Lost Weight...Gained Wrinkles?

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In a word....yes.
    Less fat = more wrinkles. It's a trade off, but I'm still happy to be smaller, the wrinkles were always going to come sooner or later anyway.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too when I lost 50 pounds after being at my heaviest.

In fact, when my mom saw me for the first time (she lives 1,000 miles away), she commented on them!

But, I found after time that they lessened. They seemed more pronounced when I first got to goal but then lessened over time.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I've read that going below 21% body fat makes things worse, fwiw. Also if your workouts are outside, make sure to wear a good sunblock.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Definitey. I would lose 10 more if it could come off my thighs and not my face. Unfortunately it seems to come off my face and my face would get even saggier and wrinklier. So I am happy where I am right now.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing I was doing through cardio alone and I noticed that my skin started to lose its elasticity as well. And all the places I used to be firm were starting to feel saggy/empty. I started a weightlifting program (the New Rules of Lifting for Women) and made sure to drink lots of water and moisturize religiously and I've noticed a huge difference in the appearance of my skin all over. I'm still slowly losing but in 3.5 months of lifting I've lost inches everywhere and I'm much firmer/tighter. I'd recommend a good strength training program (heavy lifting) if you haven't already started one. I'm around your same age (32 years old) so I'll be damned if I'm going to accept a flat *kitten* and wrinkles this young! :drinker::smokin:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Those beautiful kids and the people who love aren't going to care one bit about wrinkles - they are all going to happy that you are healthy, alive and able to do things you couldn't do before. 000hugs

True story!
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are factors other than weight that can make a huge difference (I've learned this from experience, but the science is out there, too, if you want to look for it.). Eat lots of veggies and fruits, don't smoke, and get plenty of sleep. And I agree, weight training also helps a lot.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Yep, and I'm only 26. It's not just wrinkles, (although, those are starting to peek through, enough to get me to finally get serious about quitting the smokes), but I feel like since my face is so much thinner without my chubbybunny cheeks, it ages me a butt-ton. Ah well. At least I don't have to find my ID as often anymore.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing going on. My weight loss is noticeable in my face with more pronounced wrinkles...definitely look older than I did before. I've read that the wrinkles and loose skin will get better over time...I hope so!
  • faireplay
    Options
    At age 50 I know that I will be facing this problem when the weight comes off.
    I have a friend who had GBS and it aged her horribly. She is ten years younger than I am and has three times the wrinkles. But sometimes we have to make the decision of health over appearance.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Gosh...I read this post and I swear you and I are on the same wave length with the wrinkle situation. I've dropped a large amount of weight this year and recently noticed that my face looks a lot older to me than it did last year. I see my face in pictures and I see those more pronounced wrinkles too. Needless to say I've gone out and spent extra money on firming skin moisterizers hoping my skin will look better to me. I can't complain though...better health, less meds, and a longer life will win me over than just liking to stay young looking =) ... by the way, big congrats on your own success!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Did you cut way back on fats? If you regularly come in under your fat goal, add some fats back into your diet. Work on staying hydrated. You may also need to switch up all your face products to more moisturizing ones: cleansers, moisturizers, foundations, etc.

ETA: I peeked at a few days of your diary. Increasing your protein might help a little.

Fat and protein are essential to keeping your skin more elastic--so is proper hydration. If you are following a lower carb plan, make sure that you get enough salt in your diet as lower carb plans tend to dehydrate. Sugar, in most any form, will form glycation compounds in the tiny blood vessels that nourish the skin and thus also interfere with good circulation in the skin--leading to dull, dry, inelastic skin. So nix the sugar as much as possible except for a small amount of honey (which has anti-oxidant benefits---and PURE 100% maple syrup (which has 56 different polyphenols that the body uses to fight cell oxidation--one cause of wrinkles. It is important for skin health---as for every facet of health--that you eat as healthfully as you can.

Also, last but not least, aim for a slow and steady weight loss (something like 1 pound a week). Too quick a weight loss does terrible things to the skin.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to use a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid in it--as that will stimulate collagen formation in the skin. (Loss of collagen in the skin causes the structure of the skin to breakdown, leading to wrinkling.) For heavier duty, there are hyaluronic acid serums for application to the skin---pricey though. Pricier still are hyaluronic acid injections and since hyaluronic acid is typically present in every cell of the body, there is no fear of side effect---just make sure that the professional who does the injections knows what he/she is doing. Hyaluronic acid moisturizers and serums usually contain Vitamin C to help your skin absorb them better. There are hyaluronic acid oral supplements that you can take (some arthritis sufferers take them to stimulate the regrowth of damaged joint cartilage) but I have no experience with them, so I don't know if they are good or bad. Certainly, if you are going to go that route, it would be best to consult a naturopath as to the possible benefits of a hyaluronic acid supplement and he/she will steer you to a reputable manufacturer.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Age 58 and the big fat face didnt have room for wrinkles. Now 117 pounds later, I dont even recognize my face. So many wrinkles, puffiness under the eyes.

I would love some suggestions that anyone has found for great facial treatment, ie moisturizer, wrinkle reducer, etc.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I was happy to read about jowels tightening up. theres some good tips in here. thanks
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes this will happen sometimes. When you lose weight in a bulk some wrinkles are coming out. Don't worry dear. Try some natural home remedies to remove wrinkles.

• Massage lemon juice all over your skin to help get rid of wrinkles.
    • An ancient home remedy for the removal of wrinkles, cabbage juice should be massaged over the facial skin and left to dry. After the juice dries, rinse it off with warm water.
    • Mash a ripe papaya and apply the pulp to the face and neck.
    • Apply pineapple juice all over the skin and leave it on for five minutes before washing off.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You often see people on tv who have lost lots of weight but gained years in their faces......guess it's bound to happen if your fat cells are shrinking then the skin will sit differently over the surface.....bit depressing really!! :ohwell:
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yes...me too...and at 52 I'm not hopeful that they will reduce very much. I look in the mirror and see my mum looking back at me!!

Maybe it's just the price I have to pay for losing the weight and feeling healthier.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    A balloon doesn't have wrinkles!! I am 51 and have shrunk quite a lot. I do have wrinkles now but I think my face will catch up eventually. My stomach looks like a 3D road map but I am proud of my shrivelled body - it's my battle ground, and I am winning! I did this in 10 months from Jan this year.
    Untitled_zps62a403d7.jpg
    smileytowelsml.jpg
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My wonderful friend pointed out a couple years ago that I have wrinkles around my eyes and how wonderful that is because I must be really happy, lol. I am 25 now and just feel like crows feet are part of my :p I tried wrinkle cream and it for sure didnt work. I see awesome stuff online/infomercials all the time. I just saw one for rejuvenate, or something like that. Their before and after pics were amazing!