Calorie Intake Help PLZ N TY!?! :)

Options
Hello all! I need some help with a question I have. My high intake is 1550 and well for a couple of days now I have been eating 1,100 (1,055 today, pre do my meals) and feel fine. Its always telling me I am below my intake and starvation mode will start (yeah right I am 302lbs xD) I am wondering what do you do? I mean I am trying to keep my Sat Fat, Fat and Cholesterol down in numbers. So in order to do that I need to eat less calories it seems for the foods I like. ( Might switch it up a bit to get more calories per what you give for info.) My question really is, should I rather get the 1,200 in and go over into red on a few other things (normally fat which is at 38g) or do I just leave it were I am (dairy is open if you would like to see what my stuff is). I mean I pretty much make my Breaky my biggest mean then lower the calories in every other meal to work it out better for my body. But I have a body media armband and when I go into the red it says I am eating too much fat for my body and so on....so what would you do?

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would eat right up to your calorie goal.

You NEED healthy fats in your diet. It is something the body needs to function properly.

Eating too little for too long will cause your body to go after lean muscle along with fat which you don't want. Less muscle means a lower daily calorie burn among other things.

Eat to your daily goal and max out your protein (go over MFP protein goals). ALso, eat back at least half of any exercise calories you earn.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You dont need to eat less you just may need to switch up some of the food. It is hard at first because you become use to certain foods but over time you change and start craving the healthier choices so you can eat more. I use to love sausage, then turkey sausage now Canadian bacon!

If you are worried about fat and cholesterol you could try using a milk that is 2%,1%or fat free! Also, if you are watching cholesterol you could use just the egg whites since the cholesterol is in the yolk!

Also, for weight loss class i am in they wanted me to eat no more than 47g fat based on my weight and no history of heart disease. I don't worry about it too much...some days I am way over and others way under!

Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I need some help with a question I have. My high intake is 1550 and well for a couple of days now I have been eating 1,100 (1,055 today, pre do my meals) and feel fine. Its always telling me I am below my intake and starvation mode will start (yeah right I am 302lbs xD) I am wondering what do you do? I mean I am trying to keep my Sat Fat, Fat and Cholesterol down in numbers. So in order to do that I need to eat less calories it seems for the foods I like. ( Might switch it up a bit to get more calories per what you give for info.) My question really is, should I rather get the 1,200 in and go over into red on a few other things (normally fat which is at 38g) or do I just leave it were I am (dairy is open if you would like to see what my stuff is). I mean I pretty much make my Breaky my biggest mean then lower the calories in every other meal to work it out better for my body. But I have a body media armband and when I go into the red it says I am eating too much fat for my body and so on....so what would you do?

A few thoughts...

At 302lbs, you can get away with lower cal diets "better" than someone with less weigh to lose. I wouldn't do it long term if I were you, but I also wouldn't freak out about it at this point. Don't net 500 cals or something stupid low though either. My point... you have a bit more flexibility than do leaner folks.

Don't be afraid of fats. Yes, even saturated ones. They have gotten a lot of bad press over the years, but more recent studies show that dietary fat isn't the evil awfulness you may have been led to believe. Avoid trans fats for sure, but the others are fine (and good!) in appropriate quantities.

Even if you are trying to keep fats down, you don't need to eat less cals, you just need fewer of your cals to come from fats.

Lastly, going over in fats and protein is fine. In many cases, it's good. Fats and protein should come at the cost of carbs, not overall cals. So IMO, definitely hit yoru calorie goal if it means going over in fats or protein (especially protein).
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    the only reason I am all about keeping the fats low is my Triglycerides were 178 and my doc wants me to get them down to 150 or lower. Everything else in my blood work was good accept showing I was Anemic and Vitamin D Deficiency. I am trying to lower these, get back into working out harder ( can't run due to a leg injury that is still healing.) and just loosing the extra weight that is uncalled for >_<.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    the only reason I am all about keeping the fats low is my Triglycerides were 178 and my doc wants me to get them down to 150 or lower. Everything else in my blood work was good accept showing I was Anemic and Vitamin D Deficiency. I am trying to lower these, get back into working out harder ( can't run due to a leg injury that is still healing.) and just loosing the extra weight that is uncalled for >_<.

Eat leaner cuts of meat (sirloin, chicken, turkey, bison, duck, lamb). All are high in fat, but low in saturated fat. Also, concentrate on eating lots of fruits and veggies. On top of that, if you struggle to get extra calories, then either get a high calorie protein bar or protein drink (muscle milk is 300 calories per two scoops) or eat nuts, avocado, cook meats in EVOO or my personal favorite, go to town on a peanut butter jar. Realistically, you can eat 2000 calories or less and still lose weight.

Since your leg is hurt, there are a few things I would recommend. First, do weight training. This is less impact and it great for muscle retention. Second, while you are injured, eat more! Even upwards of 2000 calories to all your body to get the nutrition to repair your injury. Remember, food is fuel, so if your suppress while injured, it will take longer to heal. Make sure sure they are good, high protein calories.

ps- exercise and weight loss alone will drop your triglycerides. It's not so much that fact of what we eat. I have diet high in meat and fats and I continuously improve all my cholesterol numbers because I am cutting fat.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    With your extra size, you can work with lower calories than leaner people, but the issue you have to consider is malnutrition due to fewer calories.

