still rehabing it today. It was also a cause of no arch and not rolling from my heal to toe when I ran. So I have to wear shoes geared towards stability.

I am no doctor, but from past experience. Take it easy, possibly see a physical therapist, and get some good shoes.

Good Luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    You think 10 weeks on those shoes and they need replaced?

Go Iowa!
  • I suffer from shin splints. It is extremely painful and it takes a while to heal. If you keep running, it is not going to get better or improve. You must modify your workout to give your shins a chance to heal. You should visit a podiatrist to check out your feet. You may suffer for pronated feet, which in layman's terms means flat feet or maybe you have an excessive arch. This problem can only be corrected with orthotics inserts for your shoes and you still may have problems with exercises that have excessive pounding running, jump rope, ski jumps, etc. I follow the R.I.C.E.R. plan.

1) Rest (I just modified my workouts)
    2) Ice (20mins immediately following my workout) DO NOT USE HEAT AFTER YOUR WORKOUT
    3) Compression (wrap your shins)
    4) Elevate your feet above your hear while you are icing.

Here are some ideas to help you before your workout.
    1) Use heat to loosen the area
    2) wrapping of the arches and ankles help a lot especially if you continue to run.(there are plenty of websites on google)
    3) Stretching of course

There are some exercises you can do to strengthen your muscles around the Tibia, but if the problem is due to pronation of the feet orthotics are the only thing that will help.

I hope this info helps.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member

Go Iowa!

Did you get your sneakers fitted at a running store? Or did you just go buy a pair of sneakers? I only wear my running shoes running, as they are more expensive and I need far more support when running than I do on the StairMaster or ArcTrainer.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I weigh 206 and started walk-run intervals three weeks ago. After two weeks doing it three times a day for 20 minues each my shins hurt so bad all the time I stopped the interval training. I just ran-walk for 10 minutes yesterday and feel pretty good today, but will wait till Friday to try it again.
    I guess its about slow conditioning. I had just assumed that I am still packing too much weight (I know my shoes are good) and just need to keep at it but at a lesser pace for now until I get used to it.

I want to try the Iron Girl 5k race in Seattle in September and so I need to get started, but figure if I do these 10 minute intervals for the next month or so I can start the couch to 5k program in late May or June to get going.
  • scweegie
    scweegie Posts: 59
    if your shoes don't fit your feet properly, and work with your gait and pronation, it wont matter how old they are. As mentioned many times a good shoe fitting is a good place to start.

Who knows though, maybe you are wearing the correct shoes, but are doing too much at once.

and yes Go Hawks!!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member

Depending on how much you work out in your shoes that may not be an unreasonable amount of time. I generally change my running shoes every 10-12 weeks. 4 Pairs a year. Its a darn expensive hobby.
  • GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    I used to be an assistant athletic trainer in high school & worked with kids that had shin splints. We would take one of those giant Gatorade buckets (so it covers the entire shin), fill it with ice & water then shove their legs in for about 20 minutes (no need to do it longer - you just want it numb) before their workout so it wouldn't hurt as much. Yes, the initial 5 minutes was a shock but it worked! Then I'd tape their ankles so that it would support their foot a little more. Maybe getting some inserts for your shoes world work or you're not wearing the right type of shoe for the shape of your foot. It sounds like you need more support there.

Hope this helps!
  • MassiveDelta
    I didnt have them professionally fitted but i did buy a shoe based on research for what I needed wide base for stability and extra weight and I do pronate just a little.
This discussion has been closed.