Natural Anti-Depressants?

Options
Does anyone know of any good natural vitamins and/or supplements that are helpful for depression?

I think my depression may be seasonal. Even though it isn’t terrible, it’s really bugging me.

There has got to be something people take that is natural to help with the gloom.

I'd really appreciate any info on vitamins/supplements that anyone may have.

Thanks!!

Replies

• orangelobster
    Options
    Vitamin B12
    St John's wort
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    B complex
    Inositol
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    there is a light you can get that helps with Seasonal affective disorder aka S.A.D. Ive worked for a psychiatrist for 6 years and have some patients that swear by it. http://northernlighttechnologies.com/
  • kiwifrootkai
    kiwifrootkai Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B Complex will give you a natural lift.
    St Johns Wort, as long as you aren' on any antidepressants, and it can also interfere with the contraceptive pill.
  • towardthesunshine
    Options
    Hey! I've suffered with it too for about 4 years now, starting from October right around until April-May.

I did a report on the effects of Vitamin D for treating depression, and from personal experience -- IT WORKS. ITS CHEAP.

Vitamin D is also known as "the sunshine vitamin" because your body makes it naturally through sunlight. In the summer it's great -- you get lots of sun exposure and you're happier! Then in the winter we hide inside, so less sunlight = less vitamin D.

Try a supplement. No, it doesn't make EVERYTHING better, but it 100% helps in the amount of days you feel like staying under a blanket all day.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    All of the above!

Also, caffeine is a natural mood enhancer. In small doses it can help you get through really rough patches (like Monday afternoons).
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and EXERCISE!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've never had luck with the supplements listed above.

Working out helps. Doesn't get rid of it, but it helps me get through the rough spots.
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise. Get enough quality sleep, and eat a balanced diet, spend time outdoors when you can.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I will check them out, including the light bulb :)
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Omega-3s
    Exercise

I second light therapy.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and EXERCISE!
    Second the EXERCISE!!
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B
    Vitamin D
    Fish Oil
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I tried St. John's, mutiple A,B,D, and E vitamins...No dice. :(

Then I started like...I dunno... baking finely ground, premium grade, marijuana into protein cookies. :D
  • tarag8100
    tarag8100 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post! I'm coming off of my anti-depressants in an effort to decrease medications (to save money, be healthier,, etc) and I believe I can make a go of living all on my own. I'm worried about rough times though. I've been on an anti-depressant for 11 years... I'll have to try some of these suggestions!!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    there is a light you can get that helps with Seasonal affective disorder aka S.A.D. Ive worked for a psychiatrist for 6 years and have some patients that swear by it. http://northernlighttechnologies.com/

This ^^^^^ Definitely worth a try. Brookstone has them.

http://www.brookstone.com/portable-mood-light?bkiid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|830061p

Edit by Ani to add: I have Full Spectrum Light Bulbs in the lamps I use to read as well as kitchen and dining ceiling fixtures. It makes a difference for me.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel that it is seasonal, your best bet is light. You can do some Googling on light therapy for SAD and find that there are kits you can buy for home use treatment. Around here, some of the gyms even have light therapy rooms that you can use with membership. I know a couple of people who swear that going to a tanning bed for *short* periods a couple times a week worked miracles for their SAD. The B vitamins others suggested are a good idea too. That said, if you don't feel like you're getting any relief, or if there is any slight change for the worse in your symptoms, please, please talk to your doctor. Depression is a beast and can quickly spiral out of control. Take care of yourself (((hug)))
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Definitely Vitamin D, and natural sunlight when you can get it.
    For more details this book is worth a read... you might find a copy in your local library?

Dr. Marie-Annette Brown Ph.D., R.N, Jo Robinson, "When Your Body Gets The Blues".

It offers a clinically proven solution through research conducted at University of Washington.
    A simple, drug-free treatment called the LEVITY program (Light, Exercise, and Vitamin Intervention TherapY)
    that can help women think clearly, sleep soundly, cope better with stress, reduce anxiety and depression,
    and lose unwanted pounds.
  • mlh156
    mlh156 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    On my wife's advice (against my own protestations), I went to see a Naturopath about my own "gloom".

She recommended "Remotiv" (active ingredient = St. John's Wort), Zinc and Vitamin B (particularly B6). She also sent me a test for Pyroluria - a fairly common (apparently) condition in which your body blocks the absorption of Zinc & B6, leading to bleak moods, anxiety etc. I never got around to doing the test, but I'm taking the supplements, in addition to Remotiv and Fish Oil, and have to admit I'm feeling much more positive about life right now.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post! I'm coming off of my anti-depressants in an effort to decrease medications (to save money, be healthier,, etc) and I believe I can make a go of living all on my own. I'm worried about rough times though. I've been on an anti-depressant for 11 years... I'll have to try some of these suggestions!!

I'm glad I did too then I've been on meds for many years too but can't take the side effects anymore.
    Since I do eat properly most of the time, get my sleep and exercise regularly I am OK most of the time but it is still hard.

Now I remember that when I was little (about 9yrs old) my doctor recommended B-Complex to my parents for me and my mood and depression issues.