Calling all Coconut oil lovers

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    The evidence that coconut oil is super-healthful is not convincing and these claims appear to be more testimonials than clinical evidence.

There is very limited evidence on disease outcomes, says Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, DrPH, of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health. "All that has been studied well is the impact of coconut oil on cholesterol levels and the findings are intriguing but we still don't know if it is harmful or beneficial," Mozaffarian says.

Neither the American Heart Association (AHA) nor the U.S. government's 2010 Dietary Guidelines suggest that coconut oil is any better or preferable over other saturated fats. Coconut oil, like all saturated fats, should be limited to 7%-10% of calories because it can increase risk for heart disease, according to the AHA and 2010 Dietary Guidelines.

"But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats).

(See WEB MD @ http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health)

It's hard for govt to change their stance now if they don't want to completely embarrass themselves. The problem so far is actually proving that: 1) there actually is a safe lower level of saturated fat deemed acceptable. 2) The premise that LDL cholesterol is the cause of heart disease. Pretty easy stuff really considering they've thrown billions of dollars towards these goals over the last 40 years and come up with zilch, nada....only weak correlation. Get this, they lowered the recommended intake of saturated fat to 7% of total calories, without a real reason and this is after a full blown study trying to find that safe lower level that I mentioned above, and the conclusion of that multi-million dollar study was they couldn't find a safe lower level. What that means is they could really find anything wrong with the consumption of saturated fat.....perfect example of govt bureaucracy
    Indigenous peoples of tropical latitudes have been consuming coconut oil for tens of thousands of years without any problems, well until modern western diet intervention. The Kitavans of Papua New Guinea are a perfect example of keeping it simple.....I just can't imagine going there and telling them they should switch to corn or soy oil (subsidized crops in the USA) and keep a straight face, seriously.

Take a look.
    http://healwithfood.org/diet/kitavan-diet-foods.php
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Where do you all use the coconut oil? Is it in pill form as a supplement, or is it something you use for cooking? What brands do you use? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd like to find out more about this.

I use coconut oil for so many things..............

I cook and bake with Coconut oil.

It is my preferred facial cleanser and moisturizer.

I use coconut oil as a base for soaps, shampoo, tooth paste and deodorant. I also use coconut oil as hair / scalp moisturizer and for shaving.

Coconut oil is anti-bacterial, good to gargle when you have a sore throat, amonst many other things. I have gotten several people that suffer with acne, psoriasis and eczema to use coconut oil as a skin moisturizer and their skin has cleared up beautifully.

My favorite brands are Nutiva and Tropical Traditions.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this.

I started taking one teaspoon of coconut oil a few days ago and have noticed a drop in my appetite.

I'm really hoping the claims are true that it can have an effect on my metabolism and underactive thyroid.....because so far the standard medical approach of treat the symptoms rather than fix what's gone wrong in the first place hasn't worked for me.

I know from my personal experience that Coconut oil has helped tremendously with my underactive Thyroid. It wasn't an overnight healing......but after 3 years of consistent use of Raw coconut oil and other coconut products I have went from using 2 grains of Armour Thyroid down to 1/2 grain of Armour Thyroid (that is half of one pill).
  • alanrosez
    Options
    Bump
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Is there a big difference nutrient wise between virgin coconut oil and organic refined oil?
  • IslandRider
    Options
    Nutritionalist started my daughter on straight up 3TBS a day to correct thyroid and insulin resistance so I began researching it. Found out a ton of information. The book "Coconut Cure" is very helpful. A tsp in tea or coffee 20 minutes before meals aids in weight loss by decreasing cravings, correcting metabolism. I've personally experienced the decrease in cravings. It does so much more and I have some info on my profile.

I've been using it for cooking and topically. This is great new info, thanks for posting!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I adore coconut oil! I basically use it wherever I would normally use oil (I use it for stir frys, baking, etc). I also add a tablespoon to my coffee in the morning.

Is this sweet so that it would replace sugar?
  • Missyann68
    Missyann68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work with a Psychiatrist that swears by Coconut Oil and Coconut Water. I had kidney stones and she told me to drink Coconut Water. I did and haven't had another battle with Kidney stones...yet!! I try to drink it as often as I can and also cook with Coconut Oil.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I adore coconut oil! I basically use it wherever I would normally use oil (I use it for stir frys, baking, etc). I also add a tablespoon to my coffee in the morning.

