is it possible..

Options
is it possible to stay at a weight for years by only eating healthy and not exercising? my best friend is 290 pounds (i'm 140) and she eats everything I do in a day with the exception of a few things here and there. I eat around 1800 calories a day.. she might get to 2000 once in a GREAT while, but for the most part, stays around what I eat. She hasn't went up or down in the past 3 years. The difference is I go to the gym and she doesn't. I am trying to prove to her that if she just exercises, she doesnt even need to change the way she eats, she will lose the weight. she doesnt believe me.

Replies

• zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    energy balance.

calories in - calories out
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes because she'll be burning more than she is now.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    How do you know that she eats like you every single day?
  • laurageist
    Options
    I would say it is absolutely possible. I had been the same weight (within 5 pounds either direction) for over 15 years. I am just beginning an exercise routine, and I have not changed my food intake dramatically since starting MFP. I think I am actually eating more now than I used to eat. I am fairly certain it is the increased physical activity that is leading to my weight loss.
  • Bullittgal
    Options
    You are correct. It's simple physics: when more calories are burned than consumed, you will lose weight. A 3500 calorie per week deficit (burning 500 calories a day more than you consume) will result in losing 1 pound per week. A 7000 calorie per week deficit, two pounds per week. At a diet averaging 1800 calories per day, your friend is probably coasting on her basal metabolic rate and whatever daily activities she normally pursues. If she were to work out a couple of times or more per week, she would up her calories expended and lose weight without changing her diet.
  • SomebodyStopMe
    Options
    How do you know that she eats like you every single day?

we live together.. we cook together. go to school together.. we are with each other all the time. i guess there are times she isnt around me, but its pretty rare. so unless she binge eats when i sleep, or when she is in the bathroom... i know what she eats. she asked me a few years ago to help her lose weight (she started at 315) because she thought she was eating wrong, so its become our way of life, i guess you could say.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Well if she's maintaining at what she's eating now and she creates a deficit through exercise then yes weight loss is possible - cals in vs cals out.

But how do you know how much she really eats? A girl over 200lbs maintaining at 2000 calories seems highly unlikely, unless she has some kind of medical problem.

Edit: If you really want accuracy on the amount she eats, I suggest she try counting her cals one day.
  • SomebodyStopMe
    Options
    You are correct. It's simple physics: when more calories are burned than consumed, you will lose weight. A 3500 calorie per week deficit (burning 500 calories a day more than you consume) will result in losing 1 pound per week. A 7000 calorie per week deficit, two pounds per week. At a diet averaging 1800 calories per day, your friend is probably coasting on her basal metabolic rate and whatever daily activities she normally pursues. If she were to work out a couple of times or more per week, she would up her calories expended and lose weight without changing her diet.

This is what I was searching for! Thank you!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Sure, I can eat a lot more when I exercise.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Exercise certainly isn't going to hurt :) It'll create more of a calorie deficit if she continues to eat the same.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's 80% what you put in your mouth...