Muscle on a Woman

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    As you can see from the above posts, you are going to get a mixed reaction. When I was in my prime physique I had men tell me I was intimidating cause I lifted *heavy*. (I still think there is a big misconception of what *heavy* is for a woman.) I also had men stop me in a store and tell me how amazing i looked. Ive had men/women blatently ignore me at the gym cause I worked out in the weight room. But I also made some wonderful friends in the weight room.

I think some ppl have different ideas of what mascular is..what toned is.. what skinny is... Just like the poster earlier commented about madonna's arms.

I stopped caring what ppl thought... Got used to the positive and negative comments/stares and kept on liftin :)
    I get the same thing sometimes in the gym especially when I was still starting to lift heavy but I shrugged them off. Then when they see me rin the squat rack rocking a 65kg barbell, they just tame like a kittens, LOL.

Some men are either ignorant about what a strong female looks like or worse, some are still into male chuvinism which pisses me off.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Muscles on a woman is sexy!!!
    agreed!
  • GingerRunner
    Options
    feel free to creep my profile. all 100% natural... 110% effort and 120% hard work!!!

I definitely just creeped and GIRL YOU LOOK AMAZING!

I have been doing lifting for 3-4 weeks now and I love the results so far. I think muscle of girls just shows hard they look after their selves without starving their selves!

Exactly.

And when someone says its obsessive to train etc... look at reality - an hour or two at the gym vs:

-Several hours in front of the TV each night
    -Drinking until you cannot work
    -Eat so that you gain massive mounds of fat
    -Hours on video games

You get the point! Is it not better for one to keep oneself healthy - you get one body - best to keep it running the best you can - you are in it and use it more than ANYTHING you will own in your life time and maybe, your body, will be depended on by your kids and family too, so not to fail and get ill.

I get told I'm obsessive because I do it 3 times a week as well as a lot of cardio. I don't find that obsessive and I certainly don't find my eating habits obsessive (my boyfriend tells me this). Just because he sits around eating a large Domino's pizza and watch TV, he thinks I'm obsessive! I'm the one that looks after myself. He tells me he doesn't want me to look butch. What a weird thing to say! (I also have more muscle than him now). But I take pride in my appearance and I also take pride in choosing the right foods and the right portions. :)

Bingo. Until you point things out... people miss what other could consider obsessive.

For a woman to look butch, thats a WHOLE lot of work.

*AND* for a woman to look "butch," well, now, there's some of us who just downright like that! ;-)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Muscle on women is hot too. You can tell she has worked hard for it too, just like the men.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Muscle make hulk happy in pants, make hulk grab apple pie.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuecZAmWdTrqb-yX5nS-Pps7H3t2dI3KrbWHa68A0tIEIdHOsZ_ZHtSZZSJw
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Muscle on woman is amazingly hot! Thats all that needs to be said
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Women with great muscle tone are beautiful. A lot of women consider muscle on a woman to be a body builder figure. A lot of the time when women bash weight lifting it is only out of fear and lack of knowledge about lifting.

Do what you want for your own body. If you like the muscle look, go for it. At the end of the day, no matter what anyone says or what their opinions may be, you are the one who has to live with your body. :)
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    go for it muscles are prettier than rolls
  • mteezy59
    Options
    Muscle on a woman look amazing. my wife and I train together all the time.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Muscle on woman is amazingly hot! Thats all that needs to be said

agreed, and she can decide how it appears by the amount of body fat.
    I can only hope to get to that point where I may have to put some back on!

right now, its SMASH
    EAT.
    REPEAT.

I have been lifting heavier and heavier, and dont look any bigger...in fact, without any change in weight for a while, my waist is smaller!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think women bulk up a little. I know my arms are noticably more defined and bigger. I dont mind the look though
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me be the voice of the other side. No question that you ladies showing the guns are attractive and would be tops on with my friend but I find myself attracted to thicker girls. Please do not take this as a slam to those that work their butts off to get cut. I totally admire your hard work and dedication and I am not here to slam anyone but I wanted to give the other side. Its all about what an individual find attractive. So you do what makes you happy since that is what is most important!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    hmm
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm into it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    A lot of times people immediately think of the bodybuilding competition pics. First off, the women cut severely before a comp, so they have very little BF, they are body painted, and they are extremely pumped. When they are in off-season, and not pumped and painted for a show, they look more natural, and shapely.
    There is also a big difference between body building and power lifting. The power lifter women have a much higher BF% and the huge muscles they build, covered with the often large layer of body fat, can make a woman look very bulky and manly. I think some women are afraid of looking like that, so they are afraid to lift heavy. In some circumstances, if a woman has a lot of BF to lose, she may want to work on losing BF while lifting moderately, and wait until her BF% is lower before she hits the heavy weights.

