Is it bad that I weigh myself everyday?

Options

Replies

• otkbrat
    Options
    I don't have a scale at home so I weigh myself whenever I go to Curves probably twice a week or so. I think its okay to weigh yourself everyday if you can deal with the fact that your weight is going to fluctuate some.
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm also one who weighs every day. I need it for motivation. When I stop doing it, I get out of control.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My scale only shows an actual deficit about once a month (right after TOM) so I don't get stressed about the scale like I used to. But it took weighing myself everyday or nearly everyday for a long time to realize the trend. I say do what seems right to you. If your weight loss is as slow as mine and you are weighing only once a week, it would be very easy to get frustrated. If your weight loss is coming along as scheduled, then once per week is plenty.
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday just out of curiosity but I don't put any stock in it. That is, I don't freak out if I'm up a pound and I don't gloat if I'm down a pound. If you do freak out over the number every morning, don't do it. Just do whatever you want, it's not that big of a deal.
  • AshleyRoseThin
    AshleyRoseThin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The day after an AMAZING day of clean eating & even an amazing workout does not
    always reflect the day after for me... It's more efficient IMO to do it
    once or twice a week early in the morning :-) Just what i do.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    At first I weighted everyday to keep track like you... but as time went on I changed it to once a week..
    I say it's up to you, what every you feel comfortable doing do it. This is your journey,
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey actually started 2 years ago...I have been weighing myself every few days or so and logging everytime I weigh in on a spreadsheet....it is a continuous progression downward...I do however stop logging and just weigh in during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season....to make sure I don't regain more than 4 or 5 lbs..if I do, then I am more careful till I lose it back....I do not deprive myself ever...I eat whatever I want, within reason...and do eat with everyone else whenever I am with family or friends for holidays or employee functions....I have lost 36 lbs so far, slowly, but I AM DOING IT without making myself feel deprived....I have to admit tho, I no longer go for seconds...LOL
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My scale is driving me nuts. I have a bad habit of weighing every morning. I think its time to put it away for awhile... scale timeout.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why people say to only weigh once per week if you want to avoid weight fluctuations...what if the one day that you weigh yourself you happen to fluctuate up? I usually weigh myself 2-3x/week and take an average, but I usually find that my most valid weight is always the week after TOM
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't day the daily fluctuations to heart, I don't think there is a problem with it. I do the same thing, but I only count the Sunday weigh-ins.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It is bad to weigh yourself every day if you are fragile. I am not saying that I am fragile, but I only "count" one weigh-in per week. I check every day, but just to see what kinds of fluctuations there might be. I did have the king of fluctuations last week, going down a pound from the previous day to up five to down six. I figured that the "up five" had a lot to do with the eight cups of water I had already drank plus not having a BM for a couple of days--sure enough, the evacuated less hydrated me the next day was down significantly. I take daily weighing like election polls--the number is a snapshot in time, not the be-all and end-all.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day after my morning gym workout. However I only actually log it on MFP on Saturdays.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i do better weighing in (in the morning) everyday. i prefer it. then log it once a week or whenever
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i weigh at least every day if not more
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you're genuinely just interested in progress or if you have a psychological attachment to the number. If you're feeling obsessive, it might be a good idea to step away for a while and focus on why you're really doing this weight loss thing.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself everyday but the stress of seeing the numbers climb or drop (often due to water) started to affect my program.

On days my weight stayed the same, I thought "oh, I can loosen up a bit on the diet since I am not really losing anyway."

On days when my weight increased, I thought "I've failed somehow." It's very demotivating.

If you KNOW that you are staying at calorie goals and exercising, it's probably best to weigh every one or two weeks (sometimes two, so you know water weight fluctuations can never exceed the loss).
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why people say to only weigh once per week if you want to avoid weight fluctuations...what if the one day that you weigh yourself you happen to fluctuate up? I usually weigh myself 2-3x/week and take an average, but I usually find that my most valid weight is always the week after TOM

Exactly!!!!!

Weighing once a week or less is mathematically incorrect if you are trying to lose weight. Only if you have reached your goal and want to make sure you stay there should you weight once a week.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Exactly!!!!!

Weighing once a week or less is mathematically incorrect if you are trying to lose weight. Only if you have reached your goal and want to make sure you stay there should you weight once a week.

It's not mathematically incorrect. I think he point behind weighing yourself once a week is that even if you fluctuate up, after a whole week you'll have lost some weight anyway and the measurement will motivate you to keep going. Personally, I've been weighing myself daily up to now, as I kept losing some weight almost every day. However, after 1,5 months in, my weight loss is starting to slow down and I'm considering weighing myself a bit less, maybe every other day. It's not that my weight fluctuates, but it's sometimes frustrating to work hard and be proud of your eating and see no change on the scale.

Anyway, my advice to the OP would be: do what you think is best for you. If daily weighing yourself helps you and motivates you, keep doing it. However, if you start feeling demotivated, reducing you weigh in days may help - just don't give up on your diet and exercise plan.
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only before I eat or drink anything. Anything afterwards doesn't count. Of course don't forget to pee before you weigh yourself.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    If you can handle the natural daily fluctuations then it's not bad, but if it affects you, it's best you stick to once a week or once a month. However, weighing in at night isn't very accurate as it takes into account food weight, and it's not like your food intake is perfectly identical each day either. For accuracy, weigh in in the mornings after going to the toilet.