Egg whites

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Okay, so I usually have an egg and an egg white for breakfast a few times a week...and I feel bad throwing the rest of the egg away! :laugh:

The cartons of egg whites, are any of them good? I tried one years ago, I don't remember which brand, but I was NOT a fan. But then again, I did not really eat healthy then, and would probably like them now.

Also, is it okay to have eggs for breakfast about 3-4 out of 7 days a week? I know they're full of protein, but from a cholesterol (or any other) standpoint, is it bad?

Replies

• jlevantmusic
    Options
    an egg and an egg white about 3 times out the week is not bad at all if you keep a workout routine on those same days that will allow you to use the nutrients you are getting from them
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I use a product called All Whites. I like it because the ingredient list is one item long: egg whites. They must be pasteurized or something though because they claim you can just toss them in a shake to add protein. I don't think that would be recommended for regular eggs.

As for the cholesterol, I don't know for sure. I think opinions differ, but I am of the opinion that a lot of cholesterol issues are due more to all the processed trans fat crud that is in the typical American diet these days and NOT because someone eats a few eggs a week. Just my thinking.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol in eggs does not raise blood cholesterol. Saturated fat raised blood cholesterol. I eat 35 egg whites/week =)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol in eggs does not raise blood cholesterol. Saturated fat raised blood cholesterol. I eat 35 egg whites/week =)

There's no cholesterol in the whites anyway. :wink:

But yeah, I agree. Eat a wide variety whole, natural foods. Keep the saturated fat under control and I think you should be okay.
  • toots99
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks for the advice!
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hey Toots!

I feel bad too! Must be that old school mentality about the starving kids in Ethiopia our parents INSTILLED in us, along with those poor eating habits! :tongue:

But I've recently changed my perspective about tossing food. Here's my new school of thought: whether I eat it or not, the kids in poor countries are still going to be hungry. However, if I eat it, I'm also making myself poor-healthwise, mentally, physically. Why do that to myself?

If you really feel bad, make a small contribution to a hunger network to make up for your guilt!

PS. I dont like those egg white products either...
  • toots99
    Options
    Hey Toots!

I feel bad too! Must be that old school mentality about the starving kids in Ethiopia our parents INSTILLED in us, along with those poor eating habits! :tongue:

But I've recently changed my perspective about tossing food. Here's my new school of thought: whether I eat it or not, the kids in poor countries are still going to be hungry. However, if I eat it, I'm also making myself poor-healthwise, mentally, physically. Why do that to myself?

If you really feel bad, make a small contribution to a hunger network to make up for your guilt!

PS. I dont like those egg white products either...

Very good point!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites every morning. I buy a case of eggs from walmart every other week (5 dozen). I have a compost bin in my back yard and I compost the yolks. My eggs come in a cardboard box that can be recycled. I am not harming the environment, My yolks are not being "wasted" - they're feeding the soil for my garden. I'm pretty sure that the chickens don't mind.
  • toots99
    Options
    :laugh: I just replied to your post in the other thread about this.

I said: I just posted this same exact thing yesterday, saying I felt bad throwing away the yolks...I just feel bad throwing any food away. I thought about switching to cartons of whites, but I figured it wouldn't be as cost effective, and the boxes aren't going to be recycled. So throwing away the yolk was the lesser evil.

And also, I researched what you can do with them, and you can use it on your hair as a deep conditioner. :laugh:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I too was pitching the egg yolks (two out of three for my omelette). I noticed my dog looking at me one day as I was cracking eggs, and the light went off. I now throw the yolks in a bowl add water, wisk, microwave, and the dog gets breakfast too. :glasses:
  • toots99
    Options
    Interesting...I didn't know eggs were good for dogs.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know that either, but don't tell the dog. He gets upset when he hears that kind of stuff. :tongue: