Wedding Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it varies based on the store you buy your dress from on how long it takes to come in. My dress took 4 weeks to come in from David's Bridal. I had talked to another shop who told me I was way too far behind in planning to order from them at 6 months before my wedding and that I should have allowed 9-12 months to order my dress (and I said good day to them!).

As far as alterations go, I had my final alterations done 2 months before the wedding, and I just kept my weight there. It was all I could do at that point to maintain anyways, because I was so busy and stressed with the wedding.

Congrats on getting engaged!
  • paprs
    paprs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great feedback!!! I truly appreciate it.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    a corset back is your friend. They are very forgiving.
  • paprs
    Options
    @lavie - thank you! you look beautiful in your dress!
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement! I ordered my dress in August for my wedding in April and it should be here in the next couple weeks! I was told to order mine a little on the earlier side because of Chinese New Year, when I guess clothing production pretty much ceases for a while.

I agree with everyone that you need to find someone who is very good at alterations. it won't be cheap but a great fitting wedding dress (or any clothes) is the key to having you look amazing. So make sure that you budget alterations in your overall dress budget.

Can I just say I'm impressed with all of you who planned weddings so quickly!! Kudos! I got engaged in Nov. 2011 and we're getting married in April and I still have so much to do!
  • paprs
    Options
    @alcon- I just heard about Chinese New Years today as well. Really good to know!

Congrats on your engagement!
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your engagement! I am getting married one year after you - 10/18/2014! Good luck with your goals!
  • tsd821
    tsd821 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ordered a dress about 6 months before my wedding, not intending to diet. I changed my mind, and by the time the dress came I'd lost 15 pounds. By the time of my wedding, I had lost 10-15 more. Every fitting it seemed like it was being taken in quite a bit. My seamstress said it's never a problem to take it in, so she told me to keep losing weight until my final fitting. Order the dress you love that fits you now. And know that with the right seamstress, there shouldn't be any reason why it can't be adjusted later. Congratulations!
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i have nothing helpful to say, but congratulations!!!!
  • kathendo1984
    Options
    hello, my wedding is also in cotober 2013, sat the 26th to be adsact. I have chosen my dress and it will be orderd jan 15th, they said it will take roughly 6 months to come in so to order it early just incase of any issue's, such as chinease new year. I think it depends on the shop you get your dress from and weather its off the peg or needs to be orderd, im being measured in jan and if im between sizes im going to get the smaller one, its a corset back so i no il be fine :) adding you to keep me motivated :) x
  • paprs
    Options
    @violetta and @lilac - thank you!

@tsd - that's very good to hear! It really sounds like choosing the right seamstress can make all the difference!

@kathendo - thanks for the add, and congrats!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing but we will have a late August wedding. I have 6 months to lose 9 pounds so that I can get my dress by June (at the latest).
  • paprs
    Options
    @love4fitness -- 6 months to lose 9 pounds sounds awesome! you will look great on your wedding day!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    @love4fitness -- 6 months to lose 9 pounds sounds awesome! you will look great on your wedding day!

Thank you! I sure hope so.
  • lisahelenkane
    lisahelenkane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in this situation now....can I ask how it all worked out? I'm 186lbs now, hoping to be 160lbs at least by my wedding in August, but need to buy the dress soon due to being an expat and getting married in my partners home rather than mine (the UK). Feeling a bit overwhelmed if I'm honest! Was planning to go shopping in April, now I'm being told thats way to late!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I am in this situation now....can I ask how it all worked out? I'm 186lbs now, hoping to be 160lbs at least by my wedding in August, but need to buy the dress soon due to being an expat and getting married in my partners home rather than mine (the UK). Feeling a bit overwhelmed if I'm honest! Was planning to go shopping in April, now I'm being told thats way to late!

I got married in August 2008. I chose my dress at the beginning of the January that year, and it was in around May I think. I'd lost weight by then and it had to be taken in quite a bit. Then I had a final fitting in July and it had to be taken in some more.