Do you feel skinny even with the extra skin?

Options

Replies

• sdurrahMpls
    sdurrahMpls Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. But I just refuse to believe that it can't be fixed through diet and exercise. Lifting heavy will make a big difference, but I am thoroughly convinced that the KINDS of foods you're eating play a big role. I'm a sucker for sweets. I'm willing to bet that a majority of the women on the page who have the same saggy skin issues have a sweet tooth as well. The effects of sugar and salt on your skin are horrific. Salt causes cells to expand, sugar will dehydrate you. No matter how much water you're drinking, your diet is imparitive to getting the skin where you want it. Be wary of hidden sugars too, starches. Your best bet is to eat lots of veggies and fruits which give you the vitamins and nutrients your body needs to function at its max capacity. If you give your skin what it needs, it will do what you want! ...Of course, it's easier said than done. Even with believing this with all my heart, my diary is a mess. I'm getting better though. I'm determined to get that 6 pack. I guess I'll have to keep you updated :)

BTW, congrats on your loss. That is EPIC!
  • admiremybeauty
    Options
    i dont know the answer, but you look great. you have a lot to be proud of.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're not alone; I have it too. I just keep telling myself I feel SO MUCH BETTER than I did 100 lbs ago. It's a consequence of my years and years of poor health, and in my case only surgery will fix it. But I have a great, active, life and a wonderful man who loves me and my saggy-fit body, so I try and keep it in perspective. :-)
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep flappy skin at bay is to lose weight slowly, but who wants to hang on to their jiggles for any longer than necessary? ;) Even so, the skin thing is a problem. Supplements might help some, but there is no miracle cure and if anything claims to be a miracle cure, don't believe it! No cream will firm skin. The best a cream could hope to do is help your skin stay healthy enough to firm on it's own. That would be the same whether you spent $2 at Walmart or $150 for some miracle cream. And often the "miracle creams" are full of potentially harmful and irritating ingredients that will actually make the problems worse.

Take care of your skin. Use lotions, body washes, etc . . ., that are not irritating to the skin. If it tingles or burns, it is not because it's working, it's because it is damaging your skin. Wear clothing that supports your skin while it is healing, e.g. Spanx, foundation garments, corsets. Your skin just needs time to heal. If time isn't enough, surgery is probably the next best option.

I have lost my weight a bit slower than some of you and I still have the flop. I know the feeling to look down at my tummy and still see the fat person I was. It feels like there are two "me"s, the fat floppy one, and the one who looks cute and skinny in my new dresses. Hang in there! (no pun intended ;) )
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep flappy skin at bay is to lose weight slowly, but who wants to hang on to their jiggles for any longer than necessary? ;) Even so, the skin thing is a problem. Supplements might help some, but there is no miracle cure and if anything claims to be a miracle cure, don't believe it! No cream will firm skin. The best a cream could hope to do is help your skin stay healthy enough to firm on it's own. That would be the same whether you spent $2 at Walmart or $150 for some miracle cream. And often the "miracle creams" are full of potentially harmful and irritating ingredients that will actually make the problems worse.

Take care of your skin. Use lotions, body washes, etc . . ., that are not irritating to the skin. If it tingles or burns, it is not because it's working, it's because it is damaging your skin. Wear clothing that supports your skin while it is healing, e.g. Spanx, foundation garments, corsets. Your skin just needs time to heal. If time isn't enough, surgery is probably the next best option.

I have lost my weight a bit slower than some of you and I still have the flop. I know the feeling to look down at my tummy and still see the fat person I was. It feels like there are two "me"s, the fat floppy one, and the one who looks cute and skinny in my new dresses. Hang in there! (no pun intended ;) )

Thank you for this insight! I have deff done this slow, been a year and half. I am hoping the majority will bounce back some at some point.

I certainly have been obese my whole life and been stretched out from pregnancy as well so i dont expect it to ever be perfect
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I so relieved I am not the only one with this issue. Sorry to hear you do too. I cry every night about my tummy. I freaking hate it!!!!

I am starting to do strength training onto of my cardio in hopes that it helps it. This is a big stresser for me.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump cause my stomach looks the same and this is interesting
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I feel thinner but I don't feel like I'm anywhere near where I wanna be. Cus I have skin. It's taken me 2 years to lose most all my weight I have 7 lbs to go. I'm giving myself another 2 years to lose the skin. In the mean time I'll be saving up for a tummy tuck.
  • npetercmway
    Options
    Yeah, this!

I am only halfway to my goal and I can tell this will be an issue for me. I have a lot of loose skin in the ab area. Of course for how many years that I was grossly overweight, what can I expect. Thanks to everyone who posted helpful info on here as I am taking note of it too. It is also comforting in a way to know that we are not alone in this struggle with skin flaps. Sorry I don't have any helpful tips to offer.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have lost 102 pounds from my highest weight. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 2/4. Yes. I still feel fat. All I can see is the skin that hangs on my stomach, butt and thighs. I can pull it up and see that I am "thin", but it is stuck under all of that skin. I can see my hip bones poking out. In theory I know I am not fat.

I also relate to the person that posted that it is a daily reminder of how I effed up and let my body go. I think of what I would look like if I hadn't let myself get fat. I have been pregnant twice, but actually weighed more when my daughter was 10 than on the day she was born.