Back in my younger days when I was lifting, I had a naturally muscular body, especially legs and shoulders, but I had a short, thick waist. I had a super strong core, but I had to watch the crunches because my waist was already thick, and the only extra BF I had was right in the midsection. It was frustrating that I couldn't get the skinny waist like the bodybuilders I worked out with.

I never had any complaints from men or women about my muscles!

If I didn't have injuries and a chronic spinal disease now, I'd still be in the gym 3 days or more a week.
  • nyadnar17
    Options
    I personally love the look. Shoulder, arms, legs, and that deadlifters butt! Its pretty awesome.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A lot of times people immediately think of the bodybuilding competition pics. First off, the women cut severely before a comp, so they have very little BF, they are body painted, and they are extremely pumped. When they are in off-season, and not pumped and painted for a show, they look more natural, and shapely.
    There is also a big difference between body building and power lifting. The power lifter women have a much higher BF% and the huge muscles they build, covered with the often large layer of body fat, can make a woman look very bulky and manly. I think some women are afraid of looking like that, so they are afraid to lift heavy. In some circumstances, if a woman has a lot of BF to lose, she may want to work on losing BF while lifting moderately, and wait until her BF% is lower before she hits the heavy weights.

Back in my younger days when I was lifting, I had a naturally muscular body, especially legs and shoulders, but I had a short, thick waist. I had a super strong core, but I had to watch the crunches because my waist was already thick, and the only extra BF I had was right in the midsection. It was frustrating that I couldn't get the skinny waist like the bodybuilders I worked out with.

I never had any complaints from men or women about my muscles!

If I didn't have injuries and a chronic spinal disease now, I'd still be in the gym 3 days or more a week.

Just to mention that a lot of powerlifting women don't have large bf%'s or look bulky at all. I know some do, as you don't need the low bodyfat for comps like in bodybuilding. It's all done in weight categories though. My category or lower, I doubt the women in those would look bulky, or have high levels of body fat. Powerlifting (and oly weightlifting) is actually quite good for not building large muscles because the focus is on strength and power rather than muscle size.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of repliers are agreeing with you that muscle is sexy but not really giving any advice on how to get there.

What defines a figure competitor type body (which is what a natural body builder looks like) is large muscles and low body fat. It's pretty hard to do both at the same time. Most go through cut and bulk cycles.

To build significant muscle you need to eat a lot, over maintenance, to lift heavy, and to eat adequate protein. Calculate your TDEE (google it, there are a ton of sites), add 10%. If you fail to gain on that (and you'll gain fat and muscle but you can't gain muscle until the scale goes up) you're good, if not add more. Get about a gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass (or total mass just to be safe). If you are new to lifting I'd suggest a program like StrongLifts5x5 which is very basic. It'll help you learn to lift and build a good amount of strength and yes, some muscle size. If you've already been doing a program like this you might want to look into a hypertrophy specific (muscle building) program that includes a lot of volume (like 2-3 moves per muscle group), 8-10 reps. A lot of people bulk during the winter. Some bulk for a certain amount of time others bulk until they gain a certain amount of weight.

Once you've reached your bulking goal then you cut, which is basically a diet but you need to be careful to not lose any of that REALLY hard earned muscle you've hopefully just gained. Small deficit (so TDEE minus 10%), same amount of protein and continue lifting, although you may want to switch back to a strength program and cut the volume (I do 3x5 instead of 5x5). Continue this until you are happy with your muscle definition.

Repeat the process as often as you like.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    5x5 won't really add mass my friend, not really in the hypertrophy zone, 8-12 reps, or higher if done to failure (IIRC around 20-25 reps produced the same muscle gains as 8-12 when taken to muscular failure).

5x5 won't as it won't stress both the fast and slow twitch fibres which is how mucle gain is made. Both have to be strained for muscle bulk to increase.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the responses, but my overall view is that I like women with curves in the "right" places. Other than that, I'm not picky. Yeah - I like fit-looking women, but the "overly" musclebound women? It's on a case-by-case basis.