Still struggling, lost and feeling hopeless

Options
It seems as if my motivation comes and goes. I have been "off the wagon" for about 2 months now and I feel horrible. I blame some of the lack of motivation on the stress I've had in my life recently, but as a therapist I know the number one way to combat against stress is exercise and I still didn't do it. All I want to do is sleep and even when I wake up I'm tired and don't want to do anything. All I've had to drink is pop, can't even tell you the last time I had water to drink. I don't remember the last time I did anything to lose weight either. Everything I'm eating is fried and salty because that's what I'm craving. I have no idea what to do or where to go from here. I want to get back on track and be at least 10 pounds down before the first of the year, but with the way I'm going I don't see that happening. Only bright side is with everything that's been going on, I haven't gained weight, I'm at the same weight I was before.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know exactly what to do...you just need to do it. So, follow our corporate masters advice and "Just Do It".
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Knowing what is wrong and fixing it are two very different things. It's great you've observed what the issues are and yes, the hardest step is often the first one but you can do it. Don't over think it. Just get to it. One step at a time.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up. You know it doesn't help. Just get out and start with a walk to get your thoughts together and go from there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It seems as if my motivation comes and goes. I have been "off the wagon" for about 2 months now and I feel horrible. I blame some of the lack of motivation on the stress I've had in my life recently, but as a therapist I know the number one way to combat against stress is exercise and I still didn't do it. All I want to do is sleep and even when I wake up I'm tired and don't want to do anything. All I've had to drink is pop, can't even tell you the last time I had water to drink. I don't remember the last time I did anything to lose weight either. Everything I'm eating is fried and salty because that's what I'm craving. I have no idea what to do or where to go from here. I want to get back on track and be at least 10 pounds down before the first of the year, but with the way I'm going I don't see that happening. Only bright side is with everything that's been going on, I haven't gained weight, I'm at the same weight I was before.

if someone told you all the things in this post, and asked what to do, what would you tell them?
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Dont focus on losing 10 pounds it will only bring you further down if you down meet that goal. Your first goal should be to feel better. Sounds like you are eating poorly because of low self esteem and you don't think you deserve to feel better. So start by getting rid of the pop and fried foods. That will make you feel better and less tired just getting rid of those things. If all else fails - talk to your doctor about depression. Good luck - take it one step at a time. Try something today and take it a little farther tomorrow. It's amazing how quickly you can get back on the wagon once you start.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Motivation is nice but it will fade, determination and patience get us through the times we have no motivation.

Without getting into it, I've been a lot more stressed out lately than usual. This is usually my downfall. I react to stress in my life by comforting myself with food and by shutting down and just laying around all day. Every time I've tried to lose weight in the past, this is what has got me every time. And once I "screwed up" and had to "start over" I decided I just couldn't lose weight and would give up completely.

This time I have really tried to just keep my weight loss effort separate from the other situation. Eating bad food will not make the stress go away, losing weight will not help the other situation at all, but being fat wouldn't either. So I might as well keep trying. We can't always control what happens in our life, but we can control the choices we make every day about our diet and weight loss.

If you really want to be healthy, it's going to be for the rest of your life, and even when you're struggling it's going to be a part of your life. You can't let these obstacles take over this part of your life.

I'm still a super fatty, so I just want to say, I'm not trying to spout wisdom like I know everything, I know very little to be honest. But I do know how it feels to constantly beat the **** out of yourself for "failing" and "falling off the wagon". I'm trying to be a lot nicer to myself this time, and I think guilt tripping ourselves is something a lot of people do, and what is a trigger to give up for a lot of us. It makes me sad. :(

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a funny thing. Funnier still is being able to define the problem but hesitating towards the solution.

Just start. Whatever is is: logging, drinking more water, eliminating one fast food meal a day, whatever. Just keep asking yourself when you get hungry, "What can I do right now that will help get me where I want to be?"

One moment at a time.....you can do this!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    this process can be hard. there's a lot of falling off and hopping back on. don't think about this as weight loss, necessarily. you're eating fried foods and drinking soda--that's UNHEALTHY for your insides. clean up the insides and the outside will follow. start eating more veggies, drink water until you're floating. you still can enjoy foods you like, but in MODERATION. instead of making them the sole focus of your diet...

