Deadlifts Question/Advice

Options
13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

its best to just listen to the men talking

YOOVIE! This is funny and all but let's all dial it back to 6 or 7. Jof IS worthy of your derision, but in this case he was actually trying to be helpful (you can tell because he hasn't corrected anyone's grammar). I also read your post as 3 rep max, so it's just a communication issue. No one here (well, at least not me and Jof) are doubting your bona fides. We know better.

Let's hug it out. At my place. Tonight around 10ish. Bring wine.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i was talking to a girl, if I was talking to a man would have made sure to specify NOT MAX because thats what yall want to run up to a machine or barbell and do. Girls usually like to start out where they are comfortable and since I was talking to a girl and not some big hulking lifter with some experience, I worded it the way I did for her.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    i was talking to a girl, if I was talking to a man would have made sure to specify NOT MAX because thats what yall want to run up to a machine or barbell and do. Girls usually like to start out where they are comfortable and since I was talking to a girl and not some big hulking lifter with some experience, I worded it the way I did for her.

irrelevant

a beginner to all this is still a beginner

man or woman
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was away from this thread for a while...(that Apple gift card thread is mesmerizing).

So anyhow, back to this thread. Huh? This thread went a little off the rails too. I was just trying to clarify what I thought could be easily misinterpreted, especially by someone new. I certainly meant no disrespect and would not suggest that anyone listen to me about a particular subject based on our genitalia.

And for that matter, look at my profile pic. Does that really look like someone who should play a "listen to my lifting advice because I'm a man" card? Based on what, my incredibly manly physique?? (Besides, Yoovie, you probably lift more than I do.)

So anyhow, it looks like everything is smoothed over. Glad we're all back to being besties again.

:flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    Options

irrelevant

man or woman

FALSE

you didnt even freaking read what I just said.

I didnt say I gave her female lifting advice, I said I worded something because my audience was a female.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

irrelevant

man or woman

FALSE

I didnt say I gave her female lifting advice, I said I worded something because my audience was a female.

uhhh...settle down...I did read it

the thread is about deadlifting advice

for a beginner...man or woman...audience or whatever...it is the same

you dont start by establishing a 3 rep mark

you start by getting your form correct
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said start light, get your form right, then add more weight as you get stronger.
    There are tons of videos to help you with form on www.bodybuilding.com.
    Good luck!
  • yoovie
    Options

irrelevant

man or woman

FALSE

ITS ****ING NOT THE SAME

You talk to men and women differently, you take your audience into consideration as best as you can so your advice will be more easily taken in. You dont just throw the same copy paste wall of text in every person's face like they are all one stupid kind of ignorant.

She posted a quick, short and sweet question and I responded in kind without telling her to find her max or anything like that.

I responded to short and sweet with short and sweet and a bunch of people I wasnt even talking to got it wrong and made out like Im trying to get someone hurt.

Yeah - cause that's totally my intention when I come across girls who want to lift OBVIOUSLY.

Please feel free to put me on ignore and you wont have to deal with my careless dangerous advice anymore.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    figure out what you can lift 3 times. Then plug that number into this: strstd.com and have it calculate your workouts - make sure to unclick the 90% box.

That sets up a 5/3/1 program. That's great advice for the intermediate or advanced lifter. But the beginner/novice would get much more mileage out of Starting Strength of StrongLifts.

Also, why uncheck the 90%? That's part of the secret sauce of the program. It should not even be an option to "uncheck" that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

irrelevant

man or woman

FALSE

ITS ****ING NOT THE SAME

You talk to men and women differently, you take your audience into consideration as best as you can so your advice will be more easily taken in. You dont just throw the same copy paste wall of text in every person's face like they are all one stupid kind of ignorant.

She posted a quick, short and sweet question and I responded in kind without telling her to find her max or anything like that.

I responded to short and sweet with short and sweet and a bunch of people I wasnt even talking to got it wrong and made out like Im trying to get someone hurt.

Yeah - cause that's totally my intention when I come across girls who want to lift OBVIOUSLY.

Please feel free to put me on ignore and you wont have to deal with my careless dangerous advice anymore.

now you are just being irrational and totally over reacting

no one said you intentionally wanted to hurt someone

take a friggin chill pill and just admit the post you started all this drama with was worded incorrectly

or not
  • DavPul
    Options
    Sorry, I was away from this thread for a while...(that Apple gift card thread is mesmerizing).

So anyhow, back to this thread. Huh? This thread went a little off the rails too. I was just trying to clarify what I thought could be easily misinterpreted, especially by someone new. I certainly meant no disrespect and would not suggest that anyone listen to me about a particular subject based on our genitalia.

And for that matter, look at my profile pic. Does that really look like someone who should play a "listen to my lifting advice because I'm a man" card? Based on what, my incredibly manly physique?? (Besides, Yoovie, you probably lift more than I do.)

So anyhow, it looks like everything is smoothed over. Glad we're all back to being besties again.

What do you mean, she can "probably" lift more than you do? Apology NOT accepted! I came here to see a fight, so let's go! I got a hundo on Yoovie.

Ummm....no offense Jof. Just trying to be smart with my money
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    ***getting the popcorn***
    :smokin:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

What do you mean, she can "probably" lift more than you do? Apology NOT accepted! I came here to see a fight, so let's go! I got a hundo on Yoovie.

Ummm....no offense Jof. Just trying to be smart with my money

(No offense taken. Based on my profile pics, you'd have no reason to know that I'm a badass fighter from the sticks.)

(Hey, people who know me in real life, shut up! You'll ruin my internet tough guy reputation.)
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just started deadlifts this week and I used just the bar for the first time. I also had to use the rack and had it set as low as I could (but it's probably too high for effective deadlifts...?) Anyways, The next day, I did feel some slight muscle soreness in my lower back. Nothing painful, and it went away throughout the day, just enough for me to 'feel' the muscles I had used. So I would say, just start with the bar (45lbs) and work your way up! Why risk injury?
    I also watched LOTS of videos on technique, and actually practiced the technique at home without weights in front of a mirror.
    Good luck to you!
  • DavPul
    Options

irrelevant

man or woman

FALSE

ITS ****ING NOT THE SAME

now you are just being irrational and totally over reacting

no one said you intentionally wanted to hurt someone

take a friggin chill pill and just admit the post you started all this drama with was worded incorrectly

or not

Stand down man, stand down. This has been asked and answered already. I was having fun with Jof, but you are getting a serious and *kitten*. You can't tell her to take a chill pill without you swallowing one first.

Let's go back to answering questions for people that have them. Or troll each other in a different thread. Our work here is done.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! Here's how I learned DLs as a complete and total newbie and it worked really well.

1. Read the Deadlift chapter in Starting Strength and watch lots of videos

2. Practice form with light dumbbells until comfortable

3. Prop an empty barbell on a rack or blocks so it is about the same height as it would be if you were using 45lb plates. Practice form until comfortable. Try different grips until comfortable.

4. Add 10lb bumper plates that are the same diameter as 45lb plates. Then, as you progress, keep adding additional weight plates (2.5, then 5, then 10, etc) on with the 10lb plates until you are up to the 45lb plates. Then keep adding and adding weight!! :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Hi! Here's how I learned DLs as a complete and total newbie and it worked really well.

1. Read the Deadlift chapter in Starting Strength and watch lots of videos

2. Practice form with light dumbbells until comfortable

3. Prop an empty barbell on a rack or blocks so it is about the same height as it would be if you were using 45lb plates. Practice form until comfortable. Try different grips until comfortable.

4. Add 10lb bumper plates that are the same diameter as 45lb plates. Then, as you progress, keep adding additional weight plates (2.5, then 5, then 10, etc) on with the 10lb plates until you are up to the 45lb plates. Then keep adding and adding weight!! :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!

this
  • seedawg23
    seedawg23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a question also...I want to incorporate dead lifting into my weight training. Currently I divide my lifting into 3 days: push muscles (chest, triceps, shoulders), pull muscles (back and biceps) and legs and abs. Which one of those days should I add dead lifts? I know it's a compound movement but I'm not sure where to put it.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    RE Starting Weight: First watch videos on how to do a correct conventional deadlift. Then just start with the bar, you may have to stack some plates to get it at the correct height for you but ease into it. Starting with the bar will give you practice on the form as your ramp up in weight session-to-session. Something like the basic StrongLifts5x5 would be a good idea. Yes, at this point don't use a certain max range be it, 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1. The weight will come quickly, just need practice. Later on you can move onto something like 5/3/1 or Westside for Skinny *kitten*.

RE Romanian Deadlifts: Great exercise but not the same. This exercise is best for bringing-up the posterior chain as an assistance exercise to DL's and Squats.
    I have a question also...I want to incorporate dead lifting into my weight training. Currently I divide my lifting into 3 days: push muscles (chest, triceps, shoulders), pull muscles (back and biceps) and legs and abs. Which one of those days should I add dead lifts? I know it's a compound movement but I'm not sure where to put it.

Deadlifting is primarily a pulling exercise though some trainers do consider it a press because of the pressure placed against the floor with your legs. There's many ways to split it.

ex1. Upper primary w/ 1 lower = OHP, Bench, Squat | Upper primary w1/lower = OHP, Bench, DL | Lower Primary w/ 1 upper = Squat, DL, OHP | Lower Primary w/ 1 upper = Squat, DL, Bench (assistance work for triceps, biceps, hammies, etc as desired)

ex2. Upper / Lower splits

ex3. Full body. Day 1 = squat, bench, row or cleans / Day 2 = squat, ohp, dl / Day 3 = squat, bench, row or cleans

ex4. Push/Pull: Pull Day may = Deadlift, Rows, Chin-ups, Curls, Romanian DL's / Push... Squat, Bench, OHP, Dips

There are many ways to approach lifting, just find something that fits your goals and time allotment.