When to get rid of "big" clothes...

Options
I have dropped two and almost three pants sizes since I began my lifestyle change. I have been boxing them up as I "ungrow" (that's the opposite of outgrow, in my mind) them and putting them in the garage. Keeping them as I am almost seems like a lack of faith in my ability to maintain this weight loss. However, this is based on repeatedly losing the same 30 or so pounds.

I lost the weight doing Weight Watchers about 8 years ago and I dumped all my bigger clothes as I "ungrew" them. Then gained the weight back over a period of a couple years, and had not only the sick feeling of having failed, but also no clothes to wear. I have a bunch of really nice larger clothes. I'm fearful of letting them go, should history repeat itself for the fifteenth time and I gain this weight back.

At what point are you getting rid of your bigger clothes?

Replies

• nefbaker
    Options
    I've been donating them as I go. The fact that I don't make a lot of money as the editor of the local paper, but I have to still dress nice, is just one more incentive to continue tracking everything and staying focused. But that's what is working for me.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I took bags and bags of clothes to Goodwill a while back, I think once I hit around 45 pounds lost. I got a huge thrill doing that! I refused to keep them because I now have the proper mindset and tools to control my weight. Am I going to go back to overeating and not exercising? NEVER
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I too have donated mine to Goodwill after losing 40 plus pounds--to me by getting rid of them, it's saying I REFUSE TO GO BACKWARDS
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I took bags and bags of clothes to Goodwill a while back, I think once I hit around 45 pounds lost. I got a huge thrill doing that! I refused to keep them because I now have the proper mindset and tools to control my weight. Am I going to go back to overeating and not exercising? NEVER

I feel that way too. I really do feel like this lifestyle change is one I can do in the long haul. But it's so hard... I have a friend whose weight loss is getting her close to one of the sizes I've ungrown. I really want to offer her my clothes but just can't seem to make myself do it. It's weird.
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I have lost 60 lbs and havent gotten rid of my fat clothes. They are too big for me now, so couldnt wear them if I tried. I don't know what I'm waiting for!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I too am down three pant sizes... I kept one pair to remind me and two weeks ago I bagged all the other clothes (tops, pants and exercise clothes) and donated them...

Don't keep them because you don't wanna fill them in again ;)

^^high 5^^

You ROCK!
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am getting rid of them as I go. Currently gone from size 22 to 16 (I can even get into a 14 :). I fear that if I keep them I have not made a commitment never to go back to my old lifestyle. Essentially for me, getting rid of them is leaving my past behind and looking forward to a new future.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a closet full of clothes, ranging from my smallest, to my largest. I haven't gotten rid of my smaller clothes because I'm determined to fit back in them...however, I do plan to get pregnant sometime in the future, so why get rid of the bigger clothes that I could fit into once I gain weight again? That's one thing to consider.

However, once I'm done with kids, and have my weight loss goals completed, I would wait about a year or so to make sure that my healthy eating and maintenance goals are working, then get rid of them.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I donated them immediately. Extra motivation.
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have always had a problem with this also. This spring I had a friend who knew someone that had a fire and was the size I had just got out of...that made it an easy decision! I will NEVER go back to that size.
  • TheCaren
    Options
    I have a closet full of clothes, ranging from my smallest, to my largest. I haven't gotten rid of my smaller clothes because I'm determined to fit back in them...however, I do plan to get pregnant sometime in the future, so why get rid of the bigger clothes that I could fit into once I gain weight again? That's one thing to consider.

However, once I'm done with kids, and have my weight loss goals completed, I would wait about a year or so to make sure that my healthy eating and maintenance goals are working, then get rid of them.

I'm 43 years old and have a 24 year old daughter. Baby factory is definitely closed! LOL But I like your idea of putting a time limit on it. Because even when I lost it before, it started creeping back on within that first year. Not a lot, but a pattern was emerging.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Get rid of "big" clothes...AS SOON AS YOU GET NEW CLOTHES :-) You don't need them unless you plan on getting "big" again..................
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just want to comment on your use of "lifestyle change" instead of "diet". I think that speaks volumes. I think I will get rid of them as I go. I will probably alter what I can and donate wnat I can't. Congrats!
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just gave a whole pile of mine to a friend who couldn't afford to buy more clothes. I'm planning in a shopping spree over chirstmas. Besides I don't want to be that size again.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    ive got rid of the biggest sized clothes i have, however still have the dress size above what i am at the minute, once i go down fully to the next size (squeezed into the next size down in jeans this morning- major confidence booster) i will donate that size!!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Once theyre too big, I get rid of them. I donate them to good will.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I'd say when you have maintained your size or kept losing for 6 months or more... then keep at least one pair of your 'fat jeans' so you can always see how far you've come. Then donate the rest
  • TheCaren
    Options
    I just want to comment on your use of "lifestyle change" instead of "diet". I think that speaks volumes. I think I will get rid of them as I go. I will probably alter what I can and donate wnat I can't. Congrats!

It really is a lifestyle change for me. I'm not on a diet and I've had to explain this to about a thousand people IRL who don't get that there isn't an "end" to my new eating habits. This is it baby!

I'm just fearful because I've seen this weight come and go so many times and I love to have lots of clothing options, and so I've got tons of stuff in the wrong sizes.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    donated or tossed out everything but 1 pair of jeans. I keep it as a reminder of how big I was. It's funny to be able to put them on, and slip my entie arm down the pant leg, with room to spare.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm letting them go as they don't fit.. many garbage bags full of clothes have already been donated to the Red Cross. Two are sitting in my livingroom right now.
    I'm keeping 1 pair of jeans though.

History only repeats itself if you allow it to. So don't let it happen this time around.. hanging on to those clothes is like telling yourself it's okay to re-gain the weight.