Cold weather running & covering your face?

Options
Okay - so I have posted about this before, but after I run I sometimes have horrible, horrible allergy fits that last all day. Uncontrollable sneezing and congestion. It's awful! I have been tracking when it happens and it looks like it is temperature related - cold weather runs lead to the worst fits, cool weather is hit or miss, and hot weather or indoor runs don't cause them at all.

I love running but this is just...awful. It's like getting 24 hour colds 3-4 times a week. And I have all of winter ahead of me!

The thing is, I otherwise strongly prefer cold weather running. I get overheated really easily - in 20 degree weather today I was totally comfortable with just a long sleeve compression shirt and light wind-breaker jacket - and had to open the jacket 2 miles in.

I'm thinking maybe the cold is doing bad things to my sinuses while running, so I was thinking a scarf that covered my nose might be the best solution I can come up with. The thing is, I'm not sure how to make this compatible with running so I both don't overheat and so that it doesn't like...I don't know, cause facial chafing? Anyone else in the same boat or have some valuable bit of advice to offer? I love running and hate the treadmill if I can help it but man...I am not looking forward to spending the entire winter with a pseudo-cold.

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Not sure but a fellow runner was having coughing fits after running once it got cold and the dr told her she has cold indused asthma. Might be worth looking into.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    they're not attractive, but perhaps you might look into wearing a balaclava while running outdoors in cold weather.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i'm with you on hating the treadmill!! i've yet to make it outside to run in very cold weather yet because i'm afraid of getting sick also!! I also get Super overheated when running so i can relate....hoping some of the more experienced runners on here can help you (us) figure it out...good luck! :smile:
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try covering your nose and mouth with something light, like the sleeve cut off a t-shirt.
  • stitchinhippie
    Options
    I get bad chest pain and asthma symptoms when I run in the cold weather. I usually end up either running with my face covered with a scarf or I walk instead of run. I would look for a lighter-weight scarf. My mom made me a neck wrap out of a light yarn that I pull up to cover my nose and mouth. They sell something similar in the store. These are nice because they don't flop around or come undone while you are running. If all else fails...do some sort of exercise inside when it is too cold. I know, I don't like it either...I prefer to be outside as well. :(
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer to run in the cold. I don't have any problems with coughing. My facial skin is a little cold/wind burned sometimes, but I just use a good moisturizer and I'm fine.

But, you could invest in a balaclava:

http://www.amazon.com/Schampa-WarmSkin-Balaclava-Black-Size/dp/B005345DBY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354739367&sr=8-6&keywords=balaclava

This is just one example. Under Armour makes them too. You can probably get one at a sporting goods store. I don't use one, but might when the temps start dropping below 20 degrees (right now, it's usually 30-40 degrees when I run).

Also, maybe invest in some base layers? I have the cheap version of the Under Armour Cold Gear (got mine at Target!) and it's great. I don't get overheated and the driweave wicks away some moisture.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but have you tried taking an allergy med before you head out? I get a really runny nose, so when I'm going to hit the trail for a long run, I'll take a Sudafed to ward off having my sinuses completely blocked by the middle of the run. The last 3 races I've done (half, 15K & a 5k) were all pretty chilly and I noticed I coughed for a good portion of the day afterward. But, it usually goes away by the next morning.

If simple solutions don't work, try checking with your doctor.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I am looking into a balaclava now - I have never heard that word before actually, my first thought was those little greek pastries haha! I've seen them before though, just didn't know what they were called. They look warm but they also look like they'll stay in place to keep my nose covered. Worth considering. -window shops-

Actually I didn't think of taking allergy meds before a run...that's an interesting idea.

It being exercise-induced asthma didn't cross my mind...my breathing is fine, it's just my sinuses going haywire. Interesting though, if I can't solve it with some kind of gear I will definitely mention the possibiity to my GP.

I do have baselayers and actually was wearing one today - just my UA compression shirt and a light wind jacket in 20 degrees. I felt fine - other than my nose!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I would try the scarf. If you want to try other options, neck gaiters come in a variety of fabrics, and you can pull them up over your nose and mouth. Running on 10 degree, windy days in Ohio, I wore a ski mask. If you don't mind covering your whole head, you can look at balaclavas and ski masks. Happy winter running!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think what you want is a light weight neck gaiter that you can pull over your mouth and nose. I have one I used alot when I first started running. I am much more used to breathing in cold air now, but I am sure I will break it out again when then temp dip lower.

Something like this: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-ATLTNG.html
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    i would suggest a running buff. They make some out of very light weight materials so hopefully you wont over heat and they can also double as a scarf or hat before/after your run.

examples: http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/filter/running

or

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-seasonal-accessories/Brisk-Run-Neck-Warmer

or

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-640552/pgid-640553&cp=USNS_KW_091212_GPLA

They sell them at most sports or running stores and sometimes even give them out at races (I have received 2 freebies that I adore)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Now a neck gaiter looks like exactly what I had pictured. Thank you, both of you!
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of these:
    http://www.buffwear.com/

They're really lightweight and can be worn several different ways.

If I run in cold weather I sound like a chainsmoker afterward, the coughing and wheezing are so bad. I usually run the first mile with my nose and mouth covered, and as I heat up I pull down the buff and leave it around my neck.
  • gm678560
    gm678560 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Under Armour actually makes a shirt with a built in scarf sort of thing for cold weather running. It just pulls up over your face.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem you have. Cold weather running will occaisionally cause me to have an asthama attack....after I'm done. And yes, the baclava solves the problem...even when it freezes to your face. The one I have is Pearl Izumi, but I'm sure they're all the same function.