How to construct a HIIT workout?

Options
So i got a lot of input saying to invest in a HIIT workout? I'm just not to sure where to start..

Replies

• sxyfitmomandwife
    sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Pick the cardio machine of your choice (treadmill, elliptical, rower, bike, swimming) and perform a 5 minute warm-up.

Then take time to stretch properly and you are ready to begin.

Start at a moderate pace for 1 minute, then crank up the pace to 90 or 95% of your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR).

Continue at this effort for 15 to 20 seconds, then slow down to your starting pace for another minute followed by another all-out sprint for 15 to 20 seconds.

20-30 miin
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Pick the cardio machine of your choice (treadmill, elliptical, rower, bike, swimming) and perform a 5 minute warm-up.

Start at a moderate pace for 1 minute, then crank up the pace to 90 or 95% of your Maximum Heart Rate (MHR).

Continue at this effort for 15 to 20 seconds, then slow down to your starting pace for another minute followed by another all-out sprint for 15 to 20 seconds.

20-30 miin
    That..sounds like death.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 7 More Times
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 7 More Times
    And that sounds a lot more manageable
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Here's one; bodyweight only, you can do it at home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NGhZUc00YhE

This will flatten you.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

20-30 miin
    That..sounds like death.
    It is very challenging if done properly. You can alter the work:rest ratios to make it easier (I normally do 20 second sprint 40 second rest for 10 minutes). The important thing is maximum effort for the work period.
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did one today. Just went for a run around a nearby school. 5 min warm up, 30 sec sprinting as fast as I could followed by 90 sec brisk walking or slow jogging. Repeated 5 more times followed by 4 min cool down. I did this after doing 30 min of circuit training (body weight strength exercises). Feel I got good workout in.
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options

This will flatten you.

^^ True Story
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options

20-30 miin
    That..sounds like death.

Yes but if you do it over time you'll really see an increase in your fitness level.

Highly recommend some form of interval training as a part of your fitness plan.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A true HIIT workout is 15-20 minutes TOPS. 30 minutes would not be manageable.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

This will flatten you.
    The warm up would kill me..LOL
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    some experts (such as mike boyle) will advise high exertion, then rest.. versus slow walk, etc..

Here is example of a HIT workout i do when on the road, if the hotel only has treadmills.
    2 minute warmup walk at 3.5 mph.
    I then jump off.. standing on the side rails of the treadmill.. increase speed to 6 mph
    70 second run@ 6mph
    jump off.
    rest 30 sec, while increasing to 7 mph..
    60 seconds at 7mph- then rest
    50 seconds at 8mph- then rest
    40 at 9mph- then rest
    30 and 10mph- then rest
    20 at 11 mph- then rest
    20 at 12mph. - then rest
    20 at 11- then rest
    30 at 10- then rest
    40 at 9- then rest
    50 at 8.. at this point 8mph will feel slow after the higher speed sprints.
    after this is complete. I shower, and go to the lobby bar for a well deserved cold beer. lol

NOTES:
    1) these are the speeds I am comfortable with, adjust for speeds you are comfortable with.
    2) I strive for 30 seconds rest. but at the highest speeds I might need 40 seconds before i feel recovered.
    3) I have also done 8mph workouts.. on for 30 off for 30 seconds. 10 rounds.
    4) adjust your work rest intervals based on your fitness level.. you might start at 20 on/40 off. and get up 2:1 ratio if very fit.
    5) one mode for timing is bpm recovery threshold.. you monitor your HR and start again after a 30 or 40 bpm recovery.
    6) you can also incorporate this for lifting or body weight exercises. the important point is that you need to have an actual program so that you are not hitting the same body part back to back.. In other words, you can do back, then jump pretty quickly to chest and then to legs as you are not using the same muscles on two consecutive movements.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just run between light posts, walk between light posts and keep up with this pattern lol
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

This will flatten you.

Fitness Blender on Youtube.. I'm about to fire up one fo their workouts right now. They DO kick your butt!
  • ConstanceMarieRuff
    Options
    Bumping this. I would also like to know. (:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on Youtube.. I'm about to fire up one fo their workouts right now. They DO kick your butt!
    [/quote]

I do these...they are EFFECTIVE believe me!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    fitness blender on youtube has good hiit workouts
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    A true HIIT workout is 15-20 minutes TOPS. 30 minutes would not be manageable.
    Agreed. If your doing it right, you shouldn't be able to do it this long. If you can do 30 mins, then you need to being pushing harder during your sprints.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    That..sounds like death.

First couple times with HIIT if you push yourself to where you are suppose to be, you will feel like death too.. Keep at it, less comfortable the better results.