Fitness/Weightloss Question

Options
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could answer a quick quetsion for me. Been doing MFP for 5 weeks and have been really trying to get fit as well by going to the gym. I have a long commute to work and even with getting up super early I only realistically manage 30 minutes in the gym in the morning. I try and do another 30 minutes in the evening as well but am usually shattered after a long day.

My question is, with 2, 30 minute work outs at seperate times of the day am I getting as good a work out as if I do a whole hour at once? I try to mix up the work outs by doing interval training, some solid cardio and super sets of fast cardio and resistance intervals.

Any thoughts? x

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're getting as good a workout as if you could do an hour straight, but 30 minutes twice a day is still excellent and probably far more than you were doing before. If that's what you can fit in your schedule, do it and don't worry about the rest.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great plan. When I was in weight loss mode I'd do multiple shorter work out a day (walk or bike ride in the morning and a work out in the afternoon, or vise versa) Don't forget there is no law requiring a work out be at the gym. There is all kinds of activities you can do outside the gym.
  • lisst87
    lisst87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I try and mix it up at the bit. Im in an office during the week from before it is light until well after its dark and its getting on for -3 now so outside not so much fun! The weekends i'm out and about a bit more so can try different things and try to get a good long walk in if I can!

Im conscious as the Christmas parties approach that I will need the morning work out to balance out any extra food so trying to keep the habit during the week as much as possible!

x
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You are definitely getting as good a workout by doing 2 30-minute spurts, in terms of calories burned. However (and this is probably obvious), if you're doing cardio, you're not building your endurance as much as if you did it for an hour straight.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Can you do stairs in your office? I was doing that for a while, but it started bothering my knees and since I get lots of other exercise, I just stopped the stairs.

I usually run 3 times a week, once on weekends, and twice a week I leave work a little early so I can get a short run in before dark. Then I'll walk on the treadmill usually two other times during the week. Do you have the option of getting a treadmill or something for home?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with 2 -30 minute workouts, especially if one is a strength workout. Over the past few months I started doing a short but intense morning strength routine, then a short jog after work & I'm really liking it.
  • lisst87
    Options
    Do try and do stairs at work but do have a bit of a problem with my knees so have to be careful, I tend to use the crosstrainer as it has less impact.
    Have access to a cross trainer and a rowing machine at home over the weekends but to be honest I try and do different things at the weekend so that I dont get bored during the week when I struggle more for other options and free time.

I'd like to better my fitness and I dont think im getting this as es2189 said, or not as effectively as I would. Was more worried though about doing the workouts and them not being effective enough to continue to shift the weight!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I agree-30 minutes a day is better than nothing and I'm sure it's more than what you were doing 5 weeks ago. I break my day up (usually) by doing my strength training on M, W, and F in the morning and then cardio at night and then Tues Thurs I do cardio in the morning and sometimes again at night. Weekends I do it whenever I wake up. Do what you can fit in and what you enjoy. If you want, you could always throw in a workout DVD to change it up
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I was working I'd head out the front door at noon for a 30 minute brisk walk, then come back and get my lunch and eat it at my desk. That might work for you?
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    The best workout program is the one that you can fit into your schedule/life on a long term basis. Nothing wrong with spliting your workout up.
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I actually think it is better to do shorter workouts a few times a day. It boosts your heart rate which helps you burn more calories. I say fit it in where you can!:flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    a 30 minute lifting session every other day would give you ridiculous results.
  • lisst87
    Options

what do you mean by ridiculous? Do you mean i'd end up building?

I dont do that much lifting, I mix the resitance training up and do circuits.

Do try and walk about at lunch time, but nature of the job I often end up working through at my desk. :(

Ive got Shred, i was doing that a few months ago and had some really good results but it is currenlty collecting dust....may need to dig it back out again. I think im more likely to stick to the schedule if I get smaller workouts in as I dont get bored, and I go to the gym just thinking 'its half an hour just get on with it'
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options

i think she means "amazing" results, you wont bulk if u eat at a deficit and ur a lady so u wont look like a man at all, you'll get more definition better body composition. its the best thing you can ever do to your body....lift and lift heavy!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing one of your workout sessions lifting weights and the other doing HIIT training. I think you'll see some really good results that way.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    forget i said anything
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The best workout program is the one that you can fit into your schedule/life on a long term basis. Nothing wrong with spliting your workout up.

this, and

this. Make sure you're incorporating strength/resistance training in, and always make sure you're pushing yourself. If you're the chick in the corner plodding away on the elliptical while reading a magazine, you're really not pushing yourself and you're not going to wake up with the bangin' body you were after. Good for you for fitting it in, but this is the best advice I can give you. Everything else is sort of trivial:

1. Add strength/resistance training to your routine
    2. Consistency is key! Make a habit.
    3. Constantly push yourself to do better and achieve higher fitness goals
  • I think you plan is a good plan. You can do two 30 min high impact workouts and you will probably get more accomplished than a regular hour workout.

Thanks,

http://www.bestantiagingproductstobuy.com
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do 2 x 30 min works out a few days a week. I do a spin class at a lunchtime then go home and do a strength based curcit workout. Been doing it about 5 weeks now and gotten results i never did just doing once a day!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, there's really no reason to do cardio any more often than 30 minutes, three times a week, unless it is simply to create a higher energy deficit. If the latter is the case for you, then splitting your time as needed for your schedule will not hamper your goals.