Full Marathons in the US

Options
I completed my first half marathon in October and it was awe inspiring for me. Seriously, the best feeling that I have ever had in my entire life and I have tried a lot of stuff over the last 30 years. I was happy in my skin and I thought how could I have waited 30 years to feel like this.

But if 13.1 miles felt that great, how great must 26.2 miles feel? I have decided to find out.

So next year, I will run a full marathon in the US. I'm limiting it to the US because I want my 4 year to see me cross the finish line and we are not really comfortable taking her out of the country because of her health. So what ideas do you have for me on full marathons in the US?

I ran my half in Kansas City in 2:22:22.

Should I try an easy course to start?
Where is a good place to run in say September?
How long do you think it will take me?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    One more question, does anyone want to join me?
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first full on May 5 in Kalamazoo Michigan. You are a lot faster than me though. My best half was 2:45. Let me know what race you choose . I might be up for a second.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Dee..HUGE congratulations on completing and storming your half marathon! I'm serious...i will run a 26.2 with you, I don't want my first marathon to be ran in the UK. I like the sound of Toronto waterfront in October as it's very flat and first time friendly...but I am open minded!!

I'm also thinking of training with the Kenyan Olympic long distance runners in iten, Kenya in March..they do a 2 week residential course where you run with the athletes at high altitude every day and they also do seminars on nutrition,technique etc in a very comfortable campus-like environment...it's open for any standard of runner, not just runners in training for major competitions.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Not sure how quickly the Columbus OH marathon fills up, but many people compliment the organizers. This year's was sponsored by Nationwide Children's Hospital and each mile was dedicated to a different child hero. It is held in early October.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 13.1!

Check out this web site for races throughout North America

http://www.active.com/

When picking your race keep in mind that you want at least 16 to 18 weeks to train for it.

I'll be running my 4th half marathon in January (it's a Canadian thing, eh!) and my first full marathon in May 2013.
  • Deedsie
    Options
    Dee..HUGE congratulations on completing and storming your half marathon! I'm serious...i will run a 26.2 with you, I don't want my first marathon to be ran in the UK. I like the sound of Toronto waterfront in October as it's very flat and first time friendly...but I am open minded!!

I'm also thinking of training with the Kenyan Olympic long distance runners in iten, Kenya in March..they do a 2 week residential course where you run with the athletes at high altitude every day and they also do seminars on nutrition,technique etc in a very comfortable campus-like environment...it's open for any standard of runner, not just runners in training for major competitions.

I'm pretty sure my husband would freak if I ran off to Kenya for 2 weeks, otherwise that would be awesome. I might be interested in Toronto and definitely would like into Georgia. Do you have the links for the marathons?
  • Deedsie
    Options
    I'm running my first full on May 5 in Kalamazoo Michigan. You are a lot faster than me though. My best half was 2:45. Let me know what race you choose . I might be up for a second.

I won't be ready until next fall. By next year, you could be faster than me. I ran with a pacing group which really helped my speed, I think.
  • Deedsie
    Options
    Not sure how quickly the Columbus OH marathon fills up, but many people compliment the organizers. This year's was sponsored by Nationwide Children's Hospital and each mile was dedicated to a different child hero. It is held in early October.

That is a definite possibility. I do like races for a cause.
  • Deedsie
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 13.1!

Check out this web site for races throughout North America

http://www.active.com/

When picking your race keep in mind that you want at least 16 to 18 weeks to train for it.

I'll be running my 4th half marathon in January (it's a Canadian thing, eh!) and my first full marathon in May 2013.

Brrrr! A half in January would be cold. I like running in the heat better. I actually get more dehydrated in the cold because I don't feel like I'm sweating.

I am continuing to train. I have Brew-to-Brew (it's a relay) during the first week of April and warrior dash in May, I will also likely do a lot of local 5k races, especially anything where work picks up the cost to register.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you want a great fall Marathon the Detroit International is in the fall. The route has two international crossings. You run the first three miles in Detroit the take the Ambassador Bridge into Windsor Ontario. After a few miles in Canada you run the only underwater mile in a Marathon by taking the Windsor Detroit tunnel back to the US from there you have 16 or so miles winding through the city. Total participants somewhere around 24000 between the full and two half marathons run that day.
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    A really popular marathon is Portland in October. It's an easy course too.

A general rule of thumb for predicting a full time is to take your half, double it, and add 10 minutes (or is it 15?) so I figure you'd be ale to finish in about 5 hours. Obviously there are other factors like if it is hilly or hot that would add to your time.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    A great September marathon is the United States Air Force Marathon in Dayton Ohio. It is a large and well run event. The Air Force fighter jets and bombers flying overhead add great motivation.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ran the KC Marathon in 2004 and the Olathe Marathon in 2003. Not sure if either are still around but these would be good choices.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    a big congratulations! for finishing a half! My half will be in June and then full in 2014. since i'm originally from boston, ma i plan on making the Boston Marathon my first full. it's the oldest marathon and it holds a special place in my heart. I was lucky enough to work down the street from the start line and also at the finish line.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    GRANDMAS marathon In Duluth, MN. Ran my first Half there last year. AMAZING
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A great September marathon is the United States Air Force Marathon in Dayton Ohio. It is a large and well run event. The Air Force fighter jets and bombers flying overhead add great motivation.

I second the Air Force Half-Marathon! It was my first half, and I will do it over and over again! You get to run on areas of the Air Force base that civilians normally don't get to see. You run under the wings of a fighter right before the finish line.

If you register on January 1st, 2013, there is a $10 discount.

I'm doing my first full, the Flying Pig in Cincinnati, OH in May.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    "I'm doing my first full, the Flying Pig in Cincinnati, OH in May."
    [/quote]

//

You picked The Flying Pig as your FIRST Marathon? EEK! I hope you like running on hills!
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I ran the San Diego Rock 'n Roll Marathon in 2007 and then the half in 2008. It's a great city and can also be a vacation for the family. Unfortunately my running days are behind me, but best of luck!

Also, I ran with SD Track Club, it was awesome.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

That is a definite possibility. I do like races for a cause.

Columbus was my first 1/2; it's a great course even for the full. It's in late October and about 18000 strong. The full doesn't sell out until usually a week or so before the race. I'm contemplating training for the full then depending on how my rehabing of my IT and my 1/2 in May goes. If I get close to a 2 hr finish which is my usual pace before injury I'm going for it.