At the calories you are working at, I'd say the idea of eating "foods [you] enjoy" is OUT THE WINDOW. Sorry. You need the most nutrient dense foods you can find. Otherwise, raise your calories. In a very low calorie diet, food is no longer a "treat" but rather solely "fuel", you have absolutely no wiggle room for poor dietary choices as someone not following a very low calorie diet does.

As for exercise, you should not engage in any cardio activities that will put undue stress on your joints. You should look for exercises such as swimming and cycling to not destroy your joints. Strength training is a VERY valuable weight loss tool, one that you may find more to your liking. It will also preserve precious muscle mass.

You should definitely figure out your TDEE and determine your calorie deficit from there.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Check out the group Eat More 2 Weigh Less. Stop starving yourself. You're on a downward spiral with no end game. You cannot maintain a 1000 calorie life style without serious implications on your overall health. I joined this group, swallowed my pride and doubt and started eating more. AND LOST 10 LBS. The 2000 calorie day is not a myth. It's real and it's great.

I eat very nutritiously and at even 1400 cal i"m low in iron, potassium, protein, everything. It's no good. Only a 1900 cal day will do it for me.

You will have to take some time plateauing/gaining a bit to reset your damaged starving metabolism.

Good luck. Have faith.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You have a picture of a lady boxer in your profile. You must admire that body. Guess what, she eats at least 2000 cal a day for a body like that. Combined with exercise and clean eating choices of course. You can't eat pizza all day and expect to get like that (not that you do expect that).
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I worked out your numbers with what info I had,

Weight: 302
    Height: 5’6”
    Activity Level: 1.4
    Male or Female: F

Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR WOMEN) BMR 2,127
    Maintenance 2,978
    Cut (@ 15%) 2,531(This for losing weight the healthy way)
    Build (@ 15%) 3,425 (This for gaining weight the healthy way)

If you would like send me a message and give me your info, I would gladly run the numbers for you, or you can go to this google docs folder and download the spreadsheet and do it yourself. Anything in this folder is for the taking, so please use it and SHARE it!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

There is a page that is In Place Of A Road Map that will walk you through the process of getting these numbers

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I worked out your numbers with what info I had,

Weight: 302
    Height: 5’6”
    Activity Level: 1.4
    Male or Female: F

Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR WOMEN) BMR 2,127
    Maintenance 2,978
    Cut (@ 15%) 2,531(This for losing weight the healthy way)
    Build (@ 15%) 3,425 (This for gaining weight the healthy way)

If you would like send me a message and give me your info, I would gladly run the numbers for you, or you can go to this google docs folder and download the spreadsheet and do it yourself. Anything in this folder is for the taking, so please use it and SHARE it!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

There is a page that is In Place Of A Road Map that will walk you through the process of getting these numbers

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com

Care to share the wisdom this way, Sir?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    My dear, I weigh 450 pounds as of this morning. I topped at 485 and I got there by having BED (binge eating disorder) and bulimia. I regularly would eat at a major deficit, and then when my body couldn't take it anymore, I'd lose control and binge and balloon up higher.

Many of us that get to these higher weights do so by establishing a starvation level of calories as a baseline for our bodies, so anything we eat over that ends up either making us sick, or sticking to our sides like camel humps. However, what I have learned is that if you up your eating, eat your exercise calories, and watch your macros, you'll switch from feeling really full and bloated to being hungry all the dang time in less than a week.

One thing to keep in mind: Bariatric patients are generally given a diet plan of 1000-1200 calories with a boatload of supplements. You are currently eating as if you have had surgical intervention, but it doesn't sound like you are making a point to supplement with vitamins and nutrient dense foods.

As for the triglycerides, those are most commonly found in fried foods, quick fix foods, and foods with "bad fat" in them. Sorry to assume but if you're over 300, my guess is that the foods you like include things like french fries and breakfast meats. If you are not able to work out, you really have to watch what you put into your mouth. It is not hard to drop that number if you make simple dietary changes and exercise.

All this being said, you need to eat more. Whether you like it or not, you have a 302lbs body and that means you need to fuel that body. I know some people say, eat for the body you want, but that doesn't work for those of us that are really big. I might want a 180lbs body but if I eat that, I'll be 2k+ calories in deficit.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat a ton of fried foods. I eat bagged popcorn ( my downfall) I can sit their and eat the whole dang bag so I have stopped buying them, I did eat a lot of take out like Chinese, pizza, subs and a ton of soda. I do take vitamins but thats due to my doctor setting me up on them recently. I want to be healthy and I am at 1550 as thats what MFP set me up on. I didn't know all about this information as when I went to a nutritionist this is the info I was given to work with almost to the T (they had 1650 but I figured 1550 going off what MFP said) now I am so lost and confused >_<. I do eat a ton of veggies and fruit in my diet, eat peanut butter as well along with salads minimal processed packaged meals and am more close to a vegetarian diet now as I can semi stand meat but not too much. So I do eat a lot of boco burgers and morning star farm things. I guess I need to better understand what I need for me. I mean I am 5'3, 302lbs and thought I was doing good for myself but guess I was not in the right amounts. So thanks!!

OH! also I have not had surgery for weight loss. Just saying so you all know that I don't need to be at 1,000-1,200 :).