A friend gave me Quinoa...any suggestions as a recipe???

Options

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    look up quinoa mac and cheese. its soooo goood!
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the texture of it .. BUT .. I had a meatloaf made with it that was amazing! This is the recipe they used - http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/quinoa-loaf-mushrooms-and-peas .. but you can google it and find one that you would like. Sparkpeople.com has a few also..
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    A link to a few quinoa recipes: http://www.fitfoodiefinds.com/2012/08/10-healthy-quinoa-recipes.html

Also, I made this soup recently and substituted quinoa for the wild rice -- it was delicious(!!), and one serving of the soup I made has 15 g protein :). http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2009/11/creamy-wild-rice-turkey-soup.html
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    me too I live it with mangos
  • LilacDaffodil
    LilacDaffodil Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    loads of recipes here: http://www.cookingquinoa.net/
  • HippieMomma86
    HippieMomma86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with avocados. 1.5c water to a boil, add 1c quinoa, simmer 15 mins. I cut up half an avocado and mix it in, then add pepper, chili powder, cayenne. and garlic powder. It's delicious!!
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump, would love to start using quinoa!
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it very well in a fine mesh strainer before cooking it, it has a bitter coating. Cook 1 cup rinsed quinoa to 2 cups water, bring to boil in a medium saucepan and then reduce heat to med-low until all the water's gone. It's great as a cold salad with whatever chopped vegetables/proteins you prefer, may favourite combination is to mix it with a diced red pepper and crumbled goat cheese.

I didn't know you needed to rinse it the first time I cook Quinoa and it was really not good.. rinse well. I cook mine like I would cook pasta, 1 cup of Quinoa with lots of water strain after 15 minutes, let sit with cover on for another 5 minutes. That way it doesn't stick to the bottom.

you don't have to rinse it. It just depends on what you decide. I live gluten free and eat Quinoa all the time. I never rinse it!!! :)

BTW there is a thread on here somewhere that has TOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS of recipes. I am sure if you searched you could find it!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend!

But I've also found some good recipes here: http://www.101cookbooks.com/main_courses/
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i think u can use it the same as rice. so...whatever u do to rice...do to quinoa.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it very well in a fine mesh strainer before cooking it, it has a bitter coating.

I didn't know the first time I had it and it really turned me off of it for a while!!! so make sure you rinse rinse!! (I personnally also soak it in cold water for a minute or two). Some come already pre-rinsed.

I like to cook it in broth veggie or chicken instead of water if I'm going to have it as a salad I add olives, artichokes, heart of palm, other veggies and greek spices.

I've also used it instead of rice in a jambalaya it was delicious!!
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump! Can't wait to try Quinoa... but no idea what to do with it...
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Try this website: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/
    I love quinoa. I usually have it with sauteed vegetables (courgette, onion, aubergine, pepper and tomato etc) and have grilled halloumi cheese on top. I use it as a alternative to rice or couscous so you can have it with any recipe that requires either of those two.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Shrimp fried rice only. . .shrimp fried quinoa.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have some at home but wasn't sure what to do with it. Great ideas here to try.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My family likes it cooked with chicken broth as an alternative to rice...it's got a lot more protein and is super yummy

Yep - this, and I add (heated/drained) frozen mixed veggies after cooking it up. Delish & very easy to make!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you follow the directions on the bag and wash it well if it says to. Trust me. I still haven't been brave enough to try it again since my first try.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse it very well in a fine mesh strainer before cooking it, it has a bitter coating. Cook 1 cup rinsed quinoa to 2 cups water, bring to boil in a medium saucepan and then reduce heat to med-low until all the water's gone. It's great as a cold salad with whatever chopped vegetables/proteins you prefer, may favourite combination is to mix it with a diced red pepper and crumbled goat cheese.

I didn't know you needed to rinse it the first time I cook Quinoa and it was really not good.. rinse well. I cook mine like I would cook pasta, 1 cup of Quinoa with lots of water strain after 15 minutes, let sit with cover on for another 5 minutes. That way it doesn't stick to the bottom.

you don't have to rinse it. It just depends on what you decide. I live gluten free and eat Quinoa all the time. I never rinse it!!! :)

BTW there is a thread on here somewhere that has TOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS of recipes. I am sure if you searched you could find it!

Really? See my recent post. I didn't wash mine and I had a very, very bad reaction. ETA: Actually I rinsed it, but not at all thoroughly.
  • fitnessforjudy
    fitnessforjudy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried Quinoa for the first time at a cooking school class. As we were rushed to make it, it did not turn out too well. It was runny; too much water and chicken stock, it did not have a good flavor; it did not look good to eat. When I try it again I will rinse it like suggested and take more time to saute veggies and add only the veggies that I like to eat; squash was not one of them. Thanks for all the good ideas on how to prepare it. Good question as this seems to be the new healthier rice.:love: