Side Dishes - what's your favorite?

Options

Replies

• DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Any veggie steamed :) Worth investing in a steamer, it's so easy!
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    Baked sweet potato, grilled veggies, asparagus, broccoli. One of my favorite sides..fresh green beans, mushrooms, and onions sauteed in olive oil.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Roast cauliflower.

Break 160g of cauliflower per person into florets. Place 1 tsp of olive oil per person in roasting tin, add cracked black pepper to taste, toss cauliflower to lightly coat. Roast for 30mins (ish) at 200C. It's best with light brown crispy edges. When cooked, season with gomasio.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts sauteed with olive oil, garlic, and a little bit of grated parmesan cheese on top :) yum!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are by far my fave. One of my favorite ways to make them - it's really easy - is to chop up a large sweet potato into one inch cubes (leave the skin on!), throw 'em in a bowl and drizzle the cubes with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Take a spatula or large spoon and stir the cubes up so the oil covers them completely and well. Then season with whatever you like - I like a little paprika and rosemary, but have also made them sweeter by tossing the cubes in hazelnut oil and dashing some cinnamon or even pumpkin pie spice on them. Then stir them up again.

Line a cookie sheet with some non-stick aluminum foil and dump the oiled, seasoned cubes onto the cookie sheet, and cover with another sheet of aluminum foil. Then throw them in the oven for a half hour or so at 400 degrees.

OH MY STARS. Yummy yummy yummy.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    steamed veggies is my go-to
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are by far my fave. One of my favorite ways to make them - it's really easy - is to chop up a large sweet potato into one inch cubes (leave the skin on!), throw 'em in a bowl and drizzle the cubes with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Take a spatula or large spoon and stir the cubes up so the oil covers them completely and well. Then season with whatever you like - I like a little paprika and rosemary, but have also made them sweeter by tossing the cubes in hazelnut oil and dashing some cinnamon or even pumpkin pie spice on them. Then stir them up again.

Line a cookie sheet with some non-stick aluminum foil and dump the oiled, seasoned cubes onto the cookie sheet, and cover with another sheet of aluminum foil. Then throw them in the oven for a half hour or so at 400 degrees.

:love: Sounds amazing! My bf is a sweet potato fiend, but we've never made them like this. He'll love it! Great thread! I was kinda tired of the same old salads, steamed veggies, mashed potatoes, rice, etc., but this thread has reminded me of other wonderous sides to be had. Can't wait to make this and the maple syrup acorn squash... mmmm...
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Big fan of the rice/corn/black beans medley

^^^ this and some Cilantro, walla!:flowerforyou:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

^^^ Dani!!! Every darn time I see your pic I want a darned BURGER!!!!! LOL
  • mizkoukla
    Options
    POTATOES!!!
    POTATOES!

tumblr_medmdclZCF1qehgb5o2_500.gif
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Baked asparagus! I throw it in a big baggie with pepper and teensy bit of olive oil to coat. Then bake it for 25 minutes. And I sprinkle grated parmesan on it before it hits the oven. So good!
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    Pepperidge Farms milano Cookies is both a good side dish and dessert!
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    sauteed veggies and garlic. Any kind really.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mashed with cream cheese or laughing cow cheese.
    -boil cauliflower until tender [or beyond tender]
    -mash
    -add cheese for creamy goodness!

Mashed potatoes mixed with mashed celeriac. A very yummy combo!
    -boil both the potatoes and celeriac
    -add salt, pepper, milk [or cream], and butter
    -mash 'til your heart's content and enjoy!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options

yummmm, going to make some tonight!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    FJAD865FBVHEBAV.gif
  • samigirl25
    Options
    I like green beans with a little cajun seasoning (tony chacheries) or steamed broccoli with soy sauce. Yum Yum!!!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is one of my current favorites: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mediterranean_roasted_broccoli_tomatoes.html
    I omit olives and capers personally, though.

I also have salads quite a bit (right now - mixed greens, grape tomatoes, a little feta, and some pear vinaigrette)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Well, burgers are awesome ;)
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Well, burgers are awesome ;)

Indeed!!! :)