Is it bad that I weigh myself everyday?

Options
13»

Replies

• pinky_pie
    Options
    I become too frustrated because my body retains water like nobody's business and my weight fluctuates just too damn much to weigh daily. It would be sabotage for me. So no, I don't weigh daily - I weigh every Monday morning.

But that's just me. Do what is right for you, and if weighing daily is a positive experience for you then why the hell not?
  • Julesoola
    Julesoola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on how you process the daily information from the scale. I weigh everyday, actually at the beginning and end of everyday. But, I do this to learn patterns of how my body reacts to things like water, sodium, etc. Learning how my body weight fluctuates and why it fluctuates keeps me from being shocked when it happens. It's to a point now where I can pretty much predict what the scale will say before i step on it most days and if there's a surprise I can generally figure out why by looking at my diary and move on without any major disappointment or discouragement.
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    When I first started, I was 341 so I could not weigh at home. I only got to the doctor's office when time permitted.

As soon as I dropped 12 pounds, it was my new toy! But it quickly became my nemesis. It can seriously change a pound, or two, or five depending on how much sodium I'd consumed, whether my body needed fiber and whether I had consumed enough water.

Now I still weigh daily but take it with a grain of salt, especially if I've HAD salt! And when the scale "lies" and says I've gained, I struggle with whether to log it. I have finally decided I must log every weight, high or low. It helps me see patterns.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Meh it's how you respond to the changes that make the time in between weighs positive or negative so go for it and stop if it starts to affect your mood or the way you work out negatively.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's fine to weigh yourself daily so long as you're not being obsessive about it. Look at the results as a guide on how to eat that day. Understand that there will be fluctuations based on diet and physical conditions.

Weigh yourself under the same conditions each time on the same scale. Find a way to estimate your body fat percentage as well.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there's a right or wrong on how much you weigh yourself, be it daily or weekly. Do what you're comfortable with. I believe most places tell you to weigh yourself once a week due to people playing into "Oh wow look I lost 2 lbs from yesterday" or "Oh no I gained 2 lbs from yesterday" and soon that person is doing too much one way or too much the other way. Do whatever works for you, that's my thought.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday.... It keeps me motivated =)
  • smileMOR
    Options
    id say so because results are not instant they take time the more you weigh yourself the more frustrated you can become by not dropping a pound every time

^^true.
    BUT everyones different.
    for some people it keeps them motivated.
    others, it just well....makes them simply hate life. ha
  • clausner
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself daily. If you start to plateau and you're being really careful, you'll get discouraged and quit, telling yourself what's the point in being good when I'm not losing. Might as well eat what I want and enjoy myself.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    As long as it provides motivation and not despair, i say it doesn't matter how often you weigh in. It's the people that get all distraught over the slightest uptick in their weight that should not weigh in as frequently.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No, I weigh in daily. I only record the weight if there is a steady loss. I don't record the weight if it goes up a bit more from the norm.. it's like a science experiment.

^^This a very interesting science experiment!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I do...but I am a little obsessive. However, you can't let your self freak out if your weight jumps up occasionally- because it might. You also have to make sure you weigh at the same time. I also don't log ann weight gain. Keeps me a little less crazy.

If you are trying to maintain, they tell you to weigh every day at first so you don't miss weight gain. If you gain more than two pounds (that stick), you need to go back into weight loss mode. I assume after a while of not gaining you wouldn't need to weigh so often. When I get pregnant I plan on weighing every day so I don't go crazy and eat for two.
  • KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day at the same time of day, which for me happens to be first thing in the morning. I feel that is the best way to really know what I weigh. If you weigh at the end of the day, some of the food you have eaten during the day can easily affect what your scale says. By weighing in the morning, nine or more hours have passed since I last ate any food and most if not all of it has probably been digested.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, I understand fluctuations and I don't sabotage my efforts with my frequent weighing. If you are the same way, then it is not bad to weigh yourself every day. If you find yourself freaking out over the littlest tenth of a pound, or don't know what water weight is, or become a little too obsessed, then cut back on the weighing.
  • It's a psychological thing, in my opinion. I weigh myself everyday (as soon as I wake up) and take it with a grain of salt... it's good for me as an over-anxious, statistically-minded person to know exactly what I weighed that morning.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how it affects you. I tend to get discouraged and tempted to quit when I have a gain, so I weigh less often. If it doesn't affect you negatively, then there's not harm in it.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    if you want to weigh yourself every day, weigh yourself every day. i do. i love the feeling when the scale drops a little notch further

as long as you know to take the results with a grain of salt, i don't see the harm. if you find yourself feeling like a failure when your weight fluctuates, it's time to step back and reassess your weigh-in frequency, but if it's motivating you, why not?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No, I weigh in daily. I only record the weight if there is a steady loss. I don't record the weight if it goes up a bit more from the norm.. it's like a science experiment.

^^This a very interesting science experiment!
    I like to think so. It's working for me. I've basically eaten the same since February, so I haven't dealt with any of the 5lb swings in my weight. It's still going down, albeit slower at this point (I think I must be nearing the end), so I don't stress about it. I've been hovering around the same weight now for almost a month. Not losing weight, but losing fat. I go back and look at the week previous to a whoosh and see if there were any signs that pointed toward the loss.

As far as weighing daily, it's a good habit for me. The fact that I had tons of bad habits before is why I'm keeping this particular good habit going. It's a motivation as long as the fine points are understood. There will be occasional water retention / weight fluctuations... but MFP keeps all of the info on easy to see graphs over 1, 2, and 3 months time frames.. so it's all good.

If the weight tomorrow is higher by .5 lb, so what. If I can't get to my scale, my world isn't going to end.

just my .02.