Jobs that require sitting all day

At my job, I'm basically sitting for the full 8 hours and I find myself more hungry and wanting to snack more. I've been calorie counting and it's been adding up! Any suggestions for healthy snacks that will make me feel fuller for longer? Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,903 Member
    IMO, you're eating more out of stress/boredom. Sitting doesn't use up a lot of calories (not counting BMR here). If you've been snacking alot at your desk, then it's more out of habit than hunger.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    First and foremost... WATER!
    All the getting up to pee will keep your mind off snacking, and walking to the bathroom 27 times a day has to burn a few calories.
    I love the 100 calorie packs of microwave popcorn. Tastes good and takes a while to eat.
  • I know exactly how you feel my job is the same! and although im sure it is boredom the hunger pains are there! The last few days I have been bringing a pack of blueberry's snacking on them, I sometimes bring nuts but they are so high in calories. Popcorn sounds like a good idea...
    AND oh man I definitely get up at least 20 times a day to pee after all the water and green tea I drink at work!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    IMO, you're eating more out of stress/boredom. Sitting doesn't use up a lot of calories (not counting BMR here). If you've been snacking alot at your desk, then it's more out of habit than hunger.

Agreed, and I say this as a sedentary desk worker who changed their eating habits and upped their exercise outside of work in order to lose 30 pounds and maintain it. Mindless snacking while at a desk is waaaay too easy.
  • First and foremost... WATER!
    All the getting up to pee will keep your mind off snacking, and walking to the bathroom 27 times a day has to burn a few calories.
    I love the 100 calorie packs of microwave popcorn. Tastes good and takes a while to eat.
    I agree with this one. I'm also desk bound for 8 hours and what I do to keep boredom away is to do office exercises such as chair dips, jumping jacks, bodyweight squats/lunges and push-ups. Well you don't have to do all that I mentioned if you can't, if you are talking on the phone, get up and walk while talking. The key here is move more & you will forget the hunger.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    I drink coffee. Sugar-free gum is a decent alternative as well.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    I'm a SE and spend many hours in front of the computer. I agree with ninerbuff. It sounds like to me you are snacking out of boredom, stress, or convenience (the food is right there in front of you so you feel you need to eat it).

What works for me is drinking lots and lots of water and tea. I have a pitcher and water bottle at my desk which I keep filled with water or unsweetended tea. Everytime I feel the need to drink, I fill my coffee mug up and drink a glass.

Also, every hour or so when the need to snack hits you, I will take a walk. The change in environment will help take your mind off the snacking.

Finally, examine your meals. Your meals might contain too many simple carbs. I suggest trying to intergrate more complex carbs.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    I have a sitting job: Office and vehicles. In between that though I might need to drag very heavy weights or walk. Still...

It's been a while since I've been here and lowered my calorie intake, my system is now ok with less, so I don't get hungry really.... I only get some rage or cravings once in a while ..... Then, I will chew on a cinnamon stick.
    I could drink water, but when I am a lot on the road, it's not a good idea, coz where I go usually... there aint much restrooms other than maples or pines lol

But when I snack, I snack on stuff I have logged only. It can be a granola bar or veggies.
  • Desk job, as well. I'm a big advocate of apples & almonds for snacks. Also, coffee is my cheap way of preventing hunger, ha. Agree w/the water, too. Good luck!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I'm also stuck at my desk for at least 10 hours a day and no lunch break (I can eat, but I can't leave). I eat a lot of small meals throughout the day that I preplan so that I never feel the need to snack mindlessly. I bring bfast, mid morning, lunch, and mid afternoon foods with me every day (except Fridays, I can go out for lunch and I get a salad usually) and nothing more, that way I don't have any extra food to put me over my calories for the day.

My lunch bag staples:
    instant oatmeal
    greek yogurk
    light cheese stick or laughing cow cheese and pretzels
    tuna salad with crackers
    turkey deli meat (I roll it up and eat it, I don't like it with bread because I'm weird)
    apple, banana, and berries
    luna bar or some other protein bar
    sometimes I'll bring soup or leftovers
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Drink more water. Eat beef jerky.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    I sit at a desk all day too. Agree that snacking is out of stress/habit/boredom. Also agree with the water. I keep a big cup with a straw of water filled all day. And yes, I get up to go to the bathroom a LOT.
    I like to have four mini meals at work. breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack. seems like I'm always eating, so the mindless snacking doesn't happen as much. fiber one brownie or yogurt in the morning, luna bar in the afternoon. Also make jello snacks with real fruit, or maybe slam a protein shake. Sugare free gum and candies also help, but don't over do that or you'll have tummy trouble. :wink:
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    veggies and hummus.
    almonds
    oranges
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    I have the same issue. I break everything out and set goals...

Breakfast needs to be after 8:00
    Snack needs to be after 10:00 (usually string cheese... and I eat it string by string like a little kid so it lasts! :))
    Lunch needs to be after 12:00
    Snack needs to be after 1:30 (again usually string cheese)

I drink a lot of water and I make sure I get up and walk every chance I get.

Good luck! Boredom eating is a hard habit to break and almost halfway through my weight loss journey, it's still my biggest challenge!
  • alderman59
    alderman59 Posts: 22 Member
    I snack on fruit and vegetables all day long. I am a grazer so I eat a little every hour and avoid any large meal at work. Noon time I walk the stairs or go for a walk outside (weather dependent). When you go for a quick restroom break go to another floor and run the stairs.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    I also sit at a desk all day. I usually try to eat about every two hours (almonds, apple, yogurt, etc) and I drink tons of water. I also found taking a walk for lunch was nice. I used to eat lunch at my desk, now I try to walk and eat at my desk when I get back (this depends on the weather of course).
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    A thermos of decaf gets me through the day, and a big cup of water when I get in and at lunchtime.

Also, I used to have smaller meals spaced throughout the day, but that seemed to make it worse. Instead I try to have big traditional meals without snacks. Try each for awhile and see which works for you.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    im sitting all day long too *graphic designer*

and i sometimes snack out of habit/boredom and i have to watch out for that.

I try to keep healthy snacks around like apples, avocados ( they fill you up ) peanut butter, chopped up veggies with a bit of high fat dip like a cream cheese based dip so you only need a little to feel satisfied.

If i feel a snack attack coming on then i get up and walk wherever i can and get a drink of water, say hello to someone and then by the time i get back to my desk im not thinking about munching any more...i find this trains me to get used to NOT snacking so much in the future...and no more urges to either...

I also do this during the day:

Drink lots of hot tea ( no sugar or milk)
    Get up every hour and do pushups and/or squats
    wear ankle weights and walk around when i do get up
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Water, water, water! Keep pre-made healthy snacks handy. Like baby carrots and celery. Or Cucumber slices. 100 calorie snack packs(Thinsations, etc). Sugar-free gum or a hard candy will also help keep your mouth occupied so you don't feel like snacking.

Also, switch up your office chair for a balance ball. I did that almost a year ago and I still haven't switched back! Helps with posture and core strength. Instead of e-mailing co-workers, get up and walk to their desk to communicate. Every 20 minutes or so, take a break. Even if it's just standing up and doing some small stretches. I have an alert set up on my computer that comes up every 20 minutes for me to do that.

Good luck!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    I have the same problem--sit dwn job and find my self snacking more often; I try to select health snacks or low cal snacks. For example I'll eat nuts, granola bars, or 100 cal snacks--and yep, water helps alot; you fill yourself with water you won't want to eat :)