I have only skinny friends and they just don't get it

Options
Does anyone else struggle with their weight but often feel unsupported by friends? Most of my friends are very thin (most are naturally very thin as well) and they do not struggle with their weight. They sometimes seem self-conscious, as most people probably are, but they get annoyed when I talk about weight loss and they are not very supportive.

I have other friends who are more supportive, but I do care deeply about a few of these girls who just don't want to hear about it. In fact, they criticize me for wanting to change myself saying that "you should love yourself the way you are." It's not about not loving yourself, I like who I am. That said, what's wrong with respecting myself enough to want to make a change to have a healthier life?

I'm a junior in college and overall have a happy social life-- It's really just a few friends (whom I do care about) who are just not supportive. Any advice for getting them to understand or to back off? Thanks!

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else struggle with their weight but often feel unsupported by friends? Most of my friends are very thin (most are naturally very thin as well) and they do not struggle with their weight. They sometimes seem self-conscious, as most people probably are, but they get annoyed when I talk about weight loss and they are not very supportive.

I have other friends who are more supportive, but I do care deeply about a few of these girls who just don't want to hear about it. In fact, they criticize me for wanting to change myself saying that "you should love yourself the way you are." It's not about not loving yourself, I like who I am. That said, what's wrong with respecting myself enough to want to make a change to have a healthier life?

I'm a junior in college and overall have a happy social life-- It's really just a few friends (whom I do care about) who are just not supportive. Any advice for getting them to understand or to back off? Thanks!

The good news is that sometime in the next few years, most of them will be trying to lose their baby weight, they'll slow down and widen out and you'll already be the one that has learned to take care of yourself.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    That sucks, really if I didn't have friends who supported I wouldn't have lost my weight so fast. But explain to them you are doing this for YOU not for them. Just let them know appropriately that they are making you feel uncomfortable.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a mixture of friends but feel that neither fat or skinny friends support you. Most will give you compliments and turn around and try to get you to eat junk in a social setting. They'll say things like "Gosh, I would be starving if I were you", "Here have this piece of cake you can work it out later"...

I find that I get more support from folks on MFP in terms that I need it instead of the fake "Oh I am so happy you are losing weight but here have a plate full of bacon"
  • Tuketi
    Tuketi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "It's not about not loving yourself, I like who I am. That said, what's wrong with respecting myself enough to want to make a change to have a healthier life?"

I totally agree, and while I support the recent media campaigns regarding beauty standards and various body types being acceptable, I don't like the "love your body how it is no matter what" mentality that some people have from it, for exactly the reason you mentioned.

As for support, for some people it's just not an issue in their own lives so they can't and won't understand why it's important to you. I'd suggest making at least one new friend whom you know is interested in fitness/weight loss, maybe at the gym at your college, and make it clear that you're looking for support with your weight loss. Even if you don't hang out with them all the time like your other friends, it can be so helpful to have just one other person helping you along.
  • smileMOR
    Options
    hello! (:

first of all considering its pretty clear some of the people mean alot to you, and you are really wanting their support. And i absolutely agree with you. Support and motivation is a TREMENDOUS part of losing weight, getting healthy and starting an active lifestyle. What i would suggest is simply sit don with them. One on one if you'd rather, and just explain to them how badly you want this and how determined yoy are to achieve that goal of a healthy lifestyle! (:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1. Stop talking about weight loss with them.
    2. Rely on yourself and no one else to do what needs to be done to be healthy.
    3. Stop assuming that anyone is "naturally thin". Just because people don't talk about what they do to maintain their weight doesn't mean it doesn't take effort.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    First and foremost you have to believe in yourself and support yourself, and if you are lucky you will have a couple of family members and or friends that have your back and support and encourage you. (I have an Aunt who has been a size 2 her entire life, and she keeps telling me if I would "stop eatting bread I wouldn't be so fat" .... gee thanks, I don't even eat bread that much! LOL) I just blow off her comments and other's that are negative and solely focus on those who do support and offer encouragement and understanding. Sometimes if you have those who aren't supportive you may have to "limit' your time around them until you get to a place where you aren't influenced by them....it happens, I have friends who drink and party and can't understand why if I do chose to drink it will be ONE not 10. What THEY choose to do is THEIR business, What I choose is MY Business and I am in control of what I do or don't do regardless of their actions or suggestions. This is your journey and you chose who to share it with, this is a great site to have in your corner! :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My best friend weighs about 120lbs when she's between activities (she's a swimmer and really active). Being healthy is second nature to her, she would rather eat carrots than candy without even a conscious thought. The amount of weight I started out wanting to lose was 127lbs, or one Kirsten +7lbs haha. I'm lucky in that she's very supportive of me.

