lifting weights at home

Options
I am going to add weight lifting(or at least try) into my daily routine at home. What weight would you suggest I use to start and how many different weights do I need. If a few which weights would you recommend for someone starting off?

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I really like ChaLean Extreme, by beachbody. She is really funny (if a little dated) and motivational. They only go about 35-40 minutes and fly by.

You can even do the workouts with resistance bands if you don't want to buy the weights. I have done it with both but prefer dumbbells.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am going to add weight lifting(or at least try) into my daily routine at home. What weight would you suggest I use to start and how many different weights do I need. If a few which weights would you recommend for someone starting off?

Go to a store where they sell weights and try them out. That will give you an idea of how much is heavy enough for you as well as helping you with pricing.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I lift at home & I've got the following:

0.5, 1, 2, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10 & 12.5kg

I started off fairly light but am now getting heavier!

Hope that helps :smile:

Edited to add I'm in the UK hence kg's & not lbs!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'd get a set of adjustable dumbbells to start. I'd also buy an adjustable bench & swiss ball, and check out some of the lifts in New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) which has a group here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

NROLFW calls for some barbell & cable lifts too, but they can be modified to use dumbbells, esp. for beginners.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Look on craigslist and get some there. And check out www.nerdfitness.com and www.scoobysworkshop.com for workout routines.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    craigslist.com

look for an olympic barbell + weights.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    craigslist.com

+1
  • gaston095
    Options
    What about bodyweight? you don't need to jump into weights yet :)
  • khl84
    khl84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just bought some kettlebells....10 and 15lbs. I will get a heavier one soon but at least I can work on my form while lifting some weight.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I lift at home - Chalean Xtreme, stronglifts (boring! ) and what ever else...I have adjustable dumbells (the most versatile I think) - up to 50lbs - currently deadlifitng with those so will need heavier soon... But I also do kettlebells - up to 25lbs...
    Start with what is heavy for you - and work from there...Go try out a few and look at some programs - I can definitely reccomend Chalean Xtreme - it's easy to learn and she is a seriously good instructor........
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started with an inexpensive bench and barbell set from Sears for around $100 with about 80 pounds in weights. Then bought some 2.5 and 5 pound plates so I could increase a little more gradually. Then bought a some more plates. Then had to buy a new barbell. Now I can go up to about 170 pounds. It'll at least last me until I finish Stronglifts.

I would have rathered go from Craigslist, but any listing was in some far-flung location with photos that looked like they were taken in Buffalo Bill's Chamber of Horrors, and I don't want to put the lotion on the skin. Between the money I'd spend on gas getting there and the risk to my personal safety, I'm opting to keep an eye out for sales at Sears and Dick's.

But I've spent about the same amount in the past 6 months as I would have spent on membership fees at the gym, which didn't have free weights, so I'm not complaining. :smile:
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I am buying what I need to start lifting at home (starting after the new year). I'm going to follow New Rules of Lifting for Women (was a good read, seems easy to follow and gets rave reviews from people).

I have a pair of dumbbell handles and 4 x 2.5 lb plates (all standard) for under $15. I will be purchasing some 5 and 10 lb plates (probably going to spend around $50-$75 on these) as well as a barbell in the near future. Should last me some time before I need to buy more 10 lb and some 25 lb plates.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i got all of my weights and bench off Craigslist. There is also a couple used fitness places around me that I plan on hitting for more weights (.50/lb) this weekend as I've maxed out my current set
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    if you're just trying to tone up and not bulk up, i'd use light weights (2 or 3 lbs) with lots of reps. I do a bunch of Jillian Michaels dvds for toning, and she only uses 3 lbs and she's wayyyyy in shape! She says it's better to use low weight and high reps.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I went by my local Goodwill regularly. I should have gotten the bench when I saw it, but didn't. I did manage to score a curl bar and about 150lbs worth of plates for extremely cheap.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    if you're just trying to tone up and not bulk up, i'd use light weights (2 or 3 lbs) with lots of reps. I do a bunch of Jillian Michaels dvds for toning, and she only uses 3 lbs and she's wayyyyy in shape! She says it's better to use low weight and high reps.

That's a myth. You will not bulk up, you will just lose fat and look fitter. It's okay to start with the smaller dumbbells if it's accompanying cardio, but you really need to read up on actual lifting programs, not just adding weight to cardio.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options

That's a myth. You will not bulk up, you will just lose fat and look fitter. It's okay to start with the smaller dumbbells if it's accompanying cardio, but you really need to read up on actual lifting programs, not just adding weight to cardio.

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    Also adding to this a lovely thread about the topic! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/814313-why-women-dont-but-should-lift-weights
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    craigslist.com

This. An olympic barbell weighs 40, and that should be a good starting point for something like Stronglifts.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength

Agreed! I did not start getting results that I wanted until I started lifting heavier. You do realize that Jillian works out off set, right? She didn't get the way she looks by just doing 30 day shred with 3 lb dumbbells.