Thyroid Diet Success? Very confused/appreciate help!

Options
Hi everyone,
First time poster here-just wanted to see if there was any feedback I could get from people who have been in my situation and came out on the other side.

-I'm 23 and up until about a year and a half ago was at a great weight for me. I gained 10 pounds after college (admittedly, I was just hanging out and eating alot) but since then I've put on another 10. For my height (5'2) that is so much! I feel so very uncomfortable in my body right now...and I'm really desperate/willing to do whatever it takes to get it off and KEEP it off.
-I believe I may have messed with my metabolism due to unhealthy weight loss methods in college (eating very little for prolonged periods of time, smoking etc.) and my thyroid recently tested on the low side but not hypothyroid. Also had low vitamin D and B vitamins (I've had Lyme disease for about 5 years now as well so that may be a contributor.)

Has anyone tried the Jillian Michaels diet from Master your Metabolism and had success? Or any other thyroid-sensitive diet?

Honestly, I'm at my wits end: I eat healthily, low carb for the most part and REALLY carefully monitor my calories yet nothing has changed in months. I've only recently started exercising again, but I've been walking 30-45 minutes a day combined with light strength training. A friend of mine with similar issues recently started doing vinyasa yoga as her main exercise and within a month and a half lost 15 pounds! Has anyone had success with yoga as a big component in your weight loss?

Sorry for the length of this post but I really want to change and like I said, will do anything to get there. I do understand that consistency is key, so that's where the additional advice would really come in handy. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    my thyroid recently tested on the low side but not hypothyroid.

Can you define "on the low side"? What labs did they run - just TSH? Did they test free T3 and free T4?

TSH is what is often used to diagnose thyroid issues, but there are a number of problems with this method: it's not a thyroid hormone (it's from your pituitary), many/most doctors use outdated ranges, even the accepted range is constantly under debate, etc etc.

I would say that if they only tested TSH and it was anywhere over about 2.0, then I'd go back and ask for a free (not total) T3 and free T4 test. You want those optimally in the top 1/3 of the range your lab uses, and not just "fine", "normal", or "within normal range".

Also had low vitamin D and B vitamins (I've had Lyme disease for about 5 years now as well so that may be a contributor.)

A number of vitamins and minerals are involved in the thyroid hormone conversion process (which converts the inactive thyroid hormone into the active one that tells all your cells to "do") - and those include Vit D and B12.

Have you had your iron or ferritin levels tested as well?

Has anyone tried the Jillian Michaels diet from Master your Metabolism and had success? Or any other thyroid-sensitive diet?

There's significant evidence, some of it anecdotal, to suggest that gluten-free diets are helpful for people with hypothyroid issues. Usually for people with autoimmune thyroid (I'd actually also suggest that you get tested for Hashi's antibodies, which would suggest an autoimmune issue, which could be triggered by something like Lyme).

