Low Carb Lunches For Working Folk?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new here, and brand new to a low-carb diet. I've got a few go-to dishes (grilled chicken balsamic salad, turkey lettuce wraps, chicken brats, etc.) that I take to work with me, but I was just curious to see if any of you low carb dieters wanted to share what you've been taking into work for lunch. I definitely wouldn't mind adding some new dishes to my lunch routine.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Paleo beef jerky and bulletproof coffee
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to pack a variety of things. I'm not a huge salad fan but I like cut up veggies, so a typical lunch for me is 1/2 cucumber sliced up, a couple of carrots, a cup of berries, an oz of cheese, and some protein. Maybe leftover from dinner, or if I'm desperate some lunch meat roll-ups.

Today was a decadent lunch, but one of my favorites. Pear slices and blue cheese wrapped in pancetta. Yum.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Torn up pieces of chicken breast mixed with cottage cheese and curry powder then microwaved, veggies on the side. It's like a super healthy chicken curry!
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Big Mac in a bowl,Buffalo wings,tuna salad w lettuce wraps,Tacos on lettuce wraps,Bunless burgers,boiled eggs,nuts.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Omelettes, crustless quiches, stir frys often work well cold (dependent on veg)- or quickly zapped through the micro, soups or even bunless burgers. (Although I tend to find I'm not that keen on bunless beef, but bunless tuna works well!) Then of course there's salads as well- one of my favourites is a good old tuna + boiled egg + salad.

I think leftovers may be your friend here, just make up an extra portion of whatever you have for dinner and go with that. That'd add a nice bit of variety. :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Leftover dinner! When I'm preparing meat at night, I'll cook extra to have lunch for the next day. Then I'll add in a salad or sliced veggies.
  • 89daysonly
    Options
    bump
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I often bring salads made with my leftover protein from the night before. Steak salad with avocado and blue cheese dressing is a staple lunch for me. Chicken caesar is good (no croutons of course).

I just recently made a big batch of creamy cheddar and broccoli chicken which reheats extremely well (roux + milk + cheddar cheese for the sauce, lots of pan fried chicken breast, broccoli and onions cooked with some beef stock and all mixed together and baked for 30 minutes to combine). A serving has about 700 calories with 13 grams of net carbs (the milk and roux are the killers), so it's not a perfect low carb meal but it tastes amazing and can easily be budgeted in.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new here, and brand new to a low-carb diet. I've got a few go-to dishes (grilled chicken balsamic salad, turkey lettuce wraps, chicken brats, etc.) that I take to work with me, but I was just curious to see if any of you low carb dieters wanted to share what you've been taking into work for lunch. I definitely wouldn't mind adding some new dishes to my lunch routine.

I usually take cook extra and take left overs to work the next day.

Anything that is Meat and veggies is great!

I made a large crockpot of chili over night last night and that will feed my husband and I for lunch today, supper tonight and lunch again tomorrow.
  • kevinjshook
    kevinjshook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas in here. Thanks, everyone! Keep 'em coming.
  • Joyfulpiano
    Joyfulpiano Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can use some suggestions too for my husband who works shifts, and sometimes needs to take 2 meas in one day. I'm on Body by Vi shakes and it's working for me. I think he would need more than shakes though, to get him through the day.

Anything other than a lot of bread (sandwiches) would help!
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Leftovers!! My favorite snack is some cut up celery with natural peanut butter.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I make a couple of slow cooker meals on the weekend, portion them out and freeze them and I'll have a selection of lunches and dinners for the week.

My faves are roast beef, chicken breast cooked in tomato sauce, and pulled pork [you can find low carb/sugar free sauces for this]
  • wade78
    wade78 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Some protein and salad if I'm desprate. I usually make a couple of dishes on a sunday from here http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

I then freeze them in portions and have that for lunch. Some of the recipies are so easy to make!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a taco salad without the flour 'bowl'. Lean meat, lettuce, cheese (if you want it) and pico.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i like to mix up a quick tuna or chicken salad or use leftovers. also i get low carb wraps from trader joes and they are really good with anything on them. I use them for pizzas or chicken or whatever you want on top.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I can use some suggestions too for my husband who works shifts, and sometimes needs to take 2 meas in one day. I'm on Body by Vi shakes and it's working for me. I think he would need more than shakes though, to get him through the day.

Anything other than a lot of bread (sandwiches) would help!

I have to do this for my husband too and i usually do 1 sandwich with wheat or rye bread and a container of leftovers too. Usually turkey meatloaf, cut up cooked chicken and rice, or something similar.
  • 724a
    724a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My schedule is very tight during the week so I usually cook on the weekend for the whole week. Then I can pull stuff out of the fridge and reheat as needed during the week. My target is about 60 carbs per meal to give you an idea what I'm aiming at.

I change it day-to-day but have the same basic layout: salad with low sodium dressing, ~10 seedless grapes (or some other fruit), quinoa or rice mixed with peas & carrots, non-fat Greek yogurt (usually vanilla), and protein. The salad usually includes iceberg (for crunch) and romaine, spinach or something else. And, of course, other stuff like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, grape tomatoes, etc.

The protein usually includes beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, boneless/skinless chicken thighs (using a low-sodium breading I make with ground rolled oats) or turkey. Shredded or cut up. I don't bring fish to work but I might do a seafood salad.

In the end, it's a lot to eat and really fills me up without going over my targets for the meal. I have not been hungry on this 'diet'.

I hope this helps.