Options

Replies

• llgisme711
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    a gym membership will go a lot further than a workout DVD.

I disagree, if your a beginner and you don't have money for a trainer and nobody shows you what to do.. you will quickly quit the gym since you are going to be lost or confused.. sure you may lift a few weights and use the cardio, but are you really benefiting from no direction?
    (I am a gym rat, just saying the other side of the argument)

As for items to lose weight, I have tried P90x, Insanity, and TapOut XT.. All will give results if you eat correctly and stick with it, but Insanity if your knees can handle it is shorter length of time, and the first month the video's are also shorter..
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam is the best.
  • barbzwithtatts
    Options
    Billy blanks tae bo!!!! All of them, the boxset is not expensive at all. It's so good, me and my mum have tried so many exercise videos; all the celeb ones, dancing ones, boxercise ones and nothing compares to these. You can really feel it. They're old but still so good, i'll always use them.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I think that you can do a good combination of both a gym membership and DVD's myself. I find that doing the DVD's over and over again get redundant so throwing in a day or two of strength training at the gym or a elliptical workout or stationary bike or whatever equipment does a good job of keeping your body going and keeping it "new" so you don't get bored. Change also keeps the body wondering what comes next and helps to burn off the fat.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've had luck at home with some wii and x-box workout "games" as well. I liked the EA Active-done it on Wii, and Your shape on x-box. Both have helped me. I also like 30 Day Shred and Jackie Warner circuit training.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    INSANITY!!!!!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for beginner workouts or something tougher?

If you want something tougher...

Amy Dixon's Breathless Body - there are two volumes of this workout. Both are about an hour and consist of tough, interval-style, three-level, Tabata-style cardio drills.

GymBox's Discount Workouts - if you're looking for challenging barbell workouts at home (lots of squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, presses, etc) check out their Advanced Weight Training series (http://www.discountworkouts.com/weights.php)

Also, check out the reviews, clips and thorough descriptions of many exercise videos at collagevideo.com They sell just about everything available on the market.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    Look up Chalene Johnson - she has a massive, fun, kick butt line of videos. Turbo Jam, Turbo Kick, Turbo Fire, PiYo, etc.

Ditto!:happy:
  • tbellamy1
    Options

I dont agree with this. I workout to Cathe Friedrich and I lift HEAVY. She promotes heavy lifting and teaches you all the moves you do at the gym. She also teaches about body alignment, 1 RM's and helps you build strength. I had a gym membership for 2 years and never knew any of the things she has taught me with her videos. Its like havinh a trainer in a box.

To the OP cathe.com check her out. watch the previews and GO!!! SHe has everything from heavy lifting to yoga
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    considering it only takes about 6 months of weight training to put bob harper's physique to shame:
    bob_harper_01_01.jpg

I'd still lean towards a gym membership.

Anyone can put out a DVD with endurance based training that makes people feel like they had a good workout. Doesn't mean it's going to have a dramatically positive effect on their body composition. Weight training will.

Results are 90% diet, no matter what exercise you are doing. Sure you aren't going to build muscles without strength training, but you aren't going to build muscles without a calorie surplus either.

Not everyone responds best to working in a gym environment. Not everyone has the time for it.

You can strength train and do cardio at home by yourself or via videos.

To me P90X is the gold standard video program that others are judged against. It has its flaws, the rep ranges are a little too high IMHO, but it is a complete well throught out program with a lot of results backing it up. I've never done it (the full program, love the Yoga video though) and am by no means a fanboy, but can at least respect the system. Tony is a pretty good teacher and motivator.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Try YouTube and Collage video to preview. I personally use several different ones but your fitness level will help you determine what works best for you.

I use several of the Biggest Loser titles. Power Walk was my starting DVD also like the At Home challenge title
    I also use a couple of the Leslie Sansone walks
    Extreme Makeover weight loss edition the whole thing is on YouTube
    I also use Jillian's kickboxing DVD
    I also love Gin Miller Everybody Steps step workout.

For me the key is how quickly the trainer changes moves and how well it is queued
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree. Try any of Bob Harper's DVDs and you will see what I mean.

considering it only takes about 6 months of weight training to put bob harper's physique to shame:
    bob_harper_01_01.jpg

Anyone can put out a DVD with endurance based training that makes people feel like they had a good workout. Doesn't mean it's going to have a dramatically positive effect on their body composition. Weight training will.

Well *kitten* I guess I'm wasting my time working out at home - I better go out and spend money I don't have for a gym I won't make the time for because when you're a working single mother, being home when I can with my daughter takes priority. :huh:

Oh and relay that message to any man who's completed a few rounds of P90X or Body Beast or Insanity - I know quite a few that would blow your physique out of the water
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels videos--all of them :)
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I am currently doing "The Firm" Slim in 30, I've also done Zumba, Walk Away the Pounds, and 30 Day Shred...I had the biggest transformation with 30DS my next purchase will be Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I like to rotate the systems so I don't get bored. I have lost 30lbs in the past couple of months and during the Shred I lost 10 inches around my waist and hips (combined). I took before and after pictures, they really help. As others have said, amazon is the best, I got 30DS for under $7. No matter what you choose make sure you are making healthy eating choices because I worked out for years without making major changes to my diet and I yo-yoed, now I finally feel like I'm figuring things out for myself! Yay me, and yay you:drinker: Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • arccx
    arccx Posts: 5
    Options
    Since no one mentioned kettlebells, I will. They rock. Cardio and heavy lifting combined. Lauren has dvds and can be seen on You tube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kbellqueen
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I strongly disagree. Try any of Bob Harper's DVDs and you will see what I mean.

bob_harper_01_01.jpg

Well *kitten* I guess I'm wasting my time working out at home - I better go out and spend money I don't have for a gym I won't make the time for because when you're a working single mother, being home when I can with my daughter takes priority. :huh:

Oh and relay that message to any man who's completed a few rounds of P90X or Body Beast or Insanity - I know quite a few that would blow your physique out of the water

Bob looks good...

But a few of the guys on here look much better..

They know who they are.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Since no one mentioned kettlebells, I will. They rock. Cardio and heavy lifting combined. Lauren has dvds and can be seen on You tube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kbellqueen

Absofreakinlutely! Tracy Reifkind videos on youtube are great too.

That being said - the best workout is the one that you will do.

Try going to the library and see what is available to check out. Try before you buy.

I've got so many dvds sitting around. Tae Bo, Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, Art of Strength (great kettlebell dvds by the way), a couple kickboxing dvds. All of them will give you a good workout. You could spend a small fortune if you wanted to.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Oh love the recommendations on the Kettle bell vids. I bought kettlebells, but only found crappy workouts. Will have to check out these ones. Thanks :)
  • arccx
    arccx Posts: 5
    Options
    ^sherri... Kettlebells are great. Remember that form is extra important when swing the weight so practice practice practice! I usually practice new moves with a lightweight bell before moving up to my regular weight.