Generally people with hypothyroid should stay away from goitrogenic foods, which can block thyroid function - if you do a google search you can find a list. Things like raw broccoli, soy, and many others are on there.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have a thyroid disorder and i gained weight very easily. I had a very hard time losing weight in the beginning until my dose was upped properly. I am also 5.2 ft. i needed to lose 20-22 lbs. i never had a issue with my weight ever in life and this was the first and was hard to figure out what the right thing was to do for me with my thyroid issue. I don't eat soy as i hear that is so bad for you when you have a thyroid issue. I started exercising too but the main thing for me was calorie counting and measuring/ weighing all my portions. I have been on my journey for 14 months and hit my goal not that long ago. it was a long and slow process but i finally did it. I hit a 22 lbs loss this month. I am back to the old me :) I did Jm 30ds and rin30 and that helped with the inches, no weight loss doing it. i also alternated the elliptical or treadmill when i wasn't doing the dvd's... right now i am doing slim in 6. I also have a low vit d and b12 and i get a shot for b12 every 3 weeks. that helps my energy level a lot... please don't compare yourself to others if they don't have a thyroid issue as they will never understand why it's so much harder for us that do. You will never get the same weight loss as fast when you have this disorder, it's just a fact! it frustraited me all the time, some people my height hit their goals in 3months and there i was at a year almost at mine... I just knew i needed to stick to it for how ever long it took, i knew i woudl get there eventually. I am glad i did :)
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroid,fybromyalga,Chiari malformation,B12 defeciency(have to take shots)Poly Glandular Auto ammune Disease and i stuck to the Calories on MFP and lost 72 lbs in 250 days.I walk on a treadmill 6 days a week.Track your sugar and try to stay under 25 g(total)I gave up fast food and fried food but, not beer & wine:)Watch your sodium intact also.You will lose if your doing it all right:):drinker:
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroid,fybromyalga,Chiari malformation,B12 defeciency(have to take shots)Poly Glandular Auto ammune Disease and i stuck to the Calories on MFP and lost 72 lbs in 250 days.I walk on a treadmill 6 days a week.Track your sugar and try to stay under 25 g(total)I gave up fast food and fried food but, not beer & wine:)Watch your sodium intact also.You will lose if your doing it all right:):drinker:
    My Thyroid is Really low-i take 188 Synthroid-i gained 38 lbs in 1 year before i knew what was wrong with me:(
  • ont1822
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for the replies! Very encouraging community we have here it seems, which is awesome-I'll definitely be checking in more regularly now :)

IslandMonkey you brought up some very good points that I didn't know about. I believe they did the test with just the TSH...so it seems that doing some more probing into exact levels would be a smart decision. You mentioned that Hasimoto's syndrome being triggered by Lyme-I've heard about it but never realized a connection with autoimmune diseases being triggered by Lyme. it does make alot of sense though, since I know that's a common occurence for people who've had Lyme for a long time (like me.) I tried gluten free for a while but I ended up gaining :/ which made me stop doing it. might have to give that another go.

Lin7604 and Ilovejacks-good to know that in the scenario I do have a thyroid condition that needs treatment, it won't be a death sentence towards reaching my goal. Lin, you're so right-I really haven't given myself enough time yet to see the results so I do think the biggest thing will be just keeping at it and not expecting too much at once!

Ilovejacks, I have heard that some people have really adverse reactions with synthroid-did you experience any drawbacks?
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    New convert to Armour thyroid after 10 years on Synthroid- I feel more in control of my weight, appetite, and life... I was on 137mg a day, and could lose weight SLLLLLOOOOOWWWLLLY if I worked hard. It can be done! These boards are a great place for information. I agree with a previous poster- check T3 and T4. For me, getting the T3 has been the key. Good luck!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yes as hard as it is, you have to give yourself more time to get to where you want to be... I almost quit a few times but got right back on.. i am so happy i did. I am very proud of myself for how i look now even thought it was baby steps and took just over a year. I can't imagine what i woudl be like right now if i did give up.... i am so happy with myself and so much more confident and proud. :)
  • christi921
    Options
    I was told for years that I had a low thyroid, but not low enough to be diagnosed. After years of this I ended up getting very sick and barely able to function. I ended up in the ER, with a great doctor who FINALLY listened to me and diagnosed me even though the labs were "normal." The labs are only a range, everyone is different, so please keep on top of your thyroid if you are having symptoms. In the end I ended up having Hashimotos. They started me on Synthroid, which basically made me feel like crap. It was a long road to get back to feeling normal, but I have now found a doctor who, like klindema said, has put me on Armour, which has made a world of difference. Weight loss is always a battle for me. I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life. But I keep trying. My doctor recommends a high protein/low carb diet and that is what makes me feel my best (when I can stick to that :)!
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    my thyroid recently tested on the low side but not hypothyroid.

Can you define "on the low side"? What labs did they run - just TSH? Did they test free T3 and free T4?

TSH is what is often used to diagnose thyroid issues, but there are a number of problems with this method: it's not a thyroid hormone (it's from your pituitary), many/most doctors use outdated ranges, even the accepted range is constantly under debate, etc etc.

I would say that if they only tested TSH and it was anywhere over about 2.0, then I'd go back and ask for a free (not total) T3 and free T4 test. You want those optimally in the top 1/3 of the range your lab uses, and not just "fine", "normal", or "within normal range".