I am saving up for surgery as I think for me it is my only real fix. I will need a full body lift and I can promise that once I go through the pain and healing I will never take my body for granted again.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have lost 102 pounds from my highest weight. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 2/4. Yes. I still feel fat. All I can see is the skin that hangs on my stomach, butt and thighs. I can pull it up and see that I am "thin", but it is stuck under all of that skin. I can see my hip bones poking out. In theory I know I am not fat.

I also relate to the person that posted that it is a daily reminder of how I effed up and let my body go. I think of what I would look like if I hadn't let myself get fat. I have been pregnant twice, but actually weighed more when my daughter was 10 than on the day she was born.

I am saving up for surgery as I think for me it is my only real fix. I will need a full body lift and I can promise that once I go through the pain and healing I will never take my body for granted again.

WOW, congrats on your weightloss! You look great! I bet in the end i will have to save up for a tummy tuck. I will give it some time though and see what happens!
  • funnatashal
    Options
    NO! My body is nearly identical to yours. I still have another 8 lbs to go to be at a "healthy" weight according to BMI. However, I did a consultation with a plastic surgeon over Thanksgiving. I'm planning on a tummy tuck in June, and that amount of skin removed should put me below my goal weight. I cannot wait to be able to see my thighs! I have never been this active and in shape, and I cannot imagine what wearing a bikini will feel like this summer!!!
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    As much as I do you would think my body would shape up, but I have a lot of skin flab even on my arms, it hangs there. When I lift my arm you can see where the arm is and then the skin hangs and its pretty bad too. I am working on losing enough weight to get surgery to remove it, because sorry to say its not going away even as much as I do.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    God, I wish I had a better answer. I only feel like "me" when I have a shaper on. My doc already told me easily I have 10lbs of skin even with my heavy lifting routine. I look at myself in the mirror and cry (literally). Not only did I hurt my organs and body from the weight, but until I can afford it I will have this disgusting reminder everyday that I REALLY f*cked up. I feel like it is laughing at me. Taunting me. "you'll never get the body you want" it tells me. I beat it with ab workouts and heavy lifting. It still laughs at me. "I am not going anywhere" as I strap it down with a shaper.

I hope this changes but for now all I see is a 300lb person I used to be and not the person I am today. I try positive affirmations but it is so hard with this skin.

Oh gosh, you nailed it. At least you have us ladies that can support you and plus we know what it is like to have the extra skin flab :(

Ouch this makes me hurt and want to cry. Life is so not f'en fair, but I guess no one said it would be. Sigh.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby and have 35 pounds to lose. I'm POSITIVE I'll have loose skin because it's already sagging and I'm still FAT. I have a million stretchmarks, that are awful, dark red and purple and COVERING my entire stomach. But to answer your question, yes I probably will still feel fat.

Wanted to let you know that the stretchmarks will shrink and fade to a silvery color. Mine were huge and angry looking but are not very noticeable now. (It's been 3 yrs.)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of fat on my stomach area so I am just waiting to see how much of that becomes excess skin when I'm closer to my goal. Even now I see the hang of the mommy-pouch and I'm concerned it's just going to stay there. :<

They do say strength training does wonders? Might be worth a shot.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had a 67 pound weight loss 5 years ago, and three years ago (almost exactly!) I had a tummy tuck. It was worth every dime I spent on it. The cost varies depending on where you're located, but when I had mine done I was living in Maine. The entire cost, including all hospital fees and the anesthesiologist was $4500.00. I had an awesome surgeon! In looking at your photos I think you'd be a perfect candidate for the surgery. I didn't have any self esteem issues after losing the weight.... to the contrary.... but getting rid of that loose skin and fixing the damage to the underlying muscles damaged from childbirth made me feel over the top! I regained some weight recently which is now almost completely gone again and there hasn't been any return of sagging skin.

Certainly, exercise, firm and tone as much as you can, but you have to know when you've done everything you can personally do and not beat yourself up if you don't get the final result you're hoping for. Surgery isn't "cheating".... it's fixing what you can't fix on your own!

Oh and I forgot to add, sometimes insurance will cover the cost of excess skin removal if it's causing other problems, like sores and infections. I saved for two years to get mine done because my insurance wouldn't pay for it.
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this! I thought it was because I'm older and my skin has stretched out for almost 30 years! I have the wrinkles along inner thighs--along with some smaller rolls, my flabby upper arms--even though I've got a bit of toning going on there, and my tummy apron sag! My bottom also doesn't look like I ever remember it looking--saggy and really small--I was always a pear shape. I've lost weight slowly (54 pounds in 11 months), but haven't been faithful to exercising. I've started with body oils for my stomach and legs, sometimes upper arms. Even though I walk a lot--I've got funny fat bumps at my inner knees too! I' m going to stock up on Omega vitamins and try that in addition to trying to be more faithful in exercise and try to up inner thigh muscle toning. Even though I have at least 6 months, I want to look good by Summer, shorts and bathing suit weather.
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had three babies and also lost 110 lbs from my highest weight. My stomach is a mess. When I'm wearing clothes, I feel great and I love the way I look. When I step out of the shower and I see myself naked, it's another story. I'm trying to learn to embrace the way I look. I'm trying to look at the extra skin as a "badge of honour" and something that I only have because I was able to have my beautiful babies and lose a crap load of weight. I'm not there yet, but I'm feeling a little better about it each and every day. Baby steps :smile:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I have this extra skin look but only when I'm bending over or in a plank position. If effing sucks. I am hoping my new workout routine will help. If I find the answer...I will let you know!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!