Oatmeal yuck

Options
124»

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ingornance....what's wrong with instant?

A minute in the microwave and done!

It sucks. That's what.

Ok, that's your opinion and your choice.

But is there a dietary difference? As long as it's not one of those flavored processed pockets, I'm not aware of any difference.

as long as the "flavored processed pocket" fits in someones day then its better than lucky charms and kool-aid every morning!

Agreed. But still doesn't answer the question.

Is there a dietary/nutritional difference between steel cut/rolled/instant?

My point was that the flavored packet would include, salt, flavoring, and possibly sweetners. Not the same as plain old oats.

There is a small nutritional difference, but the main difference is because the instant oats are precooked and dried again, they cook faster. But your body doesn't have to work as hard to break it down, giving it more of a glycemic load than old fashioned or steel cut. Not hugely significant, but still a difference.

For ME, it definitely makes a difference for my ... tummy. :blushing: I used to eat instant oatmeal all the time, but only when I switched to old fashioned did my tummy troubles disappear.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it's trial and error to find your personal "sweet spot" with oatmeal. Or maybe you just really don't like it - not everyone does.

I do not like oatmeal hot. At all. I can never get the texture right.

So I do overnight refrigerator oats with vanilla almond milk and eat it cold. Completely different experience, and I love it.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love oatmeal just don't like it thick -- so I make mine drinkable and it's so delicious people who hates the texture really enjoy it when it's prepared this way;

Add cloves nutmeg and cinnamon to boiling water let boil for a 2-3 minutes to bring the flavors together
    Then add your oatmeal -- stirring continuously as it thickens
    Add Carnation Evaporated milk I add 2-4 tbsp storing for another 2-3 minutes
    Immediately remove from the stove pour into cup let it sit for a minute
    Add Almond Breeze -( Vanilla for taste) stir well ... Enjoy a nice warm cup of oatmeal !
    Sometimes I add a bit of honey if I feel the need for it to be a but sweeter after adding the Almond milk -Used especially in the Winter to boost immune system and also for the antioxidant properties

Try it you'll absolutely love it -- (adjust my recipe to suit you)
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If you are used to the instant oats, it will take a while to get used to the longer cooking oats. You'll have to play around with it until you find a recipe you like too.

this---i love old fashioned oats now. Make them in the microwave
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Skip oatmeal, eat peanut butter.
    Dont skip the oatmeal. Add the peanut butter to your oatmeal. Yummy!