1200 calories feels too little

Options

Replies

• Vig83
    Vig83 Posts: 10
    Options
    Women should have in the neighborhood of 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day. If you workout it's closer to 1,500. Working out really helps. Running makes you thinner, but your body needs energy when you workout hard.

The saying is you need to eat to lose weight.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Open your diary for better advice.

I am sorry but you sound like a man trying to sound like a girl but really making fun of females on 1,200. How can you even think of doing dance classes and jumping rope if you can't do stairs this all sounds strange to me? And eating junk food with no movement and be only 114 none of this makes sense.:huh:

But if you are for real eat 1,500 and lift weights and good luck with ballet.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! I can't even begin to imagine my life on 800 calories, I don't think I would have the will power to stick to that, so I am very impressed!!

I wouldn't be impressed by someone who is starving themselves. Be impressed by those who lose weight the healthy way, not those who go to extremes and harm their bodies w/crash diets and unsafe eating habits.
  • lesliemojo
    Options
    I don't starve myself, I just have a difficult time eating 1,200 calories. I try everyday. The only day that it is easy is when I go to a restaurant. It's a horrible cycle of doing emotional binge eating & then feeling guilty and eating nothing. I've been doing that since I was a teenager. I have finally reached a point where I no longer binge so I am working on eating more.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Suffer for beauty!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and eat 1600-1700 calories a day. I just started lifting two weeks ago and I feel awesome. You're going to have to build some muscle and eat more. Especially if you're going to be dancing.
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and weigh 120... I can't even imagine weighing 95 pounds. At that point you would look like a 12 year old again... But if that's what you want then that's your thing! I agree with the previous statements though.. you should be lifting and if you want to feel healthy ditch the cigarettes.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! I can't even begin to imagine my life on 800 calories, I don't think I would have the will power to stick to that, so I am very impressed!!

You should NOT be impressed.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Honestly? In my opinion, you need to start MOVING. 25 yrs old and cannot climb a flight of stairs is concerning. Very concerning.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    your main concern should be the fact that you want to lose 15-20 pounds, not that 1200 isnt enough.

you're probably skinny fat.
    eat at maintenance or JUST below and lift heavy weights.

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Whoa - she has been on here for less than a week. Where do you get the idea she is skinny fat? I know her weight is quite low but it is well within a healthy range and that is a bit of an assumption to make.

I agree that 1,200 is not enough.

OP: eat at a slight calorie deficit (200 - 300) and strength train. You do not really need to do cardio unless you want to
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My son is 5'2" and weighs 96 pounds.

Of course he is also 12 years old.
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    You want to weigh 95 pounds? The fact you think you need to lose 20 pounds is concerning and it sounds like you could have body distortion disorder, which can pretty serious. However if you are really talking about wanting to be healthy and toning up to improve you shape, that can be done without losing weight. I think the best thing to do is talk to a doctor. Wish you all the best!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Women should have in the neighborhood of 1,300 to 1,500 calories a day. If you workout it's closer to 1,500. Working out really helps. Running makes you thinner, but your body needs energy when you workout hard.

The saying is you need to eat to lose weight.
    Not sure where you're getting these numbers. I'm short and lost almost all my weight on 1650 cals pre exercise, upwards of 2k with exercise. Now I'm getting close to maintenance and at around 2000 pre-exercise. I don't have a particularly high metabolism or active lifestyle either- I have a desk job and thyroid disease. I have many successful women on my FL eating in the same general range. I would be starving with 1300-1500 cals.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I don't starve myself, I just have a difficult time eating 1,200 calories. I try everyday. The only day that it is easy is when I go to a restaurant. It's a horrible cycle of doing emotional binge eating & then feeling guilty and eating nothing. I've been doing that since I was a teenager. I have finally reached a point where I no longer binge so I am working on eating more.

a difficult time eating 1200?
    seriously?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    your main concern should be the fact that you want to lose 15-20 pounds, not that 1200 isnt enough.

I'm not sure you understand what skinny fat means. It is a condition where a person is within a healthy weight (or underweight) but with a disproportionally high body fat percentage. OP has said nothing to suggest that she has an abnormally high body fat percentage. Frankly, it's kind of insulting that you would suggest that there's an issue with her physique that she hasn't indicated is at all true.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

I'm not sure you understand what skinny fat means. It is a condition where a person is within a healthy weight (or underweight) but with a disproportionally high body fat percentage. OP has said nothing to suggest that she has an abnormally high body fat percentage. Frankly, it's kind of insulting that you would suggest that there's an issue with her physique that she hasn't indicated is at all true.

Well from OP's desired weight loss, even being at the weight she is now, they probably assumed she didn't like how she looked, and "skinny fat" can be a likely possibility. Call it a guess. Because honestly, when you're that short and at that weight, you shouldn't be wanting to lose 20 pounds.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Well from OP's desired weight loss, even being at the weight she is now, they probably assumed she didn't like how she looked, and "skinny fat" can be a likely possibility. Call it a guess. Because honestly, when you're that short and at that weight, you shouldn't be wanting to lose 20 pounds.

agree to disagree. I don't think it's right to make assumptions about someone's body. I think it's more likely that the OP doesn't have 20 lbs to realistically lose. But whatever, I'm not really willing to argue about it tonight. I'll concede with a "Meh, whatever"
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think that you are eating way too little at 1200 calories.

http://www.quickbmr.com/what-is-tdee.html

go here to find out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure) and that'll help you find your BMR (basal metobolic rate). BMR is what you would need to consume, at MINIMUM, if your body were just laying in bed all day.

you should be eating in between you TDEE and BMR. unfortunatly some people get confused and eat below their BMR, which causes their weight loss to suffer.

so what kind of results are you looking for?

have you heard about staci?? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the left she is 131lbs, on the right she is actually heavier at 142lbs,.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

thank you, that is exactly what i meant.

settle down people.

i know a lot of people that lose lose lose eat less less less and arent happy with their body because they lack muscle.

i was speaking from personal experience. i was 165 lbs and ate 1100-1400 calories got down to 125 lbs and was still not happy. i was SKINNY FAT! no muscle. i am now 140 lbs and much happier.

so "sorry" for making assumptions. ill quit trying to help.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A couple of things. I'll second or third the recommendation to get body competition testing done. 120 sounds like healthy weight range. My second suggestion is all about harm reduction. Lets get the disclaimer out of the way, my next suggestion is not healthy our risk free, except perhaps by comparison. Look into vaping, ie replacing cigarettes with a personal vaporizer aka electronic cigarette. This was the only thing that worked for me. Besides no longer inhaling the products if combustion, there are flavors so for me it helped curb sweets cravings. This is the first time I haven't done the quit smoking weight loss see saw. And then I'll suggest strength training. I really wish I had started that BEFORE I started losing weight. If nothing else start with the basics like pushups and squats. Besides walking/jogging thats all I've gotten the gumption for, and I'm seeing some results WITHOUT losing anymore weight.