"wheat belly"

Options
124»

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wheat or not wheat - i've lost weight both ways. It is easier if your low wheat - you can eat more but then your resrticting variety as well. I do find i dont feel as "bogged" down when i eat low wheat - wheat makes me sleepy. I actually eat a few carbs before bed because i find i sleep better. No science from me just opinion.
  • LaPanadera
    LaPanadera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Naners61, have an open mind, test the stuff on yourself. We're all different, even if we come from the same family. I went low carb a year ago in February and when you do that, of course, wheat is a big no-no. I resisted reading the book b/c I thought it was just another book about low carbing, but it's more than that. Wheat is addictive.

In the book, Davis says that wheat has been hybridized (fancy word for genetic modification), to induce addictive tendencies. If you don't believe this, think about the last time you went out to eat, and they put a basked of bread on the table. How many people grab a second piece? And do you eat it plain? H*** no....! Go to www.wheatbellyblog.com and try some of his recipes. I love the recipe for pizza! I halved the recipe and used my own toppings! When you lose the wheat, rice, the potatoes you fill up on protein and non-starchy vegetables and lots of wonderful fat! I love fat, and I eat alot of it, and my weight just keeps dropping even though the only exercise I engage in, is walking 40 minutes a day, several times a week.

When I gave up wheat and sugar, i was sick for about 3 weeks, it was my wheat withdrawl period. But after I cleared that hurdle, my desire to eat sweets went way down. But I love to bake, always have, was I going to have to give up that too? I am happy to report that now I bake with almond flour, peanut flour, and coconut flour, among others. I used alternative sweeteners like stevia and erythritol and xylitol. I visit low carb blogs and get the most wonderful recipes! For Thanksgiving I made a Sugar Free Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake and it tastes just like pumpkin pie!

The beauty of going wheat free, and sugar free is my fact, that I could finally throw away all my inhalers for Asthma, the energy and clarify I have in my mind is priceless, nevermind the weight loss too! If you don't want to give up your high carbohydrate goodies, just say so, but don't bash it until you've tried it!
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i read the book. I'm a geneticist/biochemist (phd), also needing to lose some lbs (kg's here in canada).

The book is extreme, HOWEVER, the take away message from the book is simple: control your blood sugar/insulin/glycogen levels, and refined flour is bad, very bad, with a glycemic index greater than that of table sugar (information already known), and the fact that whole wheat and other grains can increase the insulin/sugar/glycogen impact on weight gain is what the other masterfully put into a long book. He didn't put quinoi on the forbidden list, but it is not a good grain - "hog wash" i say.

The impact really comes from the amount of the wheat/flour we have in our diets, cutting it down will control our weight gain, etc.

It's a good read, and something to have in your back pocket as you make your choices throughout the day.

I watched the Oliver Stone movie "JFK", but know that there's some truth in it, but also some hollywood.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    i read the book. I'm a geneticist/biochemist (phd), also needing to lose some lbs (kg's here in canada).

The impact really comes from the amount of the wheat/flour we have in our diets, cutting it down will control our weight gain, etc.

wow...a genetic biochemist thinks if we cut down on wheat and flour we can control our weight.

many obese people consume very little wheat or flour.

wheat and flour does not make us lose control of our weight.

too many calories of any kind is the problem and the only problem
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    youve twisted my words, my friend, twisted words, or maybe i didn't elaborate enough.
    It's strictly that the calories coming from the wheat/flour can be replaced with healthier alternatives that won't spike the insulin as much.

no need for patronizing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    youve twisted my words, my friend, twisted words, or maybe i didn't elaborate enough.
    It's strictly that the calories coming from the wheat/flour can be replaced with healthier alternatives that won't spike the insulin as much.

no need for patronizing.

how does quoting your exact words twist them?
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've cut wheat/grains out of my diet; haven't missed them and have been able to keep my weight down. That doesn't mean it will work for you -- keep them in your diet if you enjoy them. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is your own personal experience
  • millicent108
    millicent108 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My nutrionist says not to eliminate unless you really are alergic. My son swore by eating his first thing in the morning and then didn't touch bread products after that. He was a fitness buff.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I've cut wheat/grains out of my diet; haven't missed them and have been able to keep my weight down. That doesn't mean it will work for you -- keep them in your diet if you enjoy them. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is your own personal experience

I have cut grains also but it is my caloric control that keeps my weight in check.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

no need for patronizing.

oh noes the insulinz! What would happen if you held everything constant (cals and macros) but simply swapped out higher GI foods for lower GI foods?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here we go again. I think we're going to need some evidence that the GI has any significance outside the diets of diabetics.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think whole grains are certainly good for us relative to refined grains, but that being said people can have all kinds of food sensitivities, allergies, or other issues with particular foods.

Thanks to the poster for the critical review of wheat belly. Even though I am gluten free (it cleared up a problem with my skin I've had for forty years), some of what was in Wheat Belly didn't correspond to my experience. For one thing, when I gave up wheat I gained weight at the beginning. I was used to that bloated feeling to signal that I was full, and at first I ate much more than I needed while I waited for that feeling that never came. I had to relearn an entirely new sensation to signal what full was.

I can see how people could lose a ton of weight on Wheat Belly, though, he takes much more than wheat and gluten out of people's diets. For me it is far too restrictive. I know myself. I could follow it for a few weeks then my head would explode and I would eat everything I could get my hands one. I know this kind of restriction works for some people, but I am not one of them.
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    you can add raw nuts, avocado, etc.....fiber was my big concern once I started the diet, especially eating more eggs and cheese, but getting plenty of fiber. Still a little shy on potassium and iron, but slowly getting there.

What about Whole Grain rice? It is Gluten free, is it allowed on the "Wheat Belly" Diet? Never read the book but curious about the logic on this one.
  • LaPanadera
    LaPanadera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whole Grain Rice is not recommended b/c rice is a starch, and even if the bran (the whole grain part) of rice is intact, you will get a rise in the blood sugar. Not as much if you were consuming white or polished rice, b/c the fiber from the bran will slow down the impact, but a rise just the same.

Test yourself. Eat some and see how you feel or weigh. My DH used to be a big rice eater, but once he cut it out and replaced it with more vegetables, he lost weight effortlessly. I think we all have different thresholds for starches, figure out what yours is and go with that.