Way under eating/calories....

Options
2»

Replies

• kaputch1980
    kaputch1980 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am new to the site. I have been entering virtually every bite for the past week and most days it tells me I am under calories. But I am finding that I am not hungry or dizzy and really trying to eat sensibly. I also have a blood sugar issue I am trying to get under control but I am having a hard time finding out what I should be eating and how much of it. I don't starve myself, actually far from it, but I am just not meeting the calories MFP suggests. Perhaps I need to change my settings?

Maybe you can check this site out too, it was left above: I found this topic to be very helpful in setting my goals, and finding the right amount of calories, protein, carbs, fats, etc, and manually changed my settings here at MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It's no always easy and with health problems there can be more challenges. We can friend eachother and I will help in whatever way I can. As a diabetic it is important for you to eat a balance of protein, carbs and fats; you're on the right road. I am not diabetic, but I have a few family members who are. I myself have back issues, 4 surgeries in the past 4 years; but I'm gonna do this one step at a time and Never Give Up! :smile:
  • mrsricta
    Options
    Whatever you do, do NOT undereat your calories! Obviously you want to make those calories count with whole grains, veggies, fruits, fiber and protein etc. but if you undereat you will slow your metabolism way down because your body goes into "starvation" mode and does everything it can to hold on to every bite you eat. You will lose weight much more slowly if you don't eat the right amount of calories!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am new to the site. I have been entering virtually every bite for the past week and most days it tells me I am under calories. But I am finding that I am not hungry or dizzy and really trying to eat sensibly. I also have a blood sugar issue I am trying to get under control but I am having a hard time finding out what I should be eating and how much of it. I don't starve myself, actually far from it, but I am just not meeting the calories MFP suggests. Perhaps I need to change my settings?

You feeling full and your body being fully fed for your level of activity or 2 totally separate things.

You can shrink your stomach by eating like a bird, and then screw up your hormones such you aren't hungry.

But your body will eventually show you by the results seen that you've been under-eating. Usually by the fact you'll lose decent amount of muscle mass, your metabolism will slow from that fact, and it will become suppressed even more, and the deficit you used to have to lose weight will no longer be there.

Depending on your yo-yo dieting and jumping into exercise frequency and intensity, that may come in 6 wks to 3 months. And like many, could plateau for 6 months to 1 yr. Take that time together and the possibly fast initial weight loss turns out not to be so fast anymore, and a balanced approach from the beginning would have been a whole lot less stressful mentally, emotionally, and physically.

How long does it take for the physical side effects to show up that you are constantly low on a specific vitamin or mineral?
    Does the body inform you daily somehow you are low in general?
    Nope - not until the side effects show up, visit Dr, get blood workup, hope your system isn't messed up for too long, ect.

Lowered desire to eat usually means your metabolism has already slowed down and you screwed up your hormones - because doubtless you didn't get to the point you needed to lose weight by eating that much in the first place.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Focus on yourself, you know they aren't doing it right so don't let them influence you. The purpose of your calorie goal is to reach it, not to go under it.

Someone above linked you a road map, definitely take a look for guidance.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    my diarys open ........ but please dont add me. i eat plenty for me, i dont need people telling me what i should or shouldnt do. i eat healthy foods and i have more energy than ive had for years. So, before you all get on your soap box and give me grief dont bother, i dont tell you wot to eat.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    my diarys open ........ but please dont add me. i eat plenty for me, i dont need people telling me what i should or shouldnt do. i eat healthy foods and i have more energy than ive had for years. So, before you all get on your soap box and give me grief dont bother, i dont tell you wot to eat.

Good for you. I think this is all a unique situation for everyone. Good on you for sticking up for yourself now too. Intimidation wears many faces.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Good for you. I think this is all a unique situation for everyone. Good on you for sticking up for yourself now too. Intimidation wears many faces.

thank you x
  • kaputch1980
    Options

No judgement, just trying to understand. Being new to the site and seeing everyone's version of food and eating is interesting to me. I am an Anthropology major and foodie by nature, I try to understand and see where everyone is coming from not to judge but to understand. I have a love affair with food and it has always been my problem.
    Too bad though we have much in common from reading your page, good luck in the future.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I keep my diary open so anyone interested can have a look. I am entering maintenance now, so am working on upping my calories slowly and I feel like most of what I eat is healthy. I exercise a 4-5 days a week too. Feel free to add me if you like.

