Calorie intake?

Options
So everyday when im done logging my foods and exercise, I always find that it is hard for me to intake the minimum 1,200 calories you need a day. I usually average 900-1000. Is that bad? Should i force myself to eat more? I am just not hungry.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not hard to achieve. Eat real food, yogurt, cheese, eggs, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, oils are easy ways to add some calories.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not hard to achieve. Eat real food, yogurt, cheese, eggs, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, oils are easy ways to add some calories.

It is for some people. I personally have a small stomach, and 300 calories is a huge meal for me.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

It is for some people. I personally have a small stomach, and 300 calories is a huge meal for me.

Have you spoken to a doctor about only being able to eat around 600 calories a day? You realise that isn't normal don't you? There must be something wrong.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Even with a small stomach, it is easy to up your calories. a PB & J has 300 or more calories! add some olive oil to what you're cooking and you've added 100 + calories with just a table spoon. A little avocado or cheese quickly adds calories.
  • Moosycakes
    Options
    Even with a small stomach, it is easy to up your calories. a PB & J has 300 or more calories! add some olive oil to what you're cooking and you've added 100 + calories with just a table spoon. A little avocado or cheese quickly adds calories.

It's more difficult when you're the fussiest eater in the entire world and don't like eating anything that takes time to make :P
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Unless youre eating cucumbers and lettuce all day, its pretty easy to rack up the calories quickly.

As people have mentioned, stuff with healthy fat like nuts, nut butter, avocado,and olive oil are an easy way of adding calories without adding too much volume to your meals.

Also snacking throughout the day helps, rather than trying to eat all your calories in just 3 meals.
  • mockchoc
    Options

It's more difficult when you're the fussiest eater in the entire world and don't like eating anything that takes time to make :P

Ok fair enough :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

I heard that before.
    Now the person who said it eats 1200 cal post workout meals and is shredded.....
    Learn to eat right and you wont have excess body fat.
  • Moosycakes
    Options

I heard that before.
    Now the person who said it eats 1200 cal post workout meals and is shredded.....

I don't want to be shredded...
    My mother tells me that even when I was a baby, I would only have half the amount of milk that a normal baby would, and if I had any more I would throw it up because there wasn't enough room for it.
  • jennifertruitt77
    Options
    your body NEEDS at least 1200 calories to even function the right way. Especially for women. If not, your body will go into starvation mode and you wont lose any weight.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your body NEEDS at least 1200 calories to even function the right way. Especially for women. If not, your body will go into starvation mode and you wont lose any weight.

This is not true. When I was losing weight, I was at 1051 cals per day, took me 10 weeks to lose 10 lbs-very safe and healthy. I have been in maintenance since Jan. I now eat 1561 cals per day have not gained any weight back and have lost a significant amount of body fat-eating right and working out hard!
  • Moosycakes
    Options
    Of course, I do recommend trying to fit some extra calories in for the OP :)
    It's just a hard thing for me to do, but I think it's important to try.
  • mockchoc
    Options

I heard that before.

My mother tells me that even when I was a baby, I would only have half the amount of milk that a normal baby would, and if I had any more I would throw it up because there wasn't enough room for it.

Maybe she was wrong. My first baby was always vomiting up his milk but it was from reflux no a tiny stomach.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating a larger quantity, just choose foods more dense in nutrients/calories. Almonds, olives, avocados, steak, whole eggs, cheeses, whole milk, etc.
    That way your will help I sure your body gets the proteins and good fats it needs to function, build muscle, and lose fat...and your stomach won't feel overly stuffed.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    ]

Then eat 3 meals of 100 calories each.
    I almost never eat my 300 calorie meal in one sitting, it usually happens in bits and bites over a 2 hour period.
  • Moosycakes
    Options

Maybe she was wrong. My first baby was always vomiting up his milk but it was from reflux no a tiny stomach.

You calling my mother wrong?! *_*
    Kidding ;3

It could have been reflux, I can't exactly remember back then xD But I have had a small stomach capacity for as long as I can remember. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Not everyone CAN eat 1200 a day. I been at this for 10 months & am still unable to eat that on most days. Some days, take my exercise into it (600 cals some days in one workout) and I can barely NET 400 cals.

I don't understand how people have this magic number that EVERYONE must eat. Some people just don't like food that much & CAN be ok on that. Not everyone feels the need to have peanut butter or nuts (those that are allergic cant) and not everyone can have some of the other things suggested. Those with gluten problems cant eat a whole heap of 'normal' things either. ALl of this greatly reduces what people can eat.

There is no magic 1200 cal a day minimum. Everyone is different & as long as they are not skin & bones & are FULL by the end of the day... then what the hell does a number mean?
  • Hchikk
    Options
    Hi! I started a1200 calorie diet 6 days ago, I am always lower too.
    That red warning on the bottom at the end of the day totals is scary!
    I am not hungry either! I am eating a lot! Tomorrow is my weigh in!
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Are you using scales and measuring cups? When i first started here I thought I was eating good and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing turns out I had no idea what a portion was. I started weighing properly and faithfully and realized I was eating wayyyyy too much.