JUST.
    DO.
    IT.
  • EmmalineHarris
    Options
    Boy, have I been there before. It's easy to talk about life-style change, persistence, and determination when you're in the rhythm of diet and exercise, or when you're feeling motivated. But when you're down and out and have the know-how but absolutely no inner drive to follow through...it's hard. Freakin' hard. Whenever I get like that I go into planning mode. I set a date for when I'm going to start trying again. I go shopping for healthy foods and plan meals. I set an exercise schedule. And then when that date comes I'm mentally prepared for it and I get back up...somehow the planning sparks that little bit of motviation. But everyone is different and that might not work for you; like other people have posted, maybe you just need to start small: skip a soda and drink a glass of water, get up and walk around during commercial breaks, have an apple instead of a cookie. Or maybe you're the kind of person who needs to set your mind on your end goal and all the things you'll be able to do and enjoy once you've lost the weight. Just keep trying different things until you find what works for you, no matter how many times you get off track. I've been on a "trial and error" weight loss journey for about 3 years. I'd try something, get discouraged or lose motivation, stop, then try again. Only recently have I started to discover eating and exercise habits that are right for me, that I can stick with.

Whatever you do, don't give up. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like some extra support. I keep a small group of friends and try to check up on each one daily (although this doesn't always happen on the weekends).
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback. I really do love this website for this reason. When you're struggling there are always so many people to give you encouragement and positivity to keep you going.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I know I am a little late to the party but just to add some things:

I have always been a guy to use laughter in any situation, whether I was happy, sad, depressed or anything else in the emotional spectrum. this helped feed the cycle of me not worrying about my body and getting a bit out of control size wise.

I would go to the gym 5 days a week and still eat fast food 4 days and wonder why I wouldnt lose which then led me to eat more horrible food keep the cycle going.

Finally I decided I wanted to play basketball better (having played for the last 20 years in a 30+ old white guy league so you can tell i didnt have to be in too much shape) and i found this app/site through the HR dept at my new job.

once i decided to track everything from weights to calories and saw what horrible things i was putting into my body i knew i had to make a change.

I have always been the "husky" one in the family so thats all anyone has ever expected of me but this time i was determined to make a change.

april 25th i was 296. i am now at 247ish and i have accepted that some weeks i am not going to lose and may even gain. it is just my bodys way of fighting off the curve ball i have thrown it.

i also recognized the signs that would lead me to binge eating and hit them head on. Unfortunately these were put to the test in late september when my mother passed away suddenly. i dont think anyone would have batted an eye if i used that as an excuse to go gulp down a few double whoppers and some fries, but i had made such progress i knew that is all it would take to derail my determination.

i ended up losing 6 lbs over that three week period and if i can keep motivated after that i know there isnt anything that is going to stop me from reaching my goals.

you just have to ask yourself, are you a happy with the way you are.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    First, there's no wagon and there's no finish line. It's just daily choices. Some days are better than others.

In my humble opinion, having eaten a lot of garbage and also having eaten clean, the reason you are craving crappy foods is because that's what you've been eating. Switch to clean eating and if you want, add some other foods back in in small portions after you sort of get it out of your system. I'm not a doctor, but that's what has worked FOR ME. Ditto on the water. I still struggle with drinking water.

Also, just exercise for a month and see how you FEEL. Perhaps don't even look at the scale.

Why not just avoid looking at the scale for a whole month, eat clean, and exercise? Focus on how much better you FEEL and how much more you are able to do physically. Then worry about the scale. If you worry about the scale right away, you may never go far enough to realize some other health benefits. It seems like sometimes our motivation is so tied to the scale that we forget about other things like getting sick less often, lowered blood pressure and resting pulse, better sleep, reduced stress, ability to walk more and enjoy our daily activities, improved flexibility, etc.If the scale's not moving, we throw the baby out with the bathwater and forget all the important benefits of healthy living.
  • tifalva
    Options
    First, there's no wagon and there's no finish line. It's just daily choices. Some days are better than others.

In my humble opinion, having eaten a lot of garbage and also having eaten clean, the reason you are craving crappy foods is because that's what you've been eating. Switch to clean eating and if you want, add some other foods back in in small portions after you sort of get it out of your system. I'm not a doctor, but that's what has worked FOR ME. Ditto on the water. I still struggle with drinking water.

Also, just exercise for a month and see how you FEEL. Perhaps don't even look at the scale.

Why not just avoid looking at the scale for a whole month, eat clean, and exercise? Focus on how much better you FEEL and how much more you are able to do physically. Then worry about the scale. If you worry about the scale right away, you may never go far enough to realize some other health benefits. It seems like sometimes our motivation is so tied to the scale that we forget about other things like getting sick less often, lowered blood pressure and resting pulse, better sleep, reduced stress, ability to walk more and enjoy our daily activities, improved flexibility, etc.If the scale's not moving, we throw the baby out with the bathwater and forget all the important benefits of healthy living.

There is a lot of truth to this statement. I remember how I felt when I was exercising 6 times per week. The energy I had, how happy I was, it was GREAT. The same with eating clean. It was unbelievable how good I felt and how less hungry I was throughout the day because I was eating nutrients and minerals that my body needed.

I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure, wanting to get back into it at this time of year, but I also don't want to be one of those people that makes a resolution at the beginning of the year either. I just have to find the happy medium between my baking and Christmas cookies/food and what I need to do to be healthy, even if that is just starting with increasing my water intake and exercising on a consistent basis, then tackle the food aspect later.
  • 2006s50
    Options
    "I remember how I felt when I was exercising 6 times per week. The energy I had, how happy I was, it was GREAT. The same with eating clean. It was unbelievable how good I felt and how less hungry I was throughout the day because I was eating nutrients and minerals that my body needed."

:smile: Your words above rang like a bell to me . . I had lost 51 pounds last year and have gained 40 pounds over the last 10 months. . I lost sight of my own self some where down the road. . .depression is sneaky and can make you feel like giving up and in to cravings, don't feel at loss. Just try each day to resight the above words you wrote about yourself:smile:

I am trying to get back to where I was last year, may be slow but I will get there! We all are here to help you along the roadway too!

Your worth all things to be happy! Your worth it! :smile: Happiness to you! . .. JM
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7u5onfNlE1rxfgauo1_500.gif
  • tifalva
    Options
    "I remember how I felt when I was exercising 6 times per week. The energy I had, how happy I was, it was GREAT. The same with eating clean. It was unbelievable how good I felt and how less hungry I was throughout the day because I was eating nutrients and minerals that my body needed."

:smile: Your words above rang like a bell to me . . I had lost 51 pounds last year and have gained 40 pounds over the last 10 months. . I lost sight of my own self some where down the road. . .depression is sneaky and can make you feel like giving up and in to cravings, don't feel at loss. Just try each day to resight the above words you wrote about yourself:smile:

I am trying to get back to where I was last year, may be slow but I will get there! We all are here to help you along the roadway too!

Your worth all things to be happy! Your worth it! :smile: Happiness to you! . .. JM

I tell my clients all the time that depression and stress fight dirty within your body. It tackles and beats up the heart and core of who you are, takes no prisoners. I tell them to always stay motivated, keep an eye on your goal and to fight back just as dirty by exercising, eating well, sleeping well and doing something to take care of yourself each day. NOW, if I could take my own advice, we'd be getting somewhere! :laugh:
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going" Jim Ryum.
  • gingermaker219
    gingermaker219 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    everyone giving advice is all well and good, but im in the same place with a feeling of nowhere to go. its beginning to feel like every other year and i'll start again in January! Sounding familiar. Its my last night at work for a week tonight and tomorrow is my start day. I'm getting on those scales, assessing the damage and am going to start and fix it. Want to join me?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    omg quit starting and finish something
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know what you are going through. I had also gone through loss of motivation over the past two months, and mine was because of stress too. School stress was too much and I was drinking soda, stopped logging and stopped exercising. Last week I felt so fat and horrible, and I just told myself ok that's it!! I spent 2 days drinking plenty of water and tried my best to stay away from crappy food, and made sure I was going to bed early so I got enough sleep, and after a couple days, I was ready to start logging my food again and exercising! You CAN get your motivation back, I say put the soda down and pick up a water bottle to start! However you do it, I wish you well. You can do it!