Is this sweet so that it would replace sugar?

It has a sweetnest to it, but definitely not quite like sugar.
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    I LOVE coconut oil, just by adding it into my diet I've lost a ton of body fat!
    Most of my friends still buy into the whole Low fat diet crap and dont believe me that eating more fat leads to fat loss, but thats their problem not mine!

I mix mine with cocoa powder and pea protein to make a pre and post workout "porridge" kind of dish, or if I'm in a hurry just straight from the pot!

Use it on my hair and skin too, although my skin and hair improved so much even when I didnt use it topically!
  • Dragomir1811
    Dragomir1811 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ive never tried it but im pretty curious now so im gunna have to get some quick ill let you know what i think
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used extra virgin coconut oil in my hair. It gets so shiny and soft :)

I have yet to try it in cooking though.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great topic and dialogue.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a guy who is a trainer, but I don't know him as one. He's working my diet over, and is recommending a tbsp or two of coconut oil as a snack during the day. I went to his desk and took a sniff. Smells like a treat. He swears by it and says it's a superfood. So...I'm going to be having a little bit every day starting next week (leaving for a vacation on Wednesday, and I DON'T CARE WHAT I EAT OR DO -- I'm getting back on the skinny horse next Monday).
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    Since I started keto I've started to love coconut oil. Mainly in my coffee. Nice dose of good fats in the morning for energy not to mention the digestive benefits!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I saute my chicken in it. It's great for stir fry. It's great for any dish that requires high heat because it won't turn rancid at high heat like other cooking oils. It's fantastic on the skin as well. So many health benefits.
    I see people say all the time that coconut oil has such a high smoke point, but it isn't true. Refined coconut oil has a relatively high smoke point, but virgin coconut oil actually has a very low smoke point (under 350 degrees, lower than extra virgin olive oil.)

Not a bad ingredient to use, but I certainly wouldn't try with it.

Very good info about the smoke point. I sautee with coconut oil as much as possible and I have to consciously remember to keep the temperature lower than I normally would. The great thing is though, even when burnt, the oil still tastes pretty good.

Another note, coconut oil stays good indefinitely, unlike most oils which have an expiration date.
    The problem is, when oil is heated beyond the smoke point, it oxidizes, which converts some of the fatty acids into trans fats. It's really not a matter of taste, but a matter of health. Frying with coconut oil basically kills off all the (possible) health benefits, and adds unhealthy trans fats instead.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the shiznet!! I cook with it, add it to everything, use it in my hair and on my bod. Excellent all around healthy item.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I saute my chicken in it. It's great for stir fry. It's great for any dish that requires high heat because it won't turn rancid at high heat like other cooking oils. It's fantastic on the skin as well. So many health benefits.
    I see people say all the time that coconut oil has such a high smoke point, but it isn't true. Refined coconut oil has a relatively high smoke point, but virgin coconut oil actually has a very low smoke point (under 350 degrees, lower than extra virgin olive oil.)

Not a bad ingredient to use, but I certainly wouldn't try with it.

Very good info about the smoke point. I sautee with coconut oil as much as possible and I have to consciously remember to keep the temperature lower than I normally would. The great thing is though, even when burnt, the oil still tastes pretty good.

Another note, coconut oil stays good indefinitely, unlike most oils which have an expiration date.
    The problem is, when oil is heated beyond the smoke point, it oxidizes, which converts some of the fatty acids into trans fats. It's really not a matter of taste, but a matter of health. Frying with coconut oil basically kills off all the (possible) health benefits, and adds unhealthy trans fats instead.
    Trans fats can only be manufactured from a mono or poly fat because of the available cis configuration, which is then converted to a trans configuration. Even then, I'm not aware it can be done by heating a poly oil, at least I've never been able to find that research.
  • ashlet01
    Options
    I buy Organic, Cold Pressed, Extra Virgin Coconut oil. I use it cooking- mostly roasting veggies. Makes a great lip ointment or hair treatment.