Options
This claims to burn 500-800 cals.
Do you think it's true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h30dWmbvsfk

Replies

• ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Any opinions? I'm just thinking, it goes for 20 mins if you do it 4 times like it recommends, and the 30 day shred also goes for 20 mins but only burns 220 or so... Is this really 2-3 times more intense and effective?
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Any opinions? I'm just thinking, it goes for 20 mins if you do it 4 times like it recommends, and the 30 day shred also goes for 20 mins but only burns 220 or so... Is this really 2-3 times more intense and effective?

I found the 30DS burnt 350 cals on Level 2 for me (using Heart Rate Monitor), whilst the calculation on here was 230 cals.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • severnc
    severnc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    if you did it for 40 or 50 minutes it could probably burn 500-800 calories. but in the explanation it says they included the "after burn" effect in that 500-800 calorie estimate...
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will burn 500-800cals but it looks like a good work out though.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    if you did it for 40 or 50 minutes it could probably burn 500-800 calories. but in the explanation it says they included the "after burn" effect in that 500-800 calorie estimate...

Ooh, could you please explain what the "after burn" effect means? Sounds intriguing
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

And "afterburn" can be whatever you want it to be. There is no research or documentation behind the claim, so it is essentially a made up number.

The other thing is you have to look at the nature of the movements themselves. Yes it would take a decent fitness level to do that workout, but if you are not trained to do those movements you will burn out from localized muscle fatigue. At that point, your intensity (and thus calorie burn) is going to plummet. Just at the girl doing the beginning exercise: by the time they got to about rep 7, she was barely moving.

There is so much about this type of exercise that people don't understand, yet you see these talking points thrown out like were gospel truth.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    There are factors to consider - not everyone burns at the same rate. However, that being said, 500-800 cals in just 4 minutes? No way.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Ooh, could you please explain what the "after burn" effect means? Sounds intriguing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-exercise_oxygen_consumption
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Oh no, now we've got a new reason to search for more to eat!