However, since it's never been a struggle for her she just does not understand my issues with food. You can try to explain it all you want but if someone has never been a food addict they just don't understand the mental process. I found the best thing I ever did was sit down and have a serious conversation with her about *why* I struggle and with what things. I laid out the things that hurt me when she says, like "just don't eat that" or something of that nature. With people who get annoyed that I talk about my weight loss constantly, I have always had to clearly define that I'm strugling and want encouragement, not negativity. If you talk to yuor friends honestly they should come around. If they don't, that's their problem,.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I find that I tend to get obsessed when I am passionate about something. And right now I am passionate about losing weight and getting healthy. I tend to talk about it a lot and truthfully I know that people get tired of hearing it. You just have to turn to those that are supportive and want to help you in your struggles. Don't talk about it with those that are unsupported, just do what you have to do when you are around them to maintain your goals, and then talk with your friends that are supportive or those on MFP.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    It's one of those things, if you've never walked in those shoes, you just don't understand. For years, I was thin..could eat anything I pleased and never gained. I couldn't understand why some had weight issues.I'm ashamed to say this now, but I thought they were lazy. Then, thyroid disease hit and I put on 40 lbs and couldn't get the weight off, no matter what I tried. I got a good dose of my own medicine. When I decided it was time to take control of my life again, I surrounded myself with those who had succeeded, and those who were on the same journey. Their encouragement is what kept me going.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    This is why you have MFP! Feel free to add me, I'm supportive!
  • sharoncasey60
    sharoncasey60 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Be honest and let it go if the ones who don't seem to understand can't be shared with. Get support from those who offer you support and go with that. I am in a group called OA which supports me wholeheartedly and is a real sisterhood. I supper from compulsive overeatinge and they ALL understand and support me 100%. Just because you are not in this group, doesn't mean some of your friends can't support you. They might be the ones who you need the most support from anyway.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. My mom has decided to try and change how she's eating too (after seeing my success) and it drives my dad bonkers. He hates hearing the words 'diet' and sees us weighing stuff and doesn't really get it. Granted, it doesn't matter what other people think. I would just avoid talking about dieting around them. It's easy to obsess and want to talk to them about it but the reality is they may feel like you're obsessing and they really don't find the topic fascinating because they're skinny.

Instead, invite them to go on walks with you to exercise or create healthy food and offer it. I bet they would enjoy doing fun stuff like hiking or biking. Those are the types of activities you could do and don't say "exercise" as that would be a turn off. It's "fun stuff" (with the side affect of exercise).

If you go out and order something healthy and someone makes a smart comment, I'd tell them that they are being inappropriate and that you're not dieting - call it eating healthy (appropriate portions) and/or a change of lifestyle. Basically, raise an eyebrow and tell them that they don't have to be so negative about your making a healthy lifestyle change which doesn't really affect their eating habits. Heck, order a menu with the calorie counts and go...hmm...that one has 3000 calories so I'll pass and act like you're not really talking to them - watch their eyebrows go up and you may have them asking you to tell them the calories for the meals they ordered.
  • sharoncasey60
    Options
    sorry misspelled a couple of words.....you get the gist. I had eating problems at your age and did not address it. I wish I had. Try to do this early in life and get your health in order.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1. Stop talking about weight loss with them.

this!

i only have one RL friend who i talk to about my weight loss/fitness because the others arent interested. i have my fitness pals instead!!!
  • sharoncasey60
    Options
    right on