I don't have a problem with people eating very few calories, but what I don't understand is why some people have their calorie allotment set so much above what they consistently eat. I'm not bashing, but honestly curious. If one intends to eat only say 800 calories each day and consistently does so, why would they set their calorie goal to 1200 or more?
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes some people do need less food. I know that personally I have a lot more energy when I eat less, and I never really feel hungry. It just suits me, I've never been able to eat as much as other people :)
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary open so anyone interested can have a look. I am entering maintenance now, so am working on upping my calories slowly and I feel like most of what I eat is healthy. I exercise a 4-5 days a week too. Feel free to add me if you like.

I don't have a problem with people eating very few calories, but what I don't understand is why some people have their calorie allotment set so much above what they consistently eat. I'm not bashing, but honestly curious. If one intends to eat only say 800 calories each day and consistently does so, why would they set their calorie goal to 1200 or more?

Some people just keep their calorie allotment at what the site has recommended even if they're eating under that, some people don't know how to change it, and some people just use their set calorie level as a maximum... they might eat under on a normal day but have it a bit above so that it doesn't go into the red on a day when they might go out to eat or eat a bit more :)
  • keelz2010
    Options
    My diary is open, it's not the healthiest one, but I always eat my cals- in real food! You could be a bit more choosy about your friends, try to accept/add people that inspire you and that have a similar goal to keep you focused.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, but, I'll warn you it's not much fun.. lol.. I keep it pretty simple really..
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    im on a pretty low calorie diet from my dietician, but here is an example of what i eat

breakfast - 1 egg or yogurt with protein powder or 30g cereal and milk

lunch - 2 rivita with salad and cheese or ham

dinner - 40g protein and low starch veg

snacks - not supposed to but occasional protein bar or nuts

If i want dessert or chocolate i have it, as long as it fits in my goals and i dont have it often.

You can do low calorie healthy.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a few friends who didn't eat much, but I've since deleted them. I have my diary open to friends, so feel free to add me. :)
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just want to put this out there, as a person who eats less than their alloted daily calories, some people do actually struggle to eat enough to hit their calorie goal and have a good reason for it. I, for instance, take stimulant medication for ADHD which can kill your appitite and I push myself daily to hit my goal- unfortunately I pretty much always fail :\ but at least it's not for lack of trying :)

What I am trying to say is that you can't worry about how much other people are or are not eating because, unless you ask, you don't know why they do what they do. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from -the first time I was on MFP I did the same thing (looking at other people's diaries to get ideas) and all it did was discourage me because I saw them hitting their calorie goals when I couldn't.. I shouldn't have let stuff like that get in my way the first time I tried to lose weight and you shouldn't either.

Instead of checking out diaries, check out the recipies that people put up all the time in the nutrition section. I just paid all my freakin bills but, heck, I am checking them out already and making a grocery list so I can get all the supplies I need to eat healthier when I get paid this week :P

Good luck and remember to just do whats right for you :)
  • rosewhore
    Options
    I too do not always eat all of my calories but, with a lap band, if you eat too much and/ or too fast it comes back up. It usually takes me 2 hours to eat a meal because I have to eat it VERY slowly. I agree with others who have stated that everyone of us is different, not good or bad, just different.
  • kaputch1980
    Options
    I just want to put this out there, as a person who eats less than their alloted daily calories, some people do actually struggle to eat enough to hit their calorie goal and have a good reason for it. I, for instance, take stimulant medication for ADHD which can kill your appitite and I push myself daily to hit my goal- unfortunately I pretty much always fail :\ but at least it's not for lack of trying :)

What I am trying to say is that you can't worry about how much other people are or are not eating because, unless you ask, you don't know why they do what they do. Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from -the first time I was on MFP I did the same thing (looking at other people's diaries to get ideas) and all it did was discourage me because I saw them hitting their calorie goals when I couldn't.. I shouldn't have let stuff like that get in my way the first time I tried to lose weight and you shouldn't either.

Instead of checking out diaries, check out the recipies that people put up all the time in the nutrition section. I just paid all my freakin bills but, heck, I am checking them out already and making a grocery list so I can get all the supplies I need to eat healthier when I get paid this week :P

Good luck and remember to just do whats right for you :)

Thank you :smile: