drs orders

Options
im on a high fiber diet. any suggestions other than oatmeal and broccoli.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars are a real treat. Veggies in general are good fiber, so are fruits. You could also take a supplement like metamucil.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    beans! yummy and high in protein and fiber!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Fiber 1 cereal...... that will help you
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Here is a link to a list of high fiber foods :-)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582

Looking at this list and going with what I personally like...

*Rasberries
    *Strawberries
    *Wheat pasta
    *Beans, lentils, peas!!!
    *Artichokes

You can do Google searches for "high fiber foods" to get more lists probably, but here's a start!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I would suggest Fiber One Cereal in Caramel Delight. It's the only Fiber one I can eat, but I love it. It smells really sweet, but it's not actually as sweet as it smells. I definitely steer clear of drinking the milk afterwards too.. want to avoid any sugar from it. Also, as a snack & a treat, try the no sugar added jelly belly jellybeans. They are just as good (better, I think) than the regular ones and they contain a lot of fiber because of the sugar alcohol substitute. The fiber holds it all together. BEWARE.. do not eat a whole bag.. even a whole little bag. There's even a warning on the front of the bag. I like to portion them out and give myself one serving of them. I am not a jellybean fan, but they are great. Apples are also a great source of fiber.. an apple a day could help keep your doctor away! Hope these help and good luck.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a list of high fiber foods :-)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582

Looking at this list and going with what I personally like...

*Rasberries
    *Strawberries
    *Wheat pasta
    *Beans, lentils, peas!!!
    *Artichokes

You can do Google searches for "high fiber foods" to get more lists probably, but here's a start!

great thanks
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    kashi go lean! 10g per cup and only 140kcal. sooooo good topped with berries and a splash of skim milk and a packet of splenda
  • lauribear
    lauribear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    According to this site, I get about 35 grams of fibre a day. Here are my faves:

beans (try a white bean soup with carrots and kale or a homemade black bean soup with corn and red pepper)
    grains (barley, bulgur, millet and quinoa are my favourites and wonderful as a side dish with grilled fish)
    fruits and veggies (apples and raspberries are loaded with fibre)
    whole wheat bread
    wheat germ
    ground flaxseed

I often make a smoothie with fruits, veggies and ground flaxseed. It's so good!

The best thing about fibre-rich foods is that they are also packed with other vitamins and minerals as well.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    maybe it sounds silly, I bought a container of just a fiber powder and I mix a tablespoon into a drink in the morning...it's got 6 grams of fiber- i mix it with 8 ounces of water and a half of one of the sugar free drink mix packets (single serve). I also like the double fiber wheat breads as toast, I will add wheat bran to my oatmeal and cereal for extra fiber, on cereal the texture is kinda weird but I tell myself its good for me. There are a lot of yogurts out there now with higher amounts of fiber as well. Whole wheat egg noodles are about 210 calories per serving, but they have around 38 -40 grams of carbs and 6 grams of fiber. Ronzoni smart taste pasta is a good source of fiber. Boca burger all american grillers (yum) also good. Sorry to be a fiber nerd...check out my food log if ya want : )
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    thanks guys i guess i have to think outside the box..haha
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    not to get into too much detail, but plain old fashioned cheerios seem to work wonders for me. by far the most effieicnt thing i eat to keep it "regular". has anyone else had this experience?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fiber are you aiming for per day? I usually get somewhere between 30-40. I do the high fiber oatmeal in the morning (10g), a sandwich with sandwich thins (4 g) for lunch, fiber one bar for snack (9g) and then a variety of fruit (orange, apple, banana) and that gets me pretty close to that total. Add in veggies, and other foods and it will pile up. Those are the things I generally eat everyday though. HTH
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like the fiber powder mixes that you can put in your water.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Apples!!
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ryvita! (do you get that in the US?!) :huh:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Ryvita or Wasa are both good. But there are different kinds and some have more fiber than others - read the label! :drinker:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Here's what I ate yesterday (I'm only including the foods with fiber):
    I'm only going to give the fiber count-

Total - Cereal, 3/4 cup dry (30g) 3
    Pears - Asian, raw, 1 fruit 3-3/8" high x 3" diameter 10

Morningstar Farms - Grillers Chik'n, 1 pattie 5
    Cripps Pink - Apples - Raw With Skins, 120 g 2
    Birds Eye - Steamfresh Baby Broccoli Blend, 1 cup 3

Squash - Summer, crookneck and straightneck, raw, 1 cup, sliced 2
    Nasoya - Firm Tofu, 0.33 Package 2