Do you feel skinny even with the extra skin?

Options

Replies

• Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I use lotion every day, take multivitamins, use sunscreen every time I got out into the sun, make sure I'm not loosing TOO fast, and do strength training and Cardio, as well as Yoga, and the end result: 54 lbs so far, and no loose skin. I have had two kids, but I used lotion every day of my pregnancy too, and after. I have stretch marks, but the skin is still pretty resilient. I'm 35 years old. It's a lot of work, but it can be done.
  • 38meanie
    Options
    First and foremost...congrats on your amazing transformation! You look great! Like others have echoed...you're not alone with this unfortunately unsightly and sometimes downright uncomfortable predicament. I've had 3 cesarean sections over the course of 9 years...3 beautiful kids but they left me with a huge amount of scar tissue from the procedures and a "badge of honor" (thanks RJH1975) stretch marked belly. I just recently (its been over a year-lol) started to think more about myself and wanted to try and lose all the weight gained over the years...have about 30 more to go according to the docs.I have been able to maintain my weight loss with a few pounds up and down occasionally but have some general control. Like someone said "baby steps" ...just wanted to chime in and follow this as well to see what other suggestions come up :)
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You really do look amazing!!!! I'm hardly into my journey as I'm just under a quarter of the way to my goal (15/80 lbs) but I definitely sympathize - I have a large belly and I just know it's going to stick until I'm driven mad! :P

Best of luck with your toning! I really hope whatever you try works! :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I'm not skinny yet and probably never will be. I still have about 15-20 to lose until i reach my goal. But wanted to say that the skin is usually the reason I feel horrible about myself most days. Until it's gone (from my stomach) I probably will never g et rid of the screwed up image I have of myself.
  • Overboard_Eater
    Overboard_Eater Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's like you're in my head today. I'm 5'6" and 38 years old. I've had two kids 10 years apart. I have lost a total of 74lbs from my highest weight. My body fat percentage is 1% away from the fitness range. I am down to 150 and bought my first pair of size 6 pants the other day but all I focus on the past few days is the dreadful doughy stomach.

I remind myself that I didn't get into this for the looks. I did it for my health and I have met and exceed my original goals in that aspect. I started and completed Couch to 5K. I've done the 30 day shred and just started Ripped in 30. My arms and mid thigh down look muscly and toned. My collar bones stick out like sticks. All the extra fat/ skin is in my torso and high thighs. I wanted to be fit and I am. But it is still so hard to look in the mirror and see the damage I have done. It will be a constant reminder. If I could ever afford surgery, I've decided to go for a boob job because that is another area where the fat just melted away...

I will allow myself a few more days to wallow in this body hatred but then I will be moving on. I am joining a gym in January to start training for my sprint triathalon in July 2013.

To me no matter how the body looks once at weight maintenance mode the health and mental (most days) rewards are worth every saggy inch!

PS I love MyFitnessPal because in no other place can I express both the joy and agony that comes from weightloss. Carry on all of you.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was 370...yah. For about five years and 225 is where I'm at right now....I know I'm going to have extra skin, and I'm going to hate it.
    You know what though? If you focus entirely on the positive...the smaller clothes, people turning to look at you, improved health....it kind of makes it ok for me. I'm not getting surgery....I saw what it did to my mother. It looked like they cut her in half... :(

I think it's a personal battle, another thing that you have to overcome- just like the overeating.
    It's not easy but not impossible either. Honestly OP if I can look like you do at the end of my journey...I dunno it would be amazing. You're a beautiful woman.

Also try to remember that it takes two years of intense work outs to see what your body is capable of repairing. My skin is surprisingly going back pretty well, and to a point there is nothing you can do about skin, but I've been drinking tons of water, wearing tight undergarments and using a lotion on my skin (Nothing special, just lubraderm.)

