Can you eat salads everyday.

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I did that for about three weeks, then got really bored with it. Now I am doing meat, cheese, and crackers, and that's starting to get boring.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Green salads? Everyone else is saying be careful of the high calorie dressings, I'm gonna go the other route (always the contrarian...) Don't be overly reliant on eating ONLY green salads, as the calorie count is so low generally speaking (those bag salads at the grocery store for example tend to be under 100 calories per bag (4 servings)) that if you only eat plain salads, there's no way you'd be eating enough calories for the day. Salads make fantastic sides or appetizers, but be careful when you eat them as full meals, make sure you aren't shortchanging yourself on calories, which can sabotage weight loss just as much as overeating.

Adding meat to it helps out too.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Salads, unless super creative are soooooooooooooooooooooo boring. Then if they are creative...they are no longer that low on calories usually.

The biggest problem with creative salads is you either A. Make it yourself and its ultra time consuming, or B. You buy it and its ultra expensive.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    lol of course? whats the possible draw back?

as everyone said, as long as its a healthy salad, not bathed in dressing, and your otherwise meeting your nutritional needs for the day then eat as much salad as you like.

try eating salads daily for three months and then stop. your intestines will let you know that eating salads was a good idea lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Greens are excellent for you...you just have to make sure you're getting your other nutrients throughout the day as well, including carbs, protein and good fats. In terms of hitting a plateau, that's more of a calorie in/calorie out thing. If you're not getting enough calories, your body will go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolism, thus storing calories as fat rather than burning them.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    Salads are great! You can be very imaginative with them. They are also a great vehicle for healthy fats such as olive oil, fish, and avocado. Sprinkle on some brown rice, or add some chick peas. Diced chicken, sliced apples, nuts, seeds...the possibilities are endless. Also there are a lot of artisan lettuces available now, even in Walmart. You can get a lot of food, for fewer calories. I literally crave salads!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you eat salad every day, this will happen to you:

Mrbean.gif
  • Toniabr
    Toniabr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you like P90X?
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    just remember lettuce is considered water not a veggie..that's where a lot of people get messed up. If you are talking about a real salad..your main ingredients will be extra veggies (carrots, onion, cabbage etc) and some added green for roughage.

I try to eat a veggie loaded salad once a week. I do like the ready pac biastro's from walmart up by the lettuce. (I don't count it as my veggie though) but it makes a good meal for about 290 calories including the dressing that comes with it.

* spinach leafs are a different story -- those are considered a veggie -- iceburg lettuce is not
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I eat salad every night for dinner. Romaine lettuce (sometimes spinach), 25 grams of goat cheese, Half a bell pepper, cucumber, purple onion, 6 cherry tomatoes, raw mushrooms,115-150 grams of chicken up in that biotch and I'm set. Sometimes I throw some salmon up in there instead of chicken. No need to ruin a good fresh salad with dressing either. Been eating it religiously for 2 years. Still not tired of it.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    * spinach leafs are a different story -- those are considered a veggie -- iceburg lettuce is not

Learned something new. Thanks!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You may eventually get "burned out" if you normally like "variety", but definitely not bad. I have a brother who lost an EXTREME AMOUNT of weight eating salads every day and he has managed to have kept his weight off for a couple years now.
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Can. But I still need meat, fruit, oats n bread :p
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    One good thing about the salads is you have a flexibility to change so many ingredients, which will give you a different flavor every time. Personally, since I started my diet over 18 months ago, I had salad twice per day, every day as part of my main meal. You can add grilled turkey breast or shrimp or salmon as protein part.

You can have lemon flavor and garlic flavor. Bottom line, you can have salad and enjoy it without being bored (as some people state in this forum)

And the best part for me to see my cholesterol level down from 250 to 188 in 1 year without taking a single prescription pill. Hell, I am 50 years old and my Triglycerides are under 45 (where man my age normal should be 140). Even doctor asked me what the hell I eat to have TRG of the 20 year old.

EAT SALAD!!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    just remember lettuce is considered water not a veggie..that's where a lot of people get messed up. If you are talking about a real salad..your main ingredients will be extra veggies (carrots, onion, cabbage etc) and some added green for roughage.

So what your saying is.......

Lettuce counts as water?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Lettuce counts as water?

Yes.
    Water is used to grow lettuce.
    Lettuce retains said water.
    Lettuce = water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Lettuce counts as water?

Iceberg lettuce is comprised of roughly 96% water and has very limited nutritional value. If you want to maximize your calorie/nutrient ratio in a lettuce salad, go with darker, lose, open leaf lettuces like Romaine, Red Leaf, Butterhead, etc. Spring mixes, etc are pretty good too as they blend a number of these lettuces together along with some greens.

To get even more benefit, toss some actual greens in your lettuce salad...i.e. Spinach, Kale, Chard, etc...now that's the good stuff!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Salads are great. There's so much you can add to them. The possibilities are endless. The only thing you have to watch out for is the dressing :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If you eat salad every day, this will happen to you:

Mrbean.gif

LOL!

MMMMM ham salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, waldorf salad, ambrosia salad, ohhhh I'm gonna eat salads everyday now. Hello! VS modeling contract!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    In terms of calorie loss and following what everyone else is saying about the add-ons, yes, I think it's OK. My preference is to always use salads or green beans to get in my required veggies for the day and I have trouble finding easy, different colored veggies (that I like, of course) to add to my menu.