Insomnia and exercise...

Options
I have recently started working out again (after doing absolutely NOTHING). I do my workouts after I get home from work (it's the best time for me (I am NOT a morning person). So I am doing them between 630pm and 8 roughly. I give myself time to cool down, relax and shower afterwards. Then I usually go to bed around 10-1030. I have been waking up at the least 4 times a night and will lay there with my mind going 100mph for about 10 min. then fall back asleep to do it again.

Is it the exercise or the fact I have a lot on my mind that is doing this? It seems to have started when I started the workouts. I even took Z-quil last night and it STILL happened! A little more tired when it did, but it sitll happened.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Can exercise in the evening cause disruptions in your sleep patterns?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Could be either.

I am not much of a morning person myself, but I made myself into one. I ensure I get enough sleep to do this. If my alarm clock wakes me up, that means I went to bed too late. Best is to let yourself sleep fully one day and then see how long that took, from there, plan your sleeping accordingly so that you naturally wake up around the time you need to.

Exercising in the morning also really helps make the morning feel more energized.

So, if your insomnia does not go away soon, it may be better to work out mornings.
  • tammatha1
    tammatha1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Dana. Try swapping to morning for a few days and see what happens. It's worth a shot. I know I sleep well through the night....lol