Will I ever look like Jillian Michaels (Shes my hero.) Prolly not, but seeing the way I'm changing is enough to keep me going. We have to forgive our bodies and not be too hard on ourselves. A woman I met at my gym was so sweet...I told her if I ever looked like her I'd be the happiest person in the world....She confided in me and showed me her skin, she used to be about 300 pounds, and told me to keep going...:)

So keep going! :)
    Hopes this helps, even just a little.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I still have about 30 pounds to go and I can see my tummy and thighs are not going to be pretty. But the grossest thing is my upper arms. I'm working really hard on building muscle and becoming defined and I can see it under my nasty skin but it's depressing that my arms look so gross. Once I hit my goal, I am going to get a consult and see what I can do. I swear I'll drive my old car forever and pay on surgery in lieu of a car payment. #HATE MY ARMS
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    When I saw your pictures it was like looking in the mirror. Please know you are not alone and that I feel the same everytime I look in the mirror. I am down from a size 24 to 6 but I still feel 'heavy' due to some extra skin. I sometimes feel more unhappy now then I did when I was bigger because I 'filled out' the skin more. I started getting discouraged due to not seeing much improvement and even stopped exercising for 2 months because I didn't think it mattered to exercise since it wasn't helping. I think I will always feel fat. But I know I can't stop exercising just because I don't see results with the skin but it still saddens, me none-the-less, because I have worked so hard!
  • meyerstwilight6
    meyerstwilight6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok first of all...I sooo understand. I have a bigger hanging skin flap than you and I get it...I look in the mirror and only see fat. Even though everyone else says I look great.

It doesn't matter that they say it....they don't see me naked. I cover up good. I want to look in the mirror and think I look ok. Not even hoping for awesome...just ok. After losing 130 pounds, I wanna feel NOT fat.

Here's the deal....yes, it is true that JUST skin is only millimeters thick. However the fat deposits behind the skin in the belly area are extremely stubborn. My doctor said she wants to see me maintain, or at MAXIMUM lose 20 pounds. This would leave me with a healthy amount of body fat. The fat in my skin roll is not going away. I am losing body fat from elsewhere first. So it is unrealistic that the fat in the skin roll would ever be completely gone unless my body fat were below 10-15%. Pretty much unattainable for unathletic me.

Now I have basically zero fat left inside my abdominal muscles...it's all attached to the skin roll. The only way to get rid of it is with surgery. Which I have decided to do in January. I need to feel ok with myself. My flabby skin on my arms and chin...oh well...I don't expect to be perfect. But this roll off my belly is holding up the whole show!

Edited to add a photo....gross but maybe helpful?

photo-001.jpg

And here's me...with clothes...(middle)...not bad, right? Except all I see is the fat skin roll hanging out under the bottom of my shirt and I wanna cry.

IMG_2379-001.jpg

OMG...you look awesome. Honestly. If I saw you walking on the beach rocking a bikini I wouldn't be paying any attention to that small little trouble area. You look thin and fit to me. I do know how you all feel though. I have the loose skin exactly where you do. I never did until I gained 70 lbs with my son and lost it all plus a little more. You look fab... be proud of yourself! :)
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone! Thanks for all the support & sharing your stories. I am trying everyday to feel better about myself & just try to stay positive. I need to be happy and look how far i have came. I'd rather be fit with saggy skin than 80lbs heavier again. But as one of you ladies said, its hard to not get sad when you've worked so hard to try to get the body you have dreamt of and it not happening. I will tell you what though. I am going to give it maybe another yr or two but i will probably end up getting a tummy tuck. My insurance isnt going to cover a dang thing so i will have to save up.
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There's hope! Mine's almost gone - no surgery and just home workouts.

I'm down 61lb from 198lb (at 5'4) and my sagging skin was fairly noticeable on the bottom of my tummy. I have done lots of heavy lifting until earlier this year when uni and a lack of money meant I had to stop it for awhile. BUT I picked up 30DS at the end of October and by the end of that my sagging skin had improved dramatically. I've started RI30 and only 3 days in I'm seeing improvements. I never ever thought I'd get into a bikini but that's not looking like it's too far away!

