is 600 to 800 NET cals per day too low?

Options
i used eat about 1300-1500 calories the first month i joined mfp(cant rem my net calories then) here am i in my second month &my calorie intake has gradually dropped and i have to purposely eat something extra even when am not hungry to get it up to 1300(above 1200) and Net calories usually comes out to about 700 per day,i know since i eat up to 1200cal,that its ok but recently reading some posts on MFP has kept me wondering if 700 NET calories is small.

CW -180lbs
GW- 145-150lbs
height - 5ft 8"

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    It is. Eat back your exercise cals!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Ya....its pretty much an eating disorder
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Definitely not enough. If you were 18" shorter and 75lbs lighter, it MIGHT be enough.
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    wow am surprised,thanks everyone
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes way too low. You put yourself in risk screwing up your metabolism.....making weight loss and maintaining that loss more challenging down the road. Pick a sensible calorie goal, eat and enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    This creates catabolism. Loss of lean muscle will SLOW your metabolic rate which intern will cause stalls and plateaus. Never undernourish the body when you're on a weight loss trek.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yes... the reason why mfp says at he bottom of each day when you submit ...if you are under 1200 , you are eating to low and gives you the risk associated with it! In the long run you are killing your metabolism!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You will struggle to get enough quality nutrition into that, you nee to fuel you workouts and weight loss - not just calories but vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and essential fatty acids for health. When you exercise regularly your micronutrient needs increase.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This creates catabolism. Loss of lean muscle will SLOW your metabolic rate which intern will cause stalls and plateaus. Never undernourish the body when you're on a weight loss trek.

IDEA Fitness member

pretty much this. ^ Want to eat a LOW TINY amount of calories indefinitely so you don't gain weight back?

Also, want to get to your "goal weight" and still look flabby and fat?

Trust me you want to consume adequate calories and protein to try and ensure MOST of the weight your losing is FAT not muscle.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Put your numbers in here and see what it says...

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^

That's why yo-yo dieters gain all their weight back. Your muscle burns calories while at rest - less muscle/lean body mass, fewer calories burned maintaining your body. Your metabolism is worse off than when you were overweight. You want the opposite. Build lean muscle with weighted/resistance exercise and feed your body to be strong and healthy.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yes
    :angry:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^

That's why yo-yo dieters gain all their weight back. Your muscle burns calories while at rest - less muscle/lean body mass, fewer calories burned maintaining your body. Your metabolism is worse off than when you were overweight. You want the opposite. Build lean muscle with weighted/resistance exercise and feed your body to be strong and healthy.

Quoting for good advice!
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^

Could not have said it better myself! No matter how much I try to explain this to my father he keeps starving himself then gains all the weight right back. Lost 40 lbs this summer (way too fast) and he's already starting to put it back on. Eat healthy and don't starve yourself!!!!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should eat.

cute-diet-eat-funny-girl-370533.jpg
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    You seem surprised that people told you that it's too low but I think you already knew before even posting. If you feel you have to force yourself to eat to get to that number, then just eat something higher in calories-for a snack, grab some nuts or have peanut butter and an apple or for breakfast do toast and peanut butter
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think you said you were and are still trying to EAT at least 1200 and you're netting less because you are exercising?
    I don't always eat my exercise calories back but most days I try to eat at least half back.
    They are right about fueling your workouts but I would say kudos for trying to do the right thing by EATING the 1200 at least initially. Even if you have had to force those 1200 in lately you need to keep doing that or you will lose muscle mass.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm your height, started at 162lbs, and am currently about 137lbs - I eat around 1700 (sometimes over 2000) calories a day.

Have a look at this topic, and run your numbers through the tools at the links provided there (same site another person posted above) - great info, great tools to help you figure out how much you should be eating: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12