STARVATION MODE

Options
How come people say you don't lose weight during STARVATION MODE? I understand how this works and that your metabolism slows down, but any time I've restricted what I've ate I lose weight. I feel it's a guarantee. I want to hear others opinions on this and what works for them!?

Replies

• BlackBarbieBABY
    Options
    People lie too much on here, yes starvation works, that is how most models stay that way. Also when you are not eating you are not sitting there thinking about food saying should i have a salad with grilled or fried chicken, you avoid everything.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    How much did you restrict your caloric intake? For how long did you restrict it? How overweight were you when you restricted calories? Is it possible that you are underestimating how much you eat?

These details matter. It isn't as simple as "go one calorie under 1200 one day, and poof!" Also, the real reason for the 1,200 number isn't concern about starvation; its concern about malnutrition from not getting enough nutrients.

In any event, you should not be eating under your BMR.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Starvation mode only happens when you get to a really low BF%. For women, <10%. MFP loves encouraging the myth that you can't eat less than 1,200 calories and be healthy. The thing about your metabolism slowing down really only happens after >60 hours of no food.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sorry but here we go again. As you are no doubt aware the "starvation mode" falls onto 2 opposite camps, those who poo poo it, and those who insist you will be fat & dead by the weekend

I am in the poo poo camp. Given the basic Western diet and obesity you have plenty of food & fat to survive & lose weight,, even at 1200 calories & below

As has been said before on these forums, not eating, or eating below your BMR will make you lose weight. You only have to look at any news pictures to see affect of not enough food

I am not advocating starving, just be sensible

I eat at or around 1200 calories, works for me
  • macmac1212
    macmac1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    While I certainly don't recommend purposefully starving yourself (as EVERYONE says here...count calories and exercise, and as long as cals in are less than cals used that day, you should lose weight), I can remember watching season after season of Survivor, where they only ate maybe 4 spoons of rice each day for 39 days, and they dramatically lost weight, but they didn't die. So, I'm with you on poo pooing the "you'll die if you only eat 1999 calories today" camp, but I still would encourage you to eat well rounded meals and try ot monitor the food you eat. :-)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode happens at very low body fat levels. There have been military studies on it. It is real.

What MFPers here talk about is NOT starvation mode but rather the ill effects of malnutrition.

Your body engages in many biochemical functions throughout the day, including cellular repair from constant damage. To do these biochemical reactions and to do the repairs, you need vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Your body simply cannot make these out of calories.

So, when you restrict your diet greatly, it is very likely you will not get your full proper nutrition. Because of this, certain reactions and repairs do not take place in the amount they should. This means that the energy to do them is not spent.

Provided you have a significant amount of body fat to use as energy, and you get every vitamin, mineral, and amino acid you need, you'll be fine. However, this is difficult to do when you only have a few calories to work with.

Malnutrition will slow your metabolism down. BUT, it does not stop it. So, you can still beat the effects of malnutrition by lowering calories even further.

As for MFP going by 1200, it is a safety/legal precaution. It is a simply math tool. MFP does not want to be sued by people that would set MFP at 800 calories a day and develop anorexia. It is an arbitrary number that is set low enough that a good majority of people shouldn't eat under while losing weight in a healthy way.

In conclusion:

Starvation mode does exist. Proven fact. Studies down. Every one here has agreed.

What you are calling "Starvation Mode" is actually the ill effects of malnutrition which depends more on nutritional content than it does caloric intake.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is the MOST sensible thread on this topic.......
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Basically comes down to a few things.. Do you want to lose weight quickly and gain it all back, or do you want to lose it and keep it off? You want to lose weight quickly, be skinny fat with no muscle.. starve, you want to lose it and keep it off while having a body you may want in the end, then don't starve.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Basically comes down to a few things.. Do you want to lose weight quickly and gain it all back, or do you want to lose it and keep it off? You want to lose weight quickly, be skinny fat with no muscle.. starve, you want to lose it and keep it off while having a body you may want in the end, then don't starve.

Quite a few false assumptions in the above post

Who decides you gain it all back? or lose no fat & only muscle? Is it all down to magic and pseudo science?

Surely down to individual choices and not some magic mantra?

Eat sensibly once lost weight, no matter how quickly, and sensible exercise or life style will prevail?

Your free will, just eat & live well, do not go back to previous life style, and all should be fine
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole "starvation mode" thing either. I do eat between 1200 - 1300 calories a day, I do not eat back my exercise calories (unless its a special occasion), so every time I close out my diary it says "you're eating too few calories, starvation mode, blah, blah, blah", but it also says if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll lose 10 - 15lbs in 5 weeks (which has yet to happen). So I ignore it.
  • EatingRight123
    Options
    Starvation mode = nice excuse myth for people with no willpower who can't hold thorugh excessive hunger.

There are also people who "for placebo effect" are saying to public how they are feeling full on low cal diet, eventhough they are in so much hunger, they binge after 3 days, and then blame it on "starvation mode"
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode = nice excuse myth for people with no willpower who can't hold thorugh excessive hunger.

There are also people who "for placebo effect" are saying to public how they are feeling full on low cal diet, eventhough they are in so much hunger, they binge after 3 days, and then blame it on "starvation mode"

Love your incredible lack of scientific education. Is everything you post completely biased B.S.?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Quite a few false assumptions in the above post

Who decides you gain it all back? or lose no fat & only muscle? Is it all down to magic and pseudo science?

Surely down to individual choices and not some magic mantra?

Eat sensibly once lost weight, no matter how quickly, and sensible exercise or life style will prevail?

Your free will, just eat & live well, do not go back to previous life style, and all should be fine

I wouldn't say false assumptions, I made generalizations based on people's past experiences.. Companies like Jenny Craig, Weight watchers are all in business selling the lose weight while eating lower calorie diets, then when you lose the weight, you go off their programs only to regain it back when you start eating like a normal person.. then you go back to them to lose more weight.. you are their repeat customer.. Will some people keep the weight off, sure.. is it the majority, doubtful.

I didn't say lose no fat and all muscle.. you will lose fat but you will lose muscle at a higher rate (then if you were eating correctly and with a smaller deficit).. the higher your deficit the more chance you have of burning muscle and fat.. If you want to weight 120 and be 30-40% BF you won't have that picture of the girl with tight stomach, nice arms, defined abs..

This isn't magic and make believe.. this is how people lose weight without all the gimmicks and magic pills and plans people are doing.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Personally I think MFP uses the starvation mode rhetoric to avoid any potential legal problems
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    UGH
    ENOUGH WITH THE STARVATION MODE
    GOOGLE THAT **** IF YOU CARE SO MUCH
    SICK OF EVERY SINGLE THREAD BEING ABOUT THIS TOPIC

Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    xYc8C