I'm convinced it's just a case of being patient and working out, the saggier you are the longer it will take of course, but keep going. You'll also find that as you get smaller even a slight change in body composition makes a huge difference.

ETA: I've also had a baby and a tonne of stretch marks and if my skin can start to look normal after that there's hope for anyone!

So what is 30DS and R130?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the same boat. I'm 35 and I have a 3.5 year old and and 18 month old. I've lost 51lbs over 16 months, so I've done it slowly, but I still have loose skin. I've got about 10-15lbs to go and then i'll need to really work on toning. I'd never go down the surgery route, and since I live in England I don't have much need to prance around in a bikini, so it's not too big a deal.

I'm 5'6" and I was nearly 220lbs after having my baby and i'm now 167lbs and can wear a US size 8 in some trousers.
  • PoleDancerJessica
    Options
    Good Luck and you look great! I had the exact same problem, and my belly looked exactly the same way yours does after a 50 pound weight loss. Unfortunately, surgery was the only way to correct mine, sometimes I think it's just hereditary, and of course has a lot to do with the general make up of your skin (elasticity, etc). When/if you DO have money for the surgery, I say GO FOR IT! Mine was the best investment in myself that I ever made. I feel better, look better, have more confidence. BUT, if the surgery route isn't in the cards for you, don't get down on yourself, you look fantastic!
  • meyerstwilight6
    meyerstwilight6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone! Thanks for all the support & sharing your stories. I am trying everyday to feel better about myself & just try to stay positive. I need to be happy and look how far i have came. I'd rather be fit with saggy skin than 80lbs heavier again. But as one of you ladies said, its hard to not get sad when you've worked so hard to try to get the body you have dreamt of and it not happening. I will tell you what though. I am going to give it maybe another yr or two but i will probably end up getting a tummy tuck. My insurance isnt going to cover a dang thing so i will have to save up.

I am sure I will too. I have actually priced them. Around here in NH they are around 6,000. I am probably going to save up for one :)
  • tigstoy
    Options
    I lost 100lbs and I had the big belly flap too, so I decided to opt for surgery. It was the best decision I have ever made. Totally worth the $$ and I would do it again in a heart beat. I want to do my thighs next.
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a lot of weight I dropped 84 lbs, My skin was not loose, but no matter what i still had that little indent, reminding me of the "butt stomach" I had. Even at a rather small 116 lbs and a size 2 I always had a little pudge right there on my lower belly and that stuuuuupid line. I'm on try #2 to lose weight again after gaining a lot post surgery/illlness and I would also love some advice for getting rid of that.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Moms out there: this site might make you feel better.

http://theshapeofamother.com/

Thanks for sharing that site!!!!
  • paszekmonika
    paszekmonika Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby and have 35 pounds to lose. I'm POSITIVE I'll have loose skin because it's already sagging and I'm still FAT. I have a million stretchmarks, that are awful, dark red and purple and COVERING my entire stomach. But to answer your question, yes I probably will still feel fat.

If it's dark red and purple you can still get rid of it only by using creams. Much much worse is if it's white and small.
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty safe to say that if you stick with the program, that extra skin will firm up. My reasoning is that you're still young and your skin still has a lot of elasticity. It's a lot different for us when we get older. That was, for me, the true sign that I was aging - I can pinch some skin on the top of my hand, and it takes quite a few seconds to flatten out again, if at all.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs and I had the big belly flap too, so I decided to opt for surgery. It was the best decision I have ever made. Totally worth the $$ and I would do it again in a heart beat. I want to do my thighs next.

I'll say it again and I can't say it enough... having my tummy tuck was the best money I ever spent. I considered have my thighs done, too, but while I was saving up for that they improved enough on their own that I didn't feel the need anymore. A lot of people get a "boob lift" at the same time as the tummy tuck. I didn't, but I was 57 when I got mine done and I felt I was still "perky" enough for someone my age. I wasn't trying to look 18, because let's face it, that's never going to happen! I just wanted to be comfortable in my own skin, but with less of it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!