Also had low vitamin D and B vitamins (I've had Lyme disease for about 5 years now as well so that may be a contributor.)

A number of vitamins and minerals are involved in the thyroid hormone conversion process (which converts the inactive thyroid hormone into the active one that tells all your cells to "do") - and those include Vit D and B12.

Have you had your iron or ferritin levels tested as well?

There's significant evidence, some of it anecdotal, to suggest that gluten-free diets are helpful for people with hypothyroid issues. Usually for people with autoimmune thyroid (I'd actually also suggest that you get tested for Hashi's antibodies, which would suggest an autoimmune issue, which could be triggered by something like Lyme).

Generally people with hypothyroid should stay away from goitrogenic foods, which can block thyroid function - if you do a google search you can find a list. Things like raw broccoli, soy, and many others are on there.

Excellent advice right here. Especially about the proper testing. Since being diagnosed with hypothyroid I've gone lower carb and that seems to hepl me. Basically I've cleaned junk out of my diet. No sugar and such. Te type of mess you take can make a difference too. Www.stoptherhyroidmadness.com has a lot of great info.
  • rachaelworkman78
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidsm for 23 years now. It is difficult to lose weight but possible. Watch your diet and exercise (cardio and strength training) and you will lose it. Good luck.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid. I have lost 25 pounds since the discovery of this fact. I limit my calories to 2060 per myfitnesspal.com instructions. I am on levothyroxine (I must take daily). Also, I go to the gym between 4-5 times a week. I have gone from 238 lbs to 213 lbs. I was a size 38 in waist to size 36.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definatley have them do a free t3 and free t4- and antibody screen.
    My TSH was always within the correct "range" and was always told my by my PCP that my thyroid was fine.... until....... I went to an endo and she tested everything!! come to find out I have Hashimoto's - autoimmune disorder (antibodies off the charts high) with a normal tsh....
    I am only on 60mg of Armour and with a Gluten free clean diet and regular exercise I Feel FANTASTIC..... I also take selenium and kelp.... weight loss is slow and hard but it does come off...
    good luck
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can do this!

Don't forget to avoid calcium and iron for four hours BEFORE your pill and AFTER. If you're on birth control, take it on a different time table. BC pills can interfere with absorption!

You might try avoiding raw goitrogenic foods like broccoli, cauliflower, etc. (Just google "goitrogens" to find a more thorough list of thyroid-unfriendly foods). Also make sure to get plenty of selenium (shrimp has a lot--sushi is a great thyroid booster) and iodine. Avocado is a great thyroid food, too. Soy is not so good. :(

Either way, it is totally possible to lose weight with a thyroid condition. Don't let it get in the way of your trying. Even if it may end up being slower, it's actually very DIFFICULT to eat your normal TDEE in calories and gain weight, even with severe issues. Just cut your calories and get some activity in and as long as you're honest with yourself in your logs, you'll see improvement :)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid since 2006. I gained 50 pounds in 6 months and that's what sent me to the doc. I was tired all the time and felt terrible. I'm on 125 mcg of Levothyroxine and still managed to gain another 50 over the next few years on the meds.

It is possible to lose weight but it's hard. You will have to work twice as hard as "normal" people to get the same results. Exercise is very important. Both cardio and weight training. It makes you feel better and helps fight depression, which is common with hypo patients. If MFP give you a calorie goal and it's high, lower it, but don't go lower then 1200. Watch your sodium intake to reduce water retention and watch your carbs too, especially in the evenings. Eat as cleanly as you can, watching your processed and boxed foods as they are high in sodium.

It can be done. I am doing it. It's hard work, a full time job in itself, but possible and you can do it too.

There is also a discussion group for Hypothyroidism. Check that out, too because there is some great info there.
  • ont1822
    Options
    Really appreciate all the feedback-looks like I'm definietly going to investigate my possible thyroid problem with more in depth testing. I'll hopefully have good news of reaching my goal in a few months. Thanks all and feel free to add me if you'd like!