Calculating Jillian Michael's 30 day shred?

Options

Replies

• sarahcarlson06
    sarahcarlson06 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished day 7! It does get easier, just like she says!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM - I only get 180-190 per session on level 1.
  • shoecrazy
    shoecrazy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is HRM?
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Level 1 of 30DS I burn about 160-170, level 2 180-190 per my HR monitor AND I'm doing the whole thing, not taking breaks.
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    I just searched it and it came up for me "Jillian Michaels 30 day shred" :)

Hi,
    I'm trying to log level 1 as well, but I couldn't find it.
    I've never logged exercise so I'm probably not very good at it :tongue:

I searched both in "cardio" and "strength training" database but nothing came up.
    How exactly did you add it? Thanks!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    circuit training is your best bet if you aren't using a HR monitor to add it in.
  • marymary20
    Options
    with the Jillian Michaels workout do you do level 1 for 30 days then move on to level 2?
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's 10 days at each level (so 10 at level 1, 10 at level 2, etc.).

I use a HRM and I've gotten anywhere between 180 and 260 for how hard I try. When I do it intensely and have it on for a cool down (heart rate still elevated), it's usually about 250. That's 26-27 minutes total.

I'm short - 5' 0", 125 lbs, so taller people may be burning more.

Also, I'd definitely recommend the heart rate monitor. Even if it isn't entirely accurate, just seeing the difference day to day helps you push harder. After doing it a few times, I set my goal to burn 70-80 calories in each circuit and I can keep my pace by glancing down every 3 mins or so. Really helps the workout.
  • kristinasyoung
    Options
    Do the majority of you use your own free weights at home for this? Or do it at the gym? What kind of weights do I need? (I'm looking at purchasing the shred or the ripped.)
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    as others have said i was adding it as circuit training, BUT it adds on more calories than i've actually calculated using my HRM. I'm 5'1.5" and 105 lbs, and I burn about 123-130 calories doing 30DS level 1.

kristinasyoun - there's a relatively cheap 30DS kit on amazon that includes a mat and two 3-lbs weights. i use those.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any of you can 'add it yourself' to the list if you want your exercise to be posted AS 30 Day Shred... do the search for exercise and under the empty search results box there's a line stating ..

"can't find what you're looking for? add to the database"

For clarity that adds to your PERSONAL list of exercises, so if you added it of course it'll come up in a search for cardio... but your 30day shred doesn't come up in my results. "We" as users don't have the calorie burn formula to contribute allowing MFP to calculate the burn for other users based on our entry alone.

Circuit training in the database is an entry that represents workouts that combine cardio and strength in the same workout... so things like 30 day shred, insanity, p90x etc could be tracked as it. It doesn't "matter" the name they give something, fitness is a multi-billion dollar industry, they've got to give things a new name once in a while, so nothing wrong with picking a generic exercise that covers what the workout is if you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor.

zumba is marketed for the wii and via their own infomercial as "dancing" which is in the database
  • rkkm29
    Options
    @shoecrazy...HRM stands for heart rate monitor. I have a Polar that I've been using for a little over a year now and won't exercise without it. :)
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    What is HRM?

Heart Rate Monitor
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Do the majority of you use your own free weights at home for this? Or do it at the gym? What kind of weights do I need? (I'm looking at purchasing the shred or the ripped.)

You can do the shred for free on youtube. I use my own weights at home.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight at this point? If so I wouldn't log it. I don't think it is enough of a calorie burn to log, i.e. eat back the calories burned. If you're trying to lose weight I'd just eat the regular amount of calories and think of it as bonus calories burned. If I would guess I would say 100-120 calories. I've done all 3 levels and I don't believe you work out long enough at enough intensity to really get a big calorie burn (not saying it is a bad workout, just not real intense).
  • amberlee08
    amberlee08 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 132lbs and i burned 212 the other day doing it. (I use a Polar HRM) Its been awhile since I've done it so i'm out of shape again. Usually i burn under 200. i usually add the elliptical to the days i do 30ds
  • Momma1213
    Options
    I just started day 1 too. I didn't think it was overly intense either and was disappointed. Now, 3 hrs later, I hurt. So I must have done something right and I will stick with it! As for calculating, I've been using the Endomodo app and selecting Aerobics. I assume it's not 100% accurate but I'm hoping it's close. Good luck fellow 30 dayers and feel free to friend me!
  • kristinasyoung
    Options

You can do the shred for free on youtube. I use my own weights at home.

thanks so much for letting me know!
  • walts1girl
    Options
    What is an HRM?:frown:
  • cindylmanly
    cindylmanly Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